Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Wickiup Reports

Looks like we may have to check out Wickiup on our way home from Spokane Valley. Maybe Father's Day weekend??? May have to pack some camping gear and spend at least one or two nites there.

Aw geeze you guys...we're looking at 14" as giant at our local lake...Looks like we're hitting Wicki-up in June on our way home from our Chelan, CDL, Loon, etc....trip. We are totally strung out on koke!!

I just paid attention to Froggie's (my wifey...from the luckiest fishguy in the world) post...sounds like an awesome daddy's day!!
    see you out there,
    Tortuga
    Last edited by tortuga; 04-28-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Wow you guys been fishing a different lake from what I witnessed,just got back First off the opener was ggood for most after that it has been down hill no afence,but we need accurate reports toolman all close to 18 inches need to get yourself a better ruler. I may offend some, but no plac e for egos a picture would be nice of these 18 inch fish. Yes the fish are big we weighted one 16 and half and it was just shy of 2 pounds. Fishing been extremely hard with no winter the fish are big and they are full and been off the bite. Just about everyone I talked to had one fish or just a couple. For 3 1/2 days we managed only 20 fish. Fishing buddy who are good fisherman were only averaging just a few fish perday. Fishing was difficult very. I just trying to give accurate report,that I witnessed. No room for egos. I think we need pictures these is starting to sound like another forum out there.

Fished Wickiup Sat-Mon. With the warm year it was an atypical opener. The water was warmer and the fish much further along than previous years. There was plenty of feed already so the fish were picky. It was cold and windy Saturday but Sunday and Monday were nice save for the foggy mornings. Three of us got 30 Saturday and 24 Sunday. Both days we easily lost half as many as we hooked. Yesterday I fished solo and got 11 but lost a bunch. The fish are in very nice shape. These were the biggest from Monday and ranged in size from 16.5 to 18.5 inches. The smallest one from yesterday was 14. It looks to be a good year.

Last edited by Fallriverguy; 04-29-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Wow you guys been fishing a different lake from what I witnessed,just got back First off the opener was ggood for most after that it has been down hill no afence,but we need accurate reports toolman all close to 18 inches need to get yourself a better ruler. I may offend some, but no plac e for egos a picture would be nice of these 18 inch fish. Yes the fish are big we weighted one 16 and half and it was just shy of 2 pounds. Fishing been extremely hard with no winter the fish are big and they are full and been off the bite. Just about everyone I talked to had one fish or just a couple. For 3 1/2 days we managed only 20 fish. Fishing buddy who are good fisherman were only averaging just a few fish perday. Fishing was difficult very. I just trying to give accurate report,that I witnessed. No room for egos. I think we need pictures these is starting to sound like another forum out there.
    note to moderator...I will try to be nice...

Wow...why you singled me out is odd...
    after cyphering you post, (your punctuation and grammar are terrible) (you should really proof read your post before you send if your gonna call someone out...)

I think I posted an accurate account of our weekend...including technique, dodger, terminal tackle and scent...the only thing I didn't include is location on the lake...
    we caught 14 kokanee in two days...what is the EGO problem there?

as I said in an earlier post...I took the biggest fish of the day to the twin lakes resort and they measured and weighed it for me...

we have over 75 years of kokanee fishing experience in our boat...and over 130 years of just plain fishing experience...for us to "know where to fish" and find the third year fish is not rocket science...

your right...this forum is getting like some others...with a couple JACK***** calling people out just cause they cant fish....

Attachment 7990
    Attachment 7988
    Attachment 7989
    Last edited by toolman; 04-29-2015 at 10:23 AM.

I measured every single fish we caught on the opener when I got home. Tallied an average and had 15.25" as an average length for the day. I know we picked up one 18" fish, and 8 more that were over 17". I did not tally how many were 16.5" but we had quite a few of those too. 18"-18.5" fish are coming out of the lake on a regular basis so far this year. The fishing has definitely slowed since opening day from all the folks and first hand reports I have been getting.

If I can add Toolman I feel the reader of the forum need honest reports you stated 10 of 14 fish over 17 1/2 inches Sorry dude that dog won't hunt yes the fish are big. There was no Winter over there the fish are big and off the bite. Numerous fisherman with very low numbers been there for 3 1/2 days Chukar Dave sorry dude can't argue with your counting the number you posted along with missed or lost fish averages about #1 fish every 5 minutes that's not experience that's untruth. Just feel readers need accurate reports. I fished with two other boats with a lot of experience they averaged about 4 fish a day. You managed a fish every 5 minutes RIGHT. The conditions were extremely hard and cold had 48 degrees and cold. I found no pattern had to use everything in the box everything was caught 15 ft or higher. Weighted one 16 1/2 inch fish was just shy of 2# fished averaged about 16 inches. Like I stated there was no Winter conditions in Central Oregon. These fished have been eating good for a while the fished I cleaned we're stuffed.

mrmike...

we also asked every boat within shouting distance...two of which where guides...there was not a lot of fish caught if you fished in with the "armada"...we don't...we have been on Wickiup for a long time and know of some spots that are VERY good...and not another boat around...hmmm...

with the conditions and the non aggressive bite...we thought we did well...

14 fish isn't a lot...10 fish over 17 inches on opening weekend...ill take it...

simmer down and quite calling people liars when obviously you where not in our boats...
    Last edited by toolman; 04-29-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Mike,

I have a hard time following your posts and understanding them. I just want some clarification from you. Do you think I am lying about how many fish we caught opening day? We fished for approximately 6 hours, 6:30-12:30, so averaged a fish in the box every 8.58 minutes. But did have a few triples that were all landed and several doubles, so there were stretches where we were not seeing any action. Definitely slowed down for us after 10:30
    Last edited by chukardave1; 04-29-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Nothing personnel,but yes and second your not even good at stretching that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Nothing personnel,but yes and second your not even good at stretching that.
    LOL...WHAT THE?

man you must have had a bad week end...

Toolman do you have a dog in this fight? you also stated from your report you stated you had talk with guides and they reported how things were. I just feel we need honest reports look on other post from other sources all the reports about the same. I'm intitle to my opion and two and two are adding up 5. For the record had a great weekend.
    Last edited by mrmike; 04-29-2015 at 03:38 PM.

More please. This is hilarious. Or in the tradition of this thread for misspelling.....This is halaireus

Mike

Feel free to get in contact with me and maybe we could set up a chance for you to come fish with me if you would like. I think you might change your mind. I never post inaccurate reports.

Can do thanks

Dave,

I always new you were an upstanding guy and one heck of a kokanee fisherman, but you are to be commended for taking the high road here. You get called out for being untruthful and fabricating fishing reports and your response is to extend an invitation to take him fishing.

mrmike, I hope you do take Dave up on his offer. You will find that he is a kokanee whisperer and that all of his reports are spot on true. I have fished next to him and it is a site to behold.

We can't wait to give it a try this coming June. Hope the kokes are still around. Excited to try some of our techniques we've learned while living in CA. Very different from New Mexico. We've got my favorite Murphy's bugs, Apexes, wedding rings, RMT, Uncle Larry's spinners, etc. My go to setup is a Crystal Basin Watermelon Wild Thing paired with a Murphy's Lollipop, pink corn with anise scent!!! Had a custom made one for Flaming Gorge and it worked there too!

Here's a picture of the 22 we boated on Saturday... And for the record I'll second what Fallriverguy says above, Dave has offered to take me on his boat and he has never steered me wrong....

Attachment 7992

Here's my second attempt to post a picture of the 22 we boated on the opener....

Attachment 7993

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Here's my second attempt to post a picture of the 22 we boated on the opener....

Attachment 7993
    I couldn't get mine to show either...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Toolman and Dave I had the experience. Saturday we netted 22 and one was right at 22 lbs, three others were right at 1 lbs 15oz. I did the same thing Dave was doing long-lining on the top and then ran my gear down to 13 ft. we had a great run between 530 and 7 and then it was steady after that. We left right about 1230. Saturday to Sunday was the same this year as it was for me last year. Last year we we had 27 on Saturday and only 4 the very next day. This year Sunday was a bit better we managed 8 but it took us until 1 to get there. The fish Sunday were not as big we only had one that went close to 2 lbs. we never trolled any deeper than 15 ft yesterday as well.
    My eyes popped out of my head when I read 22 lbs!!!....but I realize you must have meant 2.2 lbs...

Slow to dead today. 6 for 8 from 7am to 2pm. Beautiful weather and conditions but fish are gorging on bugs. No patterns or reason to what they hit. Still better than working though. Hope they get over this stingy behavior and get back on the bite soon. One fish was the biggest so far that I have seen this year at 18.5" so that was a good way to end it.

Chukardave1 - was the water temp about the same as opening day?

saw as high as 56 down by the dam. 50 in the deschutes channel Pretty close to the same

Well it was another slow day on the ranch. Four rods from 8:30 to 3 only scratched up 5 fish. One was 14.5 inches the rest between 17 and 18 inches. Lots of fish are being marked but they have serious lock jaw. Black was the best color today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast