Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Wickiup Reports

Default 2015 Wickiup Reports

Wickiup of course won't be open until April but the conversation as what to use, where fish, where to camp can begin. With almost no snow in the mountains the season for good fish will be very short this year, maybe shorter than last year. Fish early and fish hard.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Love this lake and your right on the money about snow melt. Usually when the water warms.I will switch to Odell.I already made reservation for the. RV the site is booked for the opener. I always been great fishing being so shallow get warm quick,but its all good

I will start the season at Wickiup, then when the bug hatch hits switch to Odell for a couple weeks until things settle down and then go back. Last year they really got lock jaw during the hatch, plus it was not comfortable fishing at all when there was no wind and the boat was covered with bugs.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

well...we are 2 months from opening day...
    ive got my camp spot reserved at Twin lakes RV...a few new ideas...ready to go!
    what does the lake look like? is there any ice?

Definitely no ice. Last time I was up there a month ago it was frozen and about 2-3' from full pool

According to the reclamation site: http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/destea.html

Wickiup is at 99% of pool, let's pray that it stays that way. Any concerns about how warm it is so early and what that will do to the bite on opening day?

Lived in Bend for almost 30 years and never done an opener. Finally bought a boat and invested half my kids inheritance in kokanee gear. So my plan is to head up to Wickiup on Thursday and set up camp at Gull Point. Cruise the lake with fish finder on on Friday then fish the weekend. Never fished wickiup before. One question, do you keep your boat in the water at night or pull it out? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

I will be there Thursday afternoon as well, camping somewhere in Gull Point. Look for a white f-150 and Black/White Boulton, come say howdy.
    David

Oldranger you can pull your boat up on the shore line. I never pull my sled out. Gull point has a lot of shore line and along the Des Arm. DLM be up the DES ARM at Twin Lake RV. Site will try and hook up. Arriveal on Friday. Looks like an early weather forcast look gooooood.

will be at twin lakes RV camp ground on Friday too...maroon F-350 with artic fox camper black/green Boulton...I don't have a water front site...is it still safe to leave boat on the beach...

I will be at the same site , the answer is yes. Just motor up the river you will find a place to nose in.I don't have a site on the river either there is always room.

I will be in site #9 in the RV park if anyone wants to come and say hi. Setting up Thursday, working Friday but will be up in the evening with my boat.I just pray the weather is as nice as today,... and the fish are biting.... and they are freakin' huge... Anyone else excited?

Yeah I don't think I am going to make it. Wickiup just doesn't do it for me anymore when it comes to kokanee. Are words you won't hear coming from me See you out there

Dave I nearly had a heart attack when I read the first half of what you just posted. I had to read it three times before it sank in and the stunned expression was gone from my face. I wish the weather this coming weekend was going to be as nice as what we just had last weekend. I'll be seeing you on the water for sure.

Ok the weather doesn't look that good for the opener. So if you could go whenever you want (any day of the week) and live within an hour would you still go this weekend or wait for better weather or both! I have those options and I'm a rookie!

thanks

Mike

I just check acc weather forecast a few minutes ago and it looked liked they changed the forecast little rain no issue I just don't like wind so be it.its all for the good.

Quote Originally Posted by oldranger View Post
    Ok the weather doesn't look that good for the opener. So if you could go whenever you want (any day of the week) and live within an hour would you still go this weekend or wait for better weather or both!
    BOTH!!

Living in Oregon as long as I have the old saying pops up the only folks that believe in the weatherman is new comers and Californian

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    BOTH!!
    toolman, I like your answer, as I'm listening to the rain and first thunderstorm of the season!

mike

The two best times to be fishing is when it is raining and when it ain't. As long as the wind does not blow it is all good. I think it will be good with manageable wind. See you all up there. I'll be commuting to the lake every day.

Due to weather and some last minute obligations my 2 fishing buddies wimped out on me. Please reply if you would like to fish with me at wickiup tomorrow. Give me a call at 541-410-8211

Mike
    Last edited by oldranger; 04-25-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Made it out for the opener with my Dad and 7 yo son. Cold, snowy at times, and then the wind came up. Blew us off the lake just before noon. Managed to put 42 on the deck before that. A couple triples that we were able to convert made for some fun firedrills. Bigger fish than normal for the opener. Hope that means some 20" fish by August? Surface lines started out pretty hot, but then slowed. Downriggers 12-17' did most of the heavy lifting after that. Pink micro-hootchies were most effective. Heard it slowed down quite a bit today. Hope to make it back out soon.

wow...what a difference in weather between Saturday and Sunday...the fishing was pretty good in the early am, we caught all but one of our fish on both days before 10...before the bite turned off we caught a total of 14 kokanee and one huge brown...our fish on Saturday were almost all 18"...our fattest weight in at the s. twin resort at 18" 2 lbs.! Sunday started crazy...I caught 4 big ones in about 40 minutes and then didn't get another bite all day...

we are thinking of entering the Kokanee Power tourney at Wickiup...from the size of the fish we got on the opener I'm wondering if 15 lbs. will be enough to win...lol

Quote Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
    Blew us off the lake just before noon. Managed to put 42 on the deck before that. A couple triples that we were able to convert made for some fun firedrills. Bigger fish than normal for the opener. Hope that means some 20" fish by August?
    Holy cow!!! Dave how big where the fish you where catching?

I think you got more than half the boats combined lol...nice job...

Toolman and Dave I had the experience. Saturday we netted 22 and one was right at 22 lbs, three others were right at 1 lbs 15oz. I did the same thing Dave was doing long-lining on the top and then ran my gear down to 13 ft. we had a great run between 530 and 7 and then it was steady after that. We left right about 1230. Saturday to Sunday was the same this year as it was for me last year. Last year we we had 27 on Saturday and only 4 the very next day. This year Sunday was a bit better we managed 8 but it took us until 1 to get there. The fish Sunday were not as big we only had one that went close to 2 lbs. we never trolled any deeper than 15 ft yesterday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    I did the same thing Dave was doing long-lining on the top and then ran my gear down to 13 ft...
    yea that is pretty much what we did...caught the majority of mine (9 for 12) on dick nite wonder bread dodger and home made green beaded spinner...

we only lost 5 fish...glass rods...patience and big sickle hooks...after all these years still learning lol...
    10 of the 14 fish we boated where over 17.5"...oh yea and a brown that went about 28-29"...

sounds like you had the flavor of corn they wanted...almost all ours where caught on mikes UV garlic gel...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast