Thread: 2015 Green Peter Reports

Default 2015 Green Peter Reports

GP is starting to get fished so lets read some reports. Early reports have been they are going to be small again this year. With the mild winter there will be a high survival rate of the hatch which does not help the size situation at all. We needed some high fast water to wipe out a bunch of eggs. Maybe next year.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    GP is starting to get fished so lets read some reports. Early reports have been they are going to be small again this year. With the mild winter there will be a high survival rate of the hatch which does not help the size situation at all. We needed some high fast water to wipe out a bunch of eggs. Maybe next year.
    Anybody been up to GP yet this year? What's the water level? Are there any kokanee biting? Inquiring minds want to know.

Was up there on March 20th. Caught 8 small kokes all between the island and where the portable toilets are in the summer time. All caught approximately 20 feet below the surface using anything pink in color. It was about 60 feet below full pool. Hope this helps.

Any body been to the lake lately? just wondering about the water level and the size of fish.

We went up the 4 th the water is still low but the top of the lower ramp is accessible & it looks like whitcomb creek is being used. Fish are small like last year 8-12", still scattered between the top & 50 feet. We caught 9 kokanee & a limit of trout, using wedding rings in green, pink & orange between 20 & 47 feet. It is still slow fishing, but it beats pulling weeds & cutting the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by oraca View Post
    We went up the 4 th the water is still low but the top of the lower ramp is accessible & it looks like whitcomb creek is being used. Fish are small like last year 8-12", still scattered between the top & 50 feet. We caught 9 kokanee & a limit of trout, using wedding rings in green, pink & orange between 20 & 47 feet. It is still slow fishing, but it beats pulling weeds & cutting the grass.
    hey thanks for the report

Default Found set of keys at thisel creek bath room 1 automotive & 4 household

WE were fishing at gp yesterday & found a set of keys it appears that they have been there awhile 1 automotive & 4 house hold. If they are yours send a link & identify them & we will get them back to you. We caught 28 kokanee they are 8 12 inches at 48 65 feet. Still using pink & orange.

It seems like a travesty that this can't be a really great fishery for Kokanee. Well at least for bigger fish. Washington has a great fishery at Lake Merwin and we have Odell on the east side. But with the population growth in Kokanee fishing here in Oregon, ODFW might do well expanding the opportunities here. Does it not seem beneficial to do this? Does anyone have any info that they are? I was reading posts on a different forum and it didn't seem that promising. I have left 2 messages with Todd Ashbury at ODFW but haven't heard back.

One step in a positive direction in my opinion is that they will not be stocking Kokanee in Green Peter this year. I think they finally heard our voices about the overpopulation and size of the Koke in GP.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Yes agreed. That is a positive,did you read that somewhere or did you hear that from ODFW? Not being a biologist I wonder if overpopulation is the only contributing factor or there are other dynamics causing the stunted growth.

The no stocking came from a reliable friend who had spoken directly to the biologist for that area.

The two main factors in fish size are population and available food. Kokanee Power of Oregon in cooperation with ODFW has been doing plankton sampling in both Green Peter and Detroit for the past two summers and the plankton count in GP was pretty good, so the food is there but there are too many fish competing for it, thus smaller size. The amount of fish planted in GP is a drop in the bucket when compared to it's existing population, but continued planting does not help the situation and it does not make any fiscal to put your resources (fry) where they are not needed.

I agree with the biologist that the major contributor to the high population in GP is a couple of consecutive years of mild winters and low spring run off. The milder the winter and the lower the spring run off the more eggs survive and your population goes up. When there is a good snow pack and the rivers run high and wild during the spring you have a smaller birth/survival rate.

Nature as in all things is the primary regulator. I would like to see two things. 1. Continue the moratorium on planting until there is a need to plant and 2. introduction of a predator such as lake trout to keep the population in balance. It works well in Odell......
    David

Ok, well I look forward to seeing what the future results hold for Green Peter. I also would like to see stocking held off until there becomes a need.
    I see you just opened a new thread for 2016 so on that note perhaps this 2015 thread has run its course. Cheers.