Thread: 2015 Lake Billy Chinook

Default 2015 Lake Billy Chinook

The weather was too nice to stay home yesterday. So took the boat down to LBC. Marked fish just off the boat ramp and never got out of site. Took a while to figure out what they would go for. Ended up catching most at 50 ft pulling a small silver dodger with a 1/4 oz. chartreuse z-ray about 10" behind with shoe peg corn soaked in anise/shrimp oil. Kept a limit of little guys that were mighty tasty last night.

Mike

Hit the lake again for 3 and 4th times this week. What happened to winter? First of the year in the Metolius arm. Targeting bull trout mostly but also putting out lines for kokes. The kokes are still small but tasty and worth bringing home 4 for dinner for my wife and I. Caught just 1 bull and one Brown in 16 to 18" range both on kokanee rigs, flasher with tiny red hotshot tipped with corn. Kokes caught on variety of colors and both trolling and jigging, but the jigging was done by casting from moving boat as three of us were trolling 4 lines for bulls and 1 line for kokes. Flatlining for kokes about 70 back from boat with 1/2 oz. banana sinker 3 feet in front of flasher 18" in front of lure. Also casting small pink and white gibbs jig as we trolled ended up bringing several to the boat and a lot of lost fish, too. Now have to figure out how to catch bulls consistently. Try again on Friday.

Mike
    Last edited by oldranger; 03-29-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Mis information

Hi Mike, looks like you got a one man thread going on here. I`am determined to get out to this lake this year. We tried today but they had HWY 26 closed all day. Maybe next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Hi Mike, looks like you got a one man thread going on here. I`am determined to get out to this lake this year. We tried today but they had HWY 26 closed all day. Maybe next week.
    Bill

Not many boats out despite fine weather. Looks like it will be a while before it is as nice as it was yesterday.

Did my last trip for a while yesterday. 4 hours bull trout Fishing O fish one dodger lost to the bottom. 3 1/2 hours kokanee fishing 3 kokes landed, 14 lost! I did land the eye of one of the lost kokes. My second eye of the year. My friend had about 11 strikes but landed 8, most on a watermelon dodger and watermelon kokanee killer that I loaned to him! I lost most of my fish casting a nordic jig and jerking it in to the boat as we were trolling.
    Frustrating at first but soon became comical. Oh the fish are noticeably larger than earlier in the year but still just topping out at a little over 10."

Probably not fishing again until the opener at Wickiup due to travel commitments.

Mike