Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kokanee Rod - don't "need" a new one, but...

Default Kokanee Rod - don't "need" a new one, but...

OK, so like the title says, I don't "need" one...but if you were to go out and buy a new Kokanee rod, for say, around $100, give or take, what brand/model/size would you buy?

I am probably like you in that I don't need one but I'm about to pick one up. I bought a Lamiglas FC 76 UL a couple of years ago and have loved it enough to want another one for the other side of the boat.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Bogey....that's a pretty wide open question. I know when find a rod I like I usually get it even if it is kinda the same type I already have. Are you looking for any specific purpose rod?
    - Downrigger rod?
    - Long line rod?
    - Jigging rod?
    - Bigger fish?
    - Smaller fish?
    - Glass? Probably in the price range you stated
    - Graphite?
    You'll get a lot of opinions on this subject....maybe if you have a specific purpose in mind it may help folks make better suggestions. If you're just looking for a $100 +/- rod there's a lot of them out there. I like to touch em and see how they feel before I buy, but other people's opinions are really helpful in narrowing it down. I know I have a lot of rods "I don't need". Or at least that's what my wife says.

last year I bought myself an ugly stick...love it...Bi-mart $59

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    ...Bi-mart
    That just sounds wrong doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    That just sounds wrong doesn't it?
    membership discount store in the northwest for over 50 yrs, but in light of today's terms, does sound odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
    OK, so like the title says, I don't "need" one...but if you were to go out and buy a new Kokanee rod, for say, around $100, give or take, what brand/model/size would you buy?
    id prolly get this one:

https://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-270-...d-cgr762l.aspx
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Thanks guys! I'd be using this rod with my downrigger, fish in this lake are usually in that 13" - 17" range, depending on the year.

I'm with Super D I love that rod! I fish it almost every week. Been catching rainbows 2 pounds to over 5#s; they are a hoot on a great Kokanee rod like the Lamiglas or the Jared Johnson red ones. Can't have too many rods you know, the experiment must continue.

Now you went and done it! Forced me to get online and order one this morning. And who among you can order just a rod without getting a matching reel?

Geez....now ya got us all looking. Oh, yeah....new rod needs a new reel.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    Geez....now ya got us all looking. Oh, yeah....new rod needs a new reel.
    Real arm twister!

Oh my.... what reel did you get?

Daiwa AccuDepth 15 linecounter. Got it at Amazon with the rod. On a negative note, the confirmation e-mail went to my wife's e-mail. I was busted immediately!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Accudept...sin=B003XD0EBQ
    Last edited by SuperD; 01-28-2015 at 10:02 PM.

YIKES!!!!! Hope you told her SHE ruined HER surprise!!

Amazon should change their name to Amazing. I ordered yesterday afternoon and got a "your order has shipped" e-mail before going to bed last night. I'll be fondling my rod by Friday; okay, that sounds almost as bad as Bi-Mart. Hahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Daiwa AccuDepth 15 linecounter. Got it at Amazon with the rod. On a negative note, the confirmation e-mail went to my wife's e-mail. I was busted immediately!!!!
    The new SUV smell must have worn off Dave. You still have a ray hope with the new furniture thats going to be delivered in your Utah home.

Roger, you know full well that women have a funny way of keeping score. The stuff they buy is considered a "family purchase" and the stuff that we buy is just for us.

Kind of like when she buys you a saw for Christmas "it's for you", but if you buy her a vacuum cleaner you're the devil???

I'm anxious to hear if that's the exact rod you were after - I'll be next...

My wife gave up checking me out. Everytime UPS shows up, she doesn't even roll her eyes anymore. I like the looks of that reel you purchased. I will check back at the end of the summer and you can let me know how it worked out on the water.

By the way, with gas prices where they are at, and if they stay there, I am thinking Gorge this year. I will be traveling with my wife only, unless one of my boys comes along.

I saw a 8' Tica kokanee rod in a local store and really liked the way it felt and acted. I have been wanting a longer rod for some time and decided this was the one. The store wanted $89 and only had the rasberry colored rod.

Went on line to Amazon and found the exact same rod, only in a blueish gray color for $31. The rasberry colored rod on amazon was $69. I doubt that rod color makes much difference to kokanee so I went cheap and picked up three for just over what the store wanted for one.

Put the diawa accudepth on each one, now just can't wait to stick them out the side of the boat.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

If the season doesn't start quick, we're all going to be broke!!

Yeh, I'm headed to the Portland Sportsman's Expo next weekend. A virtual smorgasbord of fishing stuff! A guy could OD there....I figured out what to do. Put the cash you are willing to spend in your pocket and leave the credit cards home. Spend wisely Grass Hopper

Go checkout the rods and reels that Velocity Fishing international will have at the Portland show. You will not be disappointed.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

DLM. I purchased 4 tica rods when I started out. For the money they are a nice Rod. I put them away for awhile ,last year pulled two out .There like a noodle Rod started using them good choice for a back up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast