Page 23 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Hi All. My name is Pauli. I've been kind of been lurking the shadows last season and thought it was time to sign up on the board. Last year was my first season Kokanee fishing and have spent most of my time on the water split between Arrowrock and Lucky Peak. Looking forward to the Thaw. About when will you all start venturing out to the lakes? It shouldn't be too much longer till the thaw. Can't wait!!

97 Boston Whaler Rage 15 with 175 Merc Jet
    Last edited by Pauli; 01-23-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Hi Pauli and welcome to the madness!!!! You are fishing my 2 favorite bodies of water, I will start up trolling in late March. I'm sure there are others who will start before then, they are shallow when you first start then drop down and get bigger as the season rolls on.

Cheers and hope to see you on the water!!!

Like Pauli I was a bit of a lurker on this site last season and figured its time to sign up for kokanee fishing forum. I used to do quite a bit of trolling for salmon and musky when I lived near the great lakes back east way back when. Last summer I finally put downriggers on my boat and got some kokanee gear, and then fished Deadwood once and Lucky Peak several times. Was having a grand time on LP until the water got muddy and then had hard time catching fish remainder of season.

Looking forward to the upcoming season.

John

[Welcome to the site, Pauli and Grim. Much more fun this way than lurking.....isn't that how we all started! Mike

Default Thanks for the new thread sawtooth

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Best of luck to those Fishermen at Dworshak Reservoir this year.
    Just finished a fishing report for Washington Lakes, and decided to check out the Kokanee. Was nice to see that sawtooth had started this thread.

Have any of you folks tried Dworshak yet? am sure looking forward to some good kokanee fishing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbarb View Post
    Just finished a fishing report for Washington Lakes, and decided to check out the Kokanee. Was nice to see that sawtooth had started this thread.

Have any of you folks tried Dworshak yet? am sure looking forward to some good kokanee fishing this year.
    Hi Ken and Barb! We are still working the steelhead but when that ends we plan to attack Dworshak with a vengeance! Typically our early season kokanee trips turn out to be "scouting" trips but that won't stop us from going. Besides, there is a certain amount of pride getting skunked with snow blowing in your ears.

John

Ever wonder why winter fishing for kokes is slow? Maybe Darrell and Dads, a well-known guide at Lake Chelan, has it figured. They are mega-deep. Watch this video.....

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#all/14b5870a4e1f3b83

Your link didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Your link didn't work.
    Sorry. Let's try this:

http://sendy.washingtonlakes.com/w/S...jwxZuRcid2ibVw

Hi John, We are doing the same, the steelheading is really good here on the Snake, but with all the warm weather the river will probably be out of shape soon. Do you usually start fishing near the dam on your early trips?

Quote Originally Posted by kenbarb View Post
    Hi John, We are doing the same, the steelheading is really good here on the Snake, but with all the warm weather the river will probably be out of shape soon. Do you usually start fishing near the dam on your early trips?
    Yes, we usually fish near the dam or at Canyon Creek. We don't have much luck in the early season so we plan to experiment more with depths this year. We seldom see anyone else fishing so information is hard to obtain. There is a video on this sight with a guide fishing in January for kokes on Lake Chelan between 100 and 200 feet. I will have to upgrade to electric downriggers or have surgery on my rotator cuff before I will fish those depths!

The lake is filling fast with all this warm weather and rain. Looks like both boat ramps near the dam are in water now. I have not been on the lake this year yet. My boat is still under cover near the barn and its so muddy down there my dually gets stuck. grin .. Looking to getting on the lake.

Thurston

Well, I'm going for it on Saturday. Looks like wind will be low with temps up to 58 degrees. Spring shores #1 has 50' of water on it, and the kokes are calling. Is this a horrible idea, or a fantastic idea?

Quote Originally Posted by ImprovePhotography View Post
    Well, I'm going for it on Saturday. Looks like wind will be low with temps up to 58 degrees. Spring shores #1 has 50' of water on it, and the kokes are calling. Is this a horrible idea, or a fantastic idea?
    I think it's a fantastic idea. If I had my boat here I might be tempted as well. Please let us know how it fished. We're all getting antsy to get out.

EDIT to add: lest you forget it's Valentine's Day....in case you need a kitchen pass to go.
    Last edited by MackayGuy; 02-11-2015 at 12:24 PM.

I too was thinking of going this weekend but seeing that water levels are increasing 5 feet a day and that arrowrock is 94% full I was thinking of bouncing up the road to arrowrock instead. Anybody have thoughts on how the rapid water elevation increases in lucky peak may influence fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM23 View Post
    I too was thinking of going this weekend but seeing that water levels are increasing 5 feet a day and that arrowrock is 94% full I was thinking of bouncing up the road to arrowrock instead. Anybody have thoughts on how the rapid water elevation increases in lucky peak may influence fishing?
    It puts a lot of floating trash in the water so be careful. Some of those waterlogged logs are hard to see, especially if you're moving pretty fast. Early in the year I have had more squaw fish hitting than when the water clears.

I have never fished kokanee at Arrowrock, and I am looking for some help/advice. Is anyone fishing there yet (February 11)? If not, when is the best time to consider going after them? Any feedback on condition of the road?

Thanks

The report I got from someone who has been going is that the arrowrock fishing is hot right now. He was trolling 4.5" rapalas kinda fast at 2-3 mph. He said the fish are scattered between 5 and 25 feet.

I heard the road isn't great but is passable.

I'm heading up tomorrow to try it out.

we went up there last sat. and they were being real touchy. Took a bit to find them, but when we did, it was decent. Landed 5 and lost a few. Got a few trout as well. Fished for mabe 3 hours. Green hoochie with green darter. Shoe peg corn. Fish finder was showing them all over the place from 5 feet to 40 feet. We started hitting them at 32 feet. Gonna go spend the weekend if I can get off work at a decent time tom.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM23 View Post
    went up last weekend and did alright. Took a bit to find the bite, but when we did it was on. Fish finder was showing them all over the place, but ended up getting most bites at 32 feet. Landed 5 and lost just as many. Got a few good sized trout as well. No squaws. Fished for 3 hours. Some floating trash and a few patches of ice, so look out. Going back this weekend.

anyone been up yet to see if the ice has started to melt? Im antsy to get up and hammer them. Been slow at arrowrock

Thanks for the feedback you two. We went up this morning, and once we got it figured out we did ok. Ended up with 7 kokanee and 7 rainbows in about a two hour window. We got a late start and had to leave early for other things. Weather was great. Road was rough but dry. Trolled chartruse hoochies with shoepeg on a couple poles and a weeding ring with worm on another. The corn combo worked best. Caught most of them down about 30'.

nice slicer. we are headed up in the morning, so should be about the same. Were you guys by the dam, or up in the south fork?

I am headed up tomorrow - black G3 12' boat...hope the bite is on prior to a weather change for Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Weekendwarrior View Post
    I am headed up tomorrow - black G3 12' boat...hope the bite is on prior to a weather change for Sunday!
    might see ya up there. Im in an older 16' red tracker bass boat. Blue chevy with shell

Page 23 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast