Page 24 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    nice slicer. we are headed up in the morning, so should be about the same. Were you guys by the dam, or up in the south fork?
    We caught most of the fish up towards the south fork, and did not fish down toward the dam at all.

Went yesterday. Did not catch a single fish on hoochie a, which is a first for me. Caught 7 on 4" green and orange rapalas flat line without any weight 200' behind the boat. All rainbows and one bull trout.

Fishing right by the dam was poor but caught a few up in the shallows across from the dam.

Best fishing was just just 100 yards up the left fork of the confluence.

I think the kokanee must be a lot deeper than the trout. We kept seeing fish hovering right at 40' but couldn't target them without a downrigger. Tried jigging at them without success even though we were right on them.

Best time of day was 10am once we gave up on hoochies and went for the rapalas. We found the trolling speed to be better kinda fast with the rapalas. 2.4 mph.

After noon we only got one.
    Last edited by ImprovePhotography; 02-14-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprovePhotography View Post
    Went yesterday. Did not catch a single fish on hoochie a, which is a first for me. Caught 7 on 4" green and orange rapalas flat line without any weight 200' behind the boat. All rainbows and one bull trout.

Fishing right by the dam was poor but caught a few up in the shallows across from the dam.

Best fishing was just just 100 yards up the left fork of the confluence.

I think the kokanee must be a lot deeper than the trout. We kept seeing fish hovering right at 40' but couldn't target them without a downrigger. Tried jigging at them without success even though we were right on them.

Best time of day was 10am once we gave up on hoochies and went for the rapalas. We found the trolling speed to be better kinda fast with the rapalas. 2.4 mph.

no downrigger? I seen two cheep clamp un ones with weights on craigslist for $100, but that was a week ago and probably snatched up. Last weekend they were poping at 40 on the finder, but we were hitting them at 32. Getting the boat ready right now, will let ya'll know how we did

Quote Originally Posted by ImprovePhotography View Post

We caught all of our fish after noon, with exception of two trout I caught jigging a Kastmaster. We did not catch an single one on the downrigger pole.........but didn't have the hoochies on that pole either. Trolled at .8 to .9mph with weights ranging from 1-1/2 to 3 ounces. All seemed to work about the same. Most were caught in 50' of water with about 35-40' out on the line counter.

Fishing was really slow for us today. Marked large schools on the fish finder but couldn't get them to bite. Only caught one--my slowest ever day at lucky peak.

Arrowrock yesterday was better.

slow day. Ended up with 3 koks in the boat, 2 lost. Released 2 small rainbows and Kept a good sized one that happened to be tagged. Started with green hoochie, then as the sun was setting, they switched to pink. All around 30-40 feet. At least got my kok withdrawls out of my system. Cant wait for spring. Was a lot of boats on the water, and they seemed to be moving around a lot. Makes me think no one else was doing that great.

arrowrock was not that great today ether. Boated 4, lost 2, and released 2 small trout, but was there from 10-5. 3 boated in the last hour.

I went on Saturday. Got a bit of a late start on the years maiden voyage, but with calm winds and patchy clouds, it beats the heck out of being inside! Started with a green hoochie down about 30, but couldn't buy a strike despite marking some. Switched to a kokabow orange/silver behind a small dodger and dropped it to about 45 ft and almost instantly got a hit, but I was too slow on it and the next two! Speed was about 1.0 to 1.3, hope for better luck next time.

I decided to run some sea foam through the out-board today, and to try and catch a kokanee with a jig. I ran the boat from about a quarter mile above the elk creek ramp down to the dam and found a couple of schools. The were running from about 30-60 feet with a few smaller groups down at about 80 feet. I ran the bout back above the school and let the wind push me through the school. The first couple of passes I made resulted in a couple of lure changes and one small koke. The next few passes I ran the jig at about 30 feet with about 2 seconds between a 1.5 foot jig. Each pass I picked up another koke until I could not find the school. So I ran some more sea-foam through the out-board and found another small school and I picked up 2 more. I fished for a total of about 2 hours and caught 7 lost about 7 and watched another 7 hitting the second pole that was sitting in the rod holder. When the boat isn't moving the fish don't want to stay on the extra pole while you land the first one. There was no ice, road was clear and smooth. The 7 that I caught were 12-14 inches on a pink and white gibbs minnow (3/4oz) at 30 feet, just above the school. Next time I will plan on going for the day and I'll bring some back-up, like a couple of kids. I had three doubles today and only landed two out of those six.

I was up there last weekend around merry's bay. Little slow. fish were 5 to 7"..... at about 25'. looks like it might be a smaller fish yr.

Sure hope you just got into the smaller ones microfish, on several occasions we have hit schools that were mostly small fish. I am pretty sure there's a big number of larger ones, we were catching quite a few in the 7" to 8" range last year that should be this years fish.

We were there yesterday and never hit a fish but we were probably fishing too deep (30 to 60 feet) trying to find bigger fish. We talked to a guy who caught a few at 20 to 25 feet and said they were all in the 6" range. Another fella said he attended a fish and game meeting a few nights ago and the F&G thinks the fish may be bigger this year than last. I hope they are correct.

The lake has a lot of water in it (very clear) and the weather was great.

John

Thanks for the information John, I think the F&G is correct, the holdovers from last year are still there, the small ones that are being caught now are next years fish. What area were you fishing? We are going up next week, will probably hit Canyon Creek first, if nothing there then try near the dam. Our first trip last year was March 12th, we caught 12 fish, they were small, except for one that was 13" (glad Barb keeps a good log), we were fishing Canyon Creek.

Is all the ice off? Do you know if Curlew is open? Thanks.

from what i have herd, all the ice is off. The last time i was up there was late oct. deer hunting and we were launching at curlew. Since all irrigation was off then, and with all the snow melt, I think its safe to assume its launchable. I was gonna head up tom. but it is supposed to snow. I need to work anyways, so whatever. Will be plenty of time for fishing :)

Hi we went up last Saturday , Curlew was still frozen over and the ice was below curlew into the narrows.
    We drove back to the dam and were able to launch although it was sketchy the washed out end of the ramp has a stop that we backed over and were able to float our 14' Starcraft off.
    We ran back to the edge of the ice and trolled back. The reservoir was all clear except the curlew end.
    We landed 14 kokes 12'-14' and 6 trout. We used silver,pink,and copper/pink splash dodgers and sling blades with silver and gold w/r and kokabows also glow crappie tubes.
    Heading up tomorrow despite the chance of rain and snow.
    Good luck!Attachment 7764

If anybody goes up today, please give us a road/ramp/ice report. Oh...maybe a fishing/catching report too please.

bayhorse,
    The attachment wont open for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbarb View Post
    Thanks for the information John, I think the F&G is correct, the holdovers from last year are still there, the small ones that are being caught now are next years fish. What area were you fishing? We are going up next week, will probably hit Canyon Creek first, if nothing there then try near the dam. Our first trip last year was March 12th, we caught 12 fish, they were small, except for one that was 13" (glad Barb keeps a good log), we were fishing Canyon Creek.
    Ken, we fished the dam (most of the day), Indian Creek and Canyon Creek.

We are looking forward to your next week's report. Good luck!

John

Attachment 7765
    Well I did not get to go up today. Hopefully the picture will open.

Attachment 7765
    Well I did not get to go up today. Hopefully the picture will open.

We went down last Monday when it was so nice. Launched at Freeman Ck and drove down by Big Eddie. Started trolling a 1/2 mile below Indian ck. Had one line down at 35 ft and one at 10 ft, both with pink wedding ring patterns. Passed over a school right at the mouth of Indian ck and one hit the 10 ft line. I lost it right at the boat but looked about 10 inches long, nice fish. The breeze was pretty chilly and we had the kids with us so I kept going into the wind rather than circling so the cab would keep them warm. Trolled up into Canyon Ck and never had another bite, tried some other patterns and depths. Saw five or six other boats but no nets out. Probably will give it another go in a few weeks, looks like it's going to cool off again. Water was high and warm, 35 ft down and 45 degrees. Never seen water that warm in February. Smallmouth should be unreal this year if the water levels stay stable so it's going to be tough sticking to kokes this spring.

Couldn't open the attachment.

Just wanted to introduce myself, new to the forum, returning kokanee fisherman. Haven't fished for kokanee since I was a kid with my dad and grandpa. Hoping to get out soon.

wrong thread
    Last edited by terek; 02-24-2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Page 24 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast