Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merwin "2015 "

Default Merwin "2015 "

Our 3 lines were in the water on Sat about 9 am & we trolled for 45 minutes when the pole , that we were flat lining , started bobbing up and down . Bingo , one in the cooler . In the next 4 hrs another 10 fish were landed once we found where they were at . It was not far from the dock . Mike and I kept making an oval shaped circle over the area with our two other lines that were attached to down riggers at 10-15 ' . The Kokanee came in flurries with two doubles and a triple and then nothing for awhile . The flat lined pole caught more than half the fish . Arrow flashers in the gold and silver moon glow wings , along with pink and white hoochies , tipped with tuna soaked corn did the trick for all the fish . The weather was very comfortable for early January with a 2-3 mile an hr wind at times and zero at others . I look forward to going up again , possibility next weekend .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokanee Jan 3 2015.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	7733  
    Last edited by walleye; 01-15-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Nice Work and thanks for the report!!

Thanks a ton!

Default Stellar Start to the Year!

We don't visit KKF as much as we should threw out the year but I see that someone has started a Merwin thread for the year so I thought we would join in. January 1st, other than being a bit cold you couldn't ask for a a better day, we finished with 19. And yesterday we took some new friends out who are just learning the lake and had another really good day, there were some slow times but when the fish wanted to play they REALLY wanted to play! Usually when it was raining the hardest was when they were biting the best, we were trying to keep everything 15' and up.

Name:	20150118_155805.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	7743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150101_131558.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	7742  
    Last edited by Mudinchev; 01-19-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Nice job guys good to see a post for the new year!!

Looks like I need to crawl up the learning curve. Went to Merwin yesterday, trolled 4 hrs, two fish, depths at 15 feet with the fish showing at 17 - 20 feet. weather was mixed bag of showers and sun, water temps of 43 degrees. We were running as slow as my 9.9 kicker would idle, doing the zig zag pattern. flasher and small UV hootchies. If any one can help me figure out what went wrong I would appreciate it. On the other hand, of the boats we saw, did not see any nets going down. One item of note, just about dusk, they started working the surface like nobody's business all over the lake. Not so much jumping, but it looked like the way porpose schools swoop and jump through the water. The lake was like glass, and you could see schools doing this all over the lake. On the other hand, glorious day not being at work.

Cameron is putting this on at Bob's this Thursday, this should be a good one for those that want to learn. We will be hanging around as well.

I had to work yesterday but my son Shawn AKA Wild Child went out with him yesterday and they limited the boat with 50 .

Name:	A1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	7744  
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Quote Originally Posted by carlz View Post
    Looks like I need to crawl up the learning curve. Went to Merwin yesterday, trolled 4 hrs, two fish, depths at 15 feet with the fish showing at 17 - 20 feet. weather was mixed bag of showers and sun, water temps of 43 degrees. We were running as slow as my 9.9 kicker would idle, doing the zig zag pattern. flasher and small UV hootchies. If any one can help me figure out what went wrong I would appreciate it. On the other hand, of the boats we saw, did not see any nets going down. One item of note, just about dusk, they started working the surface like nobody's business all over the lake. Not so much jumping, but it looked like the way porpose schools swoop and jump through the water. The lake was like glass, and you could see schools doing this all over the lake. On the other hand, glorious day not being at work.
    Without more info it's diff. to say, but the fact that you haven't said anything about speed you actually were trolling other then "we were running as slow as my 9.9 would idle" leads me to believe you are not monitoring speed, 1.25 to 1.5 m.p.h. will usually put some fish in boat, but we have all had days when nothing worked. I've only fished Merwin a 1/2 dozen times (we live 4 to 5 hours away) and tough to get there with winds keeping small boats off water a lot of the time. bob r P.S. post below yours is a great place to start

With a high fish limit of quality fish, Merwin catches my attention every time I see a show or read reports like these. I'd love to make a trek there some day.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    With a high fish limit of quality fish, Merwin catches my attention every time I see a show or read reports like these. I'd love to make a trek there some day.
    If you ever decide to make the drive let us know!!

If you decide to come up, let me know, I live 30 min from Merwin, and have plenty of space for parking camper and boat.

Carl

I'm going to put you guys in my phone and take you up on it. This year's trips are pretty much planned but I'm excited to come see what Merwin has to offer.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I'm going to put you guys in my phone and take you up on it. This year's trips are pretty much planned but I'm excited to come see what Merwin has to offer.
    Don't make the drive without including a stop at Wickiup.....I can show you where to get hung up the quickest..
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Default Wow what a BEAUTIFUL DAY!

We had a few hours Sunday morning 25th. We had to pull the plug about 11:30 to make it to Shawn's soccer game on time but with weather like this and the fishing being EXTREMELY good I couldn't resit going! Not that we needed an excuse but my parents were also in town so my Dad got to go with us as well. It was pretty much still a surface bite but we did pick up a few down to 15 feet.

Name:	20150125_083841.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	7750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150125_120634.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	7751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150125_122424.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	7752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0185.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	7749  

It's so interesting that the kokanee on Merwin are at the top of the water column this time of year and the koks on Lake Chelan are down 60-240 feet.
    Angling the Northwest one fish at a time.

It is interesting for sure! Each lake or reservoir seems to have different characteristics. We have not fished Chelan (YET!) but your statement makes me wonder about what the water temps are doing at those depths. In the places we checked Merwin there was less than 1/2 a degree change from the surface to 80' right now. We mark a lot of fish deeper but they seem to be dormant or plain just don't want to play so its not like ALL the fish are up high, just the ones that want to play. Why are they there and what is the difference? It cant be temps (or at least I don't think so anyway). Is it food? They eat/grow year round so maybe it has something to do with where the abundance of available food is.

We did a quick Pre-Superbowl trip yesterday, I was hoping for a little more action than we had but still overall it was a good morning. When we were in them it was all hands on deck but you would loose track of them just as fast as you found them. Its an interesting early fishery right now, it seems to change day to day, just have to keep at it and keep learning.

Name:	2-1-15 4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	7757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-1-15 2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	7756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-1-15 1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	7755  
    Last edited by Mudinchev; 02-02-2015 at 04:18 PM.

How is Merwin now? I heard ramps are closed because the water level is super low
    I'm thinking of taking my kayak on sunday so really can launch anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by westy661 View Post
    How is Merwin now? I heard ramps are closed because the water level is super low
    Merwin is open. Water at 4 ft below full pool.

Quote Originally Posted by westy661 View Post
    Here is a link to the water levels: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_foreca...id=PQR&pil=RVM

Today it shows 9 ft below full which is PLENTY to launch at Speelyai, when it starts getting down to the 225-227 ft range it can get challenging for some boats. For those venturing up this weekend be prepared for a crowd, fishing has been decent. With the Spring Chinook not in yet and the nice weather forecast I have a feeling it will be rather crowded at the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudinchev View Post
    Here is a link to the water levels: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_foreca...id=PQR&pil=RVM

Today it shows 9 ft below full which is PLENTY to launch at Speelyai, when it starts getting down to the 225-227 ft range it can get challenging for some boats. For those venturing up this weekend be prepared for a crowd, fishing has been decent. With the Spring Chinook not in yet and the nice weather forecast I have a feeling it will be rather crowded at the ramp.
    sorry about incorrect info, it was my estimate based on looking at high water marks when on the lake

Went out today with my uncle and boy was it slow for us. On the water about 7:15 and off the water around 1:30

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Went out today with my uncle and boy was it slow for us. On the water about 7:15 and off the water around 1:30
    Yup, slow for me too.... didn't see much of anything .... maybe the bite was off due to filling the pool?

Well you guys have definitley been tearing them up at Merwin. Well Done!!!!! The lakes in this part of the state are REAL slow. At American, as far as I know, the last Kok was caught on 31 Dec. I'm thinking a road trip to Merwin is in order.

2-15, 3 of us got 25 before the wind made it no fun to troll with or against. 2-17, 2 of us got 20 but had a real hard time keeping em hooked. Lost a lot of bottom hooks on our leaders during the fight and bye bye fish. I didn't keep track of the triples but there a lot of em. Only a few times did we get all 3. Talked to one gent on the water and he said he lost 4 and had 1, worst fishing he's ever seen.
    What I'm seeing is a lot of guys trolling too fast or too deep. I think the slower periods for us today were when the wind was pushing us along faster than we wanted to go. We had two downriggers set at 10 feet and two rods flatlined at 100-120 ft back. The downrigger rods were the same distance back, maybe just a hair shorter. 3 arrow flash dodgers and one luhr jensen 4" dodger followed by hoochies of varying colors, pink, pink/silver, orange and pink/purple. All tipped with kokanee special, kokanee killer or anise plus scent. I think I got one on tuna but didn't use it much or I'm sure a few more would have gotten bit on it. I think right now, presentation is the biggest part of it over colors or scents. We were crawling compared to most, slow down if you can and the bite might definitely be in your favor.

3-5 I think someone turned off the Merwin fish faucet!!!! Three of us fished for more than 5 hours on Thursday and didn't even get a lousy bite. And it didn't look like we were alone. There were more than 20 rigs in the parking lot and at least 10 boats in sight all the time and we didn't see a net out all day!!! A real bummer for someone used to catching a limit every time. Seems like maybe the lake was being lowered or raised, because there was a LOT of debris from the launch to the dam. The water also seemed "murky". Tried everything in my "bag of tricks" and nothing worked. LOTS of fish on the finder, but someone must have sewn their mouths shut! Not a good way to start the season, but I know Merwin well enough to know that it was just a BAD DAY! Hope things pick back up soon. On the bright side, I was impressed to see a number of improvements in the launch area, including a new toilet near the launch..........new pavement and what I think will result in a better arrangement for trailer parking versus car parking. Also, saw a small herd (10) of elk about 2 blocks from the ramp, right off the road. They just stood there and looked at us! Great day, even without any Kokanee!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast