Thread: Trout Versus Kokanee Question

Default Trout Versus Kokanee Question

OK so here is the question. We fish Lake Roosevelt in Eastern Washington all winter for triploid trout with great success. We sometimes have a by-catch of kokanee in the 3# class. Certain areas are known to be better kokanee producers. If anyone consistently catches kokes they are very tight lipped about it or they just don't target and get them.

The surface temperatures yesterday were 41 and we got a limit of trout trolling at 15' deep with orange flies. The trout were gorging on zooplankton daphnia; the same food kokes love! Any thoughts on winter depths and tackle for the kokes? I have tried koke gear before and just continued to catch trout. We are allowed a limit of kokes and a limit of trout by the way.

Maybe I just need to pay my dues and fish the kokes till I get it; or not! The trout are the most beautiful red meat, not those grey planters and they are great table fare.

Thanks for your input - Alan

Winter Kokes tend to spread out far and wide. Add to that the fact that plankton is sparse in the Winter so they are also pretty dormant. You will catch a few here and there but targeting them will result in some frustration. Just stick to the trout and the occasional bi-catch.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks Dave - I've always had that "hunch" about them in winter. They will be more consistent in the lower basin in a couple of months. The only negative is that it is 40 miles further to drive each way. Those trout are next to kokes in quality and readily bite in winter. Lots better than putting the boat away for the winter. The full top and heater keep it comfortable on the water and I have four studded tires on the 4WD Ram for traction to get there and launch the boat.

Are you going to the Portland Sportsman's Show this year?

Alan

I have never heard of anyone just knocking the Kokanees dead on Roosevelt even during the summer. But as you have said the rainbows are chocked full of daphnia so one would think they are also around. I keep watching your reports during this time so I have gotten the bug to chase them in the winter. In January I may need a pointer on the magic. I need to go find out about the Trips and also make a Burbot run and fish them.

Rick

Hi Rick,
    Always here to help when you get ready to chase those bowes. You can't go wrong with Kekeda flies in Orange. You fish the Burbot on hard water (ice) or at Roosevelt?

Alan

Alan
    Thanks for the offer. I have a few of David's samples in my hands now and hoping to pick up a few more before I go. I see they fish the arm in Jan and Feb for the Burbot. So I was going to make it a multi fish run depending on what fires off.

Caught some of those burbots last winter; interesting, very interesting - Alan