Thread: This is going to be a LONG winter...

Default This is going to be a LONG winter...

Wow, I am seriously depressed already - it seems like warm weather and fishing is years away At least last year there were a few of us boat shopping/buying that was fun to follow along with and occupy our time while we "waited". I still come here a couple of times a day to see if anything is going on, and I must say, it's forced me to look at the "albums" as there is nothing else going on and I've see some great pics and totally enjoyed it.

As for me, I've taken care of Cabela's guidewear raingear sale, bought a new walleye reel, rigged up a couple of "guest" rod/reels. I also ordered a boat bra and I'm looking into getting the drop down curtain for the back of my top. Organized a few things in the boat, and haven't "totally given up" on getting out one or two more times for walleye or lake trout.

But, no matter what, this is going to be a long winter...

I totally agree, my boat is done for the year and is deep hibernation. im going to get my lure craft out of the corner and start making a few to be ready for the sprin
    I just know stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
    Wow, I am seriously depressed already - it seems like warm weather and fishing is years away At least last year there were a few of us boat shopping/buying that was fun to follow along with and occupy our time while we "waited". I still come here a couple of times a day to see if anything is going on, and I must say, it's forced me to look at the "albums" as there is nothing else going on and I've see some great pics and totally enjoyed it.

As for me, I've taken care of Cabela's guidewear raingear sale, bought a new walleye reel, rigged up a couple of "guest" rod/reels. I also ordered a boat bra and I'm looking into getting the drop down curtain for the back of my top. Organized a few things in the boat, and haven't "totally given up" on getting out one or two more times for walleye or lake trout.

But, no matter what, this is going to be a long winter...
    Your mention of a Walleye reel peeked my interest. I will be getting into Walleye fishing for the first time in the spring and planned on using the same reels (Tica Caimen) I use on my kokanee rods for the Walleye. Am I off base on this? Is there something special you were looking for in a reel?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I love Kokanee fishing (lol, I love all fishing, but REALLY love Kokanee fishing) however, walleye fishing is getting right up there... We (wife and I) are totally "hooked" on it.

OK, I use a flippin switch reel. My wife uses one too, but the real advantage for me is the one handed operation for working bottom bouncers. It makes things very handy and I enjoy anything that make my fishing more enjoyable. I'm not sure if you've seen one, but basically you push the button and it lets line out until you let up on the button - you don't have to crank the handle with your other hand to stop the line release. And since I often have the ipilot remote in my left hand, it's nice to stay on the bottom just using my right hand. LOL, of course it only works going down, not coming up!!

We used to use our Kokanee rod/reels for walleye. As long as we're talking walleye (and boy do we LOVE eating them!), my wife and I have been fishing for them for about 4-5 years now. Never caught one over 19" until this year and we have just had a great season - both caught our personal best on the same day:

I use the Abu Black/Silver Max with flipping switch, 4 of them, gave one to a friend. Love them.

Bogey, Is that Banks Lake in the back ground?

LOL, yes it is!

We are privileged to have lake Roosevelt a little over an hour away. We fish all winter long for the triploid trout they have in there with the occasional BIG kokanee thrown in the mix. Great walleye and small mouth in the warmer times. Full top and heater are a must in my book. We usually fish on New Years day and during the Super Bowl; fishing is more fun! You can see my posts on washingtonlakes.com .

PS Can't seem to post pics on this site any more, don't know what's wrong. Would love to share but no pics, no proof as they say.

Will be building a couple of rods this winter, once chukar hunting season is done. I have a Batson blank I will be building a Kokanee downrigger rod on. As well as a Dan Craft 4 wt. fly rod I will build for my backcountry fly fishing.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 12-01-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Hey sawtooth, which Batson blank are you going to use? I've been looking at doing the same thing.

I have built koke rods on several of their blanks. Their RDR76L is made specifically for downrigger koke fishing and is fine, I have one that I use as a "rookie guest" rod because it is virtually indestructible. It is a graphite/fiberglass composite and is therefore as flexible as a noodle, quite a bit heavier and less sensitive then a high modulus graphite rod. I then started using some of their fly rod blanks. Both 4 and 5 wt., but the they are not made for the abuse and stress put on them by the downrigger and my friend broke my 4wt. trying to yank it out of the release. The 5 wt. is great for fish up to 20" and still a lot of fun on the smaller 10" fish. You will just need to be careful with pulling them off of the downrigger release. Last year I built two koke rods on two different popping blanks. The IP841 and the lighter SP840. The SP840 is hands down my favorite blank for kokes in the 12-20" range. It has more backbone than the RDR downrigger blanks, is almost as light and is just as sensitive as the 4wt. fly rod blank(no fiberglass to absorb that Kokanee head shaking). It is a bit tougher than the 5 wt. fly rod blank, but you will need to be careful taking it out of a tight pinch type release. The koke rod I am making this winter will be on another SP840 blank.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Wow sawtooth sounds like you have done quite a bit of experimenting! I really appreciate your input on what you have done.

Yanking rods off the downrigger is not good, too much stress. I usually run the rigger up and release it. I have also gone to Chamberlain releases that allow the rod release tension to be set separate of the fish release tension. Guess we need to catch bigger fish so the release is not a problem!

I too have switched to the Chamberlain release and think they are great. Those immature kokes at the end of the season are no longer a problem with the Chamberlains.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Like Sawtooth said, I have tried a few different blanks and I really like the Batson Forecast RX6 fly rod 4 weight. Have built a few, taken friends out and then they ended up with the rods, build a few more, and again they are gone to another boat. Long story short I enjoy these blanks. I like the 7' 6" 2 piece. knock on wood.. Have not broken any pulling out of the clips. I Really need to upgrade to the Chamberlain.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

Winter came too soon for me. I finally gave in and put my rig away for the winter. I now have two weights and two Chamberlain releases for my new-to-me 14 foot Gregor. I'm looking forward to learning how to use them effectively.

In the meantime, I'm building a box to carry my Minn Kota in the back of the truck. I don't want to leave it on the boat all the time and I don't want it to be damaged with things stacked on top. My woodworking skills are rudimentary, but what I make is usually functional if not attractive.

I've also rearranged part of my tackle box two times already and am working on the third. Each time I think I'm done I come up with a new and improved idea. I'm also adding to my supply of tube flies.

My ongoing project is to finish listing all my fishing trips in a spread sheet. I hope to be able to spot patterns so I can put time in on waters that are likely to be most productive, depending on the time of year.

All that should keep my busy for a while, but being on the water would be better.

Physion

WOW, good for you!! I don't know if all these kind of projects satisfy us, or just fuel the desire/anticipation or add the frustrations of winter more?

Bogey, Glad to see you got some use out of that new boat. Those are some nice looking Walleye!

Thinking about trying that out next spring as well. I have fished around Banks but only for Bass and only out of a Kayak. I will have to give it a shot.
    ALL FISH PICTURED IN POSTS ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR

Love to hit it on the same weekend one time so I could check out that new yacht of yours!!!

Box built, tackle rearranged for the ??th time, tube flies tied, and fishing trips entered. All I need to do is put new line on my reels and I'm ready to fish! I'm glad to see all the moisture we are getting. If the precip continues the reservoirs and lakes will be full come spring. Looking forward to another good fishing year.

Physion

LOL, I was out in the shop re-arranging my tackle boxes/organizing my tackle craft gear and replaced on snap on the boat cover! I'm going crazy right now...