Commenting

Print
    Create a hardcopy of this page
    Font Size:
    Default font size

Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:00 am

Idaho Department of Fish and Game | 0 comments

As the early morning sun hit the banks of the Deadwood River, the Idaho Department of Fish and Game crew and volunteers are already hard at work spawning kokanee.

"The kokanee often move at night so by morning there are up to 1,500 or more stacked up behind the weir and in the trap boxes," said Bob Becker, Nampa Fish Hatchery Manager.

AllState_instory_1011

Starting in late August, mostly three-year old kokanee migrate from Deadwood Reservoir and into the streams to spawn. Upward of 300,000 adults attempted this journey in 2014.

On the largest stream feeding the reservoir, 24-year spawning veteran Chuck Kiester pulls a ripe female from the bin. He pushes his fingers along the belly to express the orange pearls into a stainless steel bowl.

"It's a fantastic thing," said Kiester. "Every fall, like clockwork, these fish pile into the stream. And we're not the only ones here. It's a feast for osprey, eagles and ravens that have discovered these runs. What an amazing resource."

As Kiester talks, another one of the fish crew squirts white milt from the males onto the eggs, swishes the bowl and hands it off to yet another crew member who carefully washes the now-fertilized eggs.

Kokanee eggs taken from Deadwood are the backbone for Idaho Fish and Game's early-run kokanee stocking program. On an average year the adult run will provide approximately seven million eggs, which allow the stocking of more than five million fingerlings in waters across Idaho.

"This is the most important spawning project for early-run kokanee in the state," said regional fish manager Joe Kozfkay. "And, it's one of the best examples of what fishing licenses dollars pay for, which is to support, create and maintain Idaho fisheries."

After the eggs are washed and cleaned, the fertilized eggs are gently poured into 60- gallon coolers and kept at a relatively constant temperature around 58 degrees to allow the eggs to "harden up."

In the afternoon the coolers are hauled to a backcountry airstrip that sits above Deadwood Reservoir.

Here, four to six coolers are loaded into a waiting Cessna and pilot Mike Dorris flies three hours north to another airstrip in Sandpoint.

The coolers, chock-full of eggs, are taken to the Cabinet Gorge Hatchery to incubate for 50 to 60 days.

After they have eyed up, about three million are trucked eight hours south to Mackay Hatchery to be raised to fingerling size or about 3 inches. The remaining two million are kept at the Cabinet Gorge Hatchery and released in North Idaho waters.

"The eggs survive better in the cooler water at the Cabinet Gorge Hatchery," said hatchery manager John Rankin. "The kokanee fry grow faster in the slightly warmer waters at Mackay Hatchery."

When May and June roll around - eight to nine months after the eggs were taken at the Deadwood River trap - kokanee fry will be trucked and released in 29 different lakes and reservoirs around the state.

"Kokanee fishing is one of the most popular fisheries in Idaho," said Kozfkay. "Creating an outdoor experience for anglers and thousands of dollars for local, usually rural economies."

While seven million eggs are hauled from Deadwood, the kokanee fishery at the reservoir remains robust, even benefiting from the project.

Kokanee were first planted in Deadwood Reservoir in 1945, fifteen years after the dam was built and reservoir filled. They quickly took to the cold water and multiple streams feeding into the reservoir. Today, kokanee at Deadwood are all natural spawners, and so successful, anglers can harvest up to 25 a day.

"Kokanee are so productive at Deadwood, there are just too many," said Kozfkay. "A benefit of the large egg take is it reduces kokanee numbers, which in turn helps increase the average size of the adult, providing a bigger fish for the angler."

But as fish managers know, kokanee can be a tricky fish to manage. The populations respond quickly to changes and can decline as quickly as they can increase.

Every year, Idaho Fish and Game fisheries staff monitor fish populations and make-up of the reservoir.

Kokanee are hauled in, measured, and weighed. The data feeds a population model to help biologists determine the number of kokanee in the reservoir. They also keep track of other types of fish in the system.

"Right now, the goal for the Deadwood kokanee fishery is bigger fish," said Kozfkay.

To achieve this goal, fish managers cautiously work to reduce the number of kokanee in the reservoir to allow for the remaining fish to have more food and grow to 13 inches, the most desired length by anglers.

"Using Deadwood kokanee for our hatchery program works on both sides of the equation," Kozfkay said. "It actually allows us to create a better fishery here at Deadwood Reservoir and provide eggs for statewide needs

To achieve this goal, fish managers cautiously work to reduce the number of kokanee in the reservoir to allow for the remaining fish to have more food and grow to 13 inches, the most desired length by anglers.
    Most desired length or minimum desired length? LOL!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Actually, yes. The poll took into account the diminishing returns with larger kokes. In other words, would you prefer common 25-fish limits of 9-inchers, common 6-fish limits of 13-inchers, or less-common 6-fish limits of 14-20"ers? People most often chose the faster fishing provided by the second option.

I guess my vote in such a poll would be dependent on the close availability of the later option.

kodiak1, where are you getting this information. I have a hard time believing this information came from an actual poll.

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public...fm?newsID=7355
    It looked like a lot of the information was in this Game & Fish News release. I didn't dig real deep into it though.

The information from the article is very good but it does not refer to any poll . From the statement provided by Kodiak1 it sounds like there has been an actual poll taken which would lead to his statement. I would be interested in seeing the entire document which kodiak1 is referring to. I would be interested to see if this information is referring to local fishermen, statewide fishermen or is Utah, Washington, Oregon and other states also included in this "poll". I am fairly new to kokanee fishing and would like to get as much information as possible.

Thanks for posting that. Good read.

I can't remember where I read or heard about it. It seems to me that I heard this from a fishery biologist at a stop at Lucky Peak where they were measuring fish and asking questions. Or, it could be, as Jwood seems to insinuate, that I am just making the whole thing up.

I'm not insinuating anything. This subject is interesting to me, any information I can glean about kokanee fishing is of great interest. I looked in the Idaho Fish and Game sight and called the fisheries office in Nampa and they are not aware of any polls or surveys that include this information. It makes sense that you may have heard it from another individual but if you do remember of anything published please post it, I'm sure other readers would be interested as well.

If you are truly interested, there seems that the article throws around a lot of names. I've found that most Game & Fish departments are very helpful in responding to e-mails or phone calls.

I don't need or want any information regarding the article. The information contained therein is very concise and to the point and as stated in my previous post I have been in contact with the F&G they are not aware of any polls or surveys.. I would however like more information on the facts regarding a poll that Kodiak1 is talking about in his post 10-16-14. If anyone out there has seen or heard of such information please post it.

So, you asked F&G what the source of the information was that led to their statement about 13" fish being the most desirable? They issued the article and would be best prepared to say where their data came from. Just sayin.

In fact, yes I have spoken to Joe Kozfkay at F&G. The 13" figure comes from the Fisheries Management Plan 2013 - 2018 (good read, I suggest any angler who reads will come away with a good understanding of what the F&G fisheries management is trying to accomplish for all species statewide). As mentioned earlier I am not seeking any more information from the article I've read it...I would like more information on Kodiak1's statement "Actually, yes. The poll took into account the diminishing returns with larger kokes. In other words, would you prefer common 25-fish limits of 9-inchers, common 6-fish limits of 13-inchers, or less-common 6-fish limits of 14-20"ers? People most often chose the faster fishing provided by the second option." I do not want to belittle this point but I am interested to know what the general consensus of koke fisherman might be. Mr. Kodiak1 has stated he is not sure where he read it or he may have heard it from a F&G officer, but if there is in fact an article or poll out there with this type of information I would like to read it. OUT.

Is it feasible for one of the moderators to send out a survey to members and tally the results?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    Is it feasible for one of the moderators to send out a survey to members and tally the results?
    I believe it is feasible for any member to start a thread with a poll in it.

Default REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    Actually, yes. The poll took into account the diminishing returns with larger kokes. In other words, would you prefer common 25-fish limits of 9-inchers, common 6-fish limits of 13-inchers, or less-common 6-fish limits of 14-20"ers? People most often chose the faster fishing provided by the second option.
    Everyone I know who are avid koke fishermen like their kokes 16 inches and up. However, it always depends on the lake / reservoir and the amount of feed available. 18 inch and fat fish are really great. 20" and thin not so much. 13 inch and fat / health thick fish are ok. Bottom line, don't plant kokes in lakes and reserviors that do not produce quality fish. Deadwood has been this way for along time, (that is small fish), but provides lots of fish to plant elsewhere, so it serves that purpose quite well.

I agree, but the key word is "avid". If you include the occasional and newbie fishermen, the results would be greatly skewed.

That's why I asked, "minimum length" or "most desirable." Personally, I won't fish for Kokes under 13" and only if the limit is fast and furious for 13"ers.
    Last edited by SuperD; 10-23-2014 at 10:02 PM.

I am always ready to be corrected, but I would venture to say that 90% of kokanee are caught by the serious, love to fish avid kokanee addicts. I could see where beginners would want a large number of easy to catch fish, but feel that at some point, they would like many of us, be hunting for the bigger fish. When I have been out on the water fishing the opportunity to show newbbies how to catch kokes and how to get bigger ones always happens and they are eager to learn. I even hand out free gear to them so they have something for the day. I let them know where to purchase more gear and how to hook up with this forum. But, just like the gents that I learned from, that time comes when we are all asking, where are the big ones. It happens to most fisherman. The poles might be dominated by beginner fishermen, but I doubt that unless the F & G mailed it to their home. I have never been poled myself by F & G.

Tight Lines
    Last edited by gonefishing; 10-24-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Does anyone know why there aren't more planting of triploid kokanee - particularly in lakes where there is little to no chance of natural reproduction? I know it's more expensive to create the triploid fry, but what's the trade off in terms of surviving fish versus those that are going to die in 3 years? My local lake is a 5-600 acre irrigation lake. They plant about 75,000 kokanee every year. What percentage of these fish are caught before they turn and die? If fewer fish were stocked, but lived longer, wouldn't they get bigger and eventually the population would stabilize at the carrying capacity of the lake?

Mr. moderator did you even read the article? The article is specific to Deadwood Reservoir and not Idaho Kokanee in general. I'd take a mess of thirteen inch Kokes from deadwood any day. Quote from the article "Right now, the goal for the Deadwood kokanee fishery is bigger fish," said Kozfkay. As stated in an earlier post the reference to 13" fish comes from the Fisheries Management Plan 2013 - 2018. The Kokanee fishing on deadwood Res is usually very good, the fish are small, always have been, instead focus on trout next time you go to Deadwood. If you can figure out how to catch them I guarantee you will be very happy with the results.

I think we have pretty much exhausted the subject. Apparently, some like catching 13" fish and some of us, not so much.