Thread: Burbot

Default Burbot

I was wondering if anyone has had any good success fishing for the Burbot so far this fall . I am going up in a few weeks and would like to target the menace to this reservoir.

Every time someone mentions burbot, I think of this video. It gets my blood pumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmMfJQjC4Y
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

3 week ago we fished till 9:30 Pm and did not get a bite at Confluence point. That was the first time I have fished for them.
    If I fish for burbot again I will go with some one that knows what they are doing.

There is a Burbot Bash annually about Feb time frame. I haven't seen any advertisement for the coming event yet. I don't think anyone will hold any secrets back on how to catch them since its unlimited catch & kill.

This winter's Burbot Bash is scheduled for January 23-25, 2015. There will also be the Buckboard Burbot Classic in February. Usually the burbot fishing picks up when reservoir temps drop in the 50s and their activity increases. On the lower end, the reservoir is currently hovering in the low 60s, so if they're not biting, it won't be long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    This winter's Burbot Bash is scheduled for January 23-25, 2015. There will also be the Buckboard Burbot Classic in February. Usually the burbot fishing picks up when reservoir temps drop in the 50s and their activity increases. On the lower end, the reservoir is currently hovering in the low 60s, so if they're not biting, it won't be long.
    so they are not doing it Nov-Jan. this year?

I don't have any worthwhile input on this, other than to show my 5-year old grandson's Burbot that he caught with me in August!

Awesome picture Bogey! That smile would light up a room. Did you weigh that pig?

NO, I did not weight it or measure it and I'm pretty darn sure I'm going to fisherman's hell for NOT doing it!!!! It was just him and I fishing that morning and it was truly one of the greatest fishing experiences of my life and I should have weighed it for him!!! He caught his limit of Kok's that morning, got his own rod out of the DR, broke it loose from the ball if needed - (and a FEW extra jerks just in case sometimes), and landed his fish - also netted every one of my fish!

It was funny on the Burbot, he told me "something is wrong, it won't come in" and I couldn't see how he could have been snagged, so I asked him to give me the rod, felt the head shake and handed it back to him and told him "you've got a BIG fish on there, have fun and take your time bringing it in".

Well, I guess no one can prove that you are a liar than. LOL! Be sure to round UP next time you tell the story. LOL!

I was up fishing the northern end of the lake this past weekend and water temps were 57-60. We lucked into 3 average Burbot (enough for fish tacos).

would like try the Burbot myself sometime..fished the Gorge a few times for the Mac,s & hoping to learn more about kokanee..FG kokanee Dave I live down the road from you in Tooele...

I am amazed how many people Utilize Flaming Gorge. I really enjoy my time there. Fishing is Great and catching is even better. coues52 I may be able to help you with your Kokanee and Burbot catch rate.

that would be great ! I am retired from the depot..most of the koks that I have caught were while trolling flatfish in the buckboard area, but very few..i have heard that the Burbot are really good eating and a good excuse to try to fill the boat,lol..
    Last edited by coues52; 10-29-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Ryno Could you tell me what the dates are for the buckboard classic

I am going Burbot fishing this weekend. Where are the Burbot? Has anyone been fishing for them lately?

Quote Originally Posted by fairweatherman View Post
    Ryno Could you tell me what the dates are for the buckboard classic
    February 6-8th

so how was the fishing ? inquiring minds need to know ,lol..

are The boat docks left in the water? inquiring minds need to know

Docks are out of the water. Loading docks were still in place.

Fishing was really good. Friday night I caught 16 Burbot south of buckboard and surface water temps were 47 degrees. It snowed Saturday morning so I just fished from shore the rest of the weekend. The largest Burbot was 28" the rest were 18"-20".