LIGHTS OUT!!

Took my brother in law Dan out to Loon for some kokanee action last night. We saw the most amazing red sun (from the smoke) on the way up. Rats left my camera home! Got on the lake around 8 and motored to the spot. The water is down from last week looking at the shoreline in the launch area. (looked before I leaped) The nearly full moon (98%, Waxing Gibbons) was already up as we arrived. Sunset is at 8:15 PM now.

Got all set up in the usual spot at 33' and had poles in by 8:30 or so. Dan caught the first one almost as soon as he put his bait in. Glow Swedish Pimples and Mack's glow hooks with maggots and pink shoepeg corn, 1 crank off the bottom worked the whole time last night.

I got my pole in shortly and proceed to get my first one right away. From there on it was truly LIGHTS OUT fishing!!!! Most of the time we had doubles on or one of us was re-baiting while the other landed a fish. They were really aggressive and snitched lots of corn. Hint: if you get bit and they don't come back in less than a minute you are now a baitless angler. No bait, no fish!!

The fish were in the 11 to 12" range and are putting on weight. They were really feisty last night, maybe from the cooler weather? Some sky-bolted for the top and jumped like crazy.......what a hoot! They would come up so fast you thought they were gone. Another tip from Fish Dawg: I have always used frozen gallon jugs of ice in the cooler. The lid spends a lot of time open when the fishing is hot. Put four or 5" of crushed ice in the bottom with a gallon of water(out of the lake once you get the first fish). The ice water really quick chills the fish and makes them much firmer when filleting. Thanks Fish Dog.

Limited out (20) by 9:37; don't know when I have ever done that! We sat and had smoked kokanee and salmon from the Columbia along with other snacks and water......yum life is good. Always remember to be thankful for the great country we are privileged to live in. Great fishing is a bonus.

Turned all of the fishing lights out by shortly after 10PM and had the leisurely boat ride back to the launch. What an AWESOME night.

Tight lines - Alan