Thread: New guy from north Idaho

Default New guy from north Idaho

Hey everyone, I just turned 27 last month and bought myself a birthday present, my first serious open water boat. I've been confined to shore fishing all my life, but no more! The daily kokanee limit on Lake Pend Oreille has just been increased to 15, and I'm ready to hit the lake. Buying the boat pretty much wiped out my toy budget for the year, so I can't afford trolling gear, although the boat is already outfitted with a fish finder and those modular Cabela's rod holders. I do have a substantial collection of spinning rods and crawdad traps. I'll try jigging or drift fishing for now. I'm hoping to hook some of LPO's famous Gerrard rainbows and macks too. Any info on big lake fishing would be appreciated, thanks!

Getting your first boat is really exciting. You have some great places to fish in your part of the country. Welcome to the boards.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Welcome to the Kokanee Fishing Forums last Viking. Any questions you have fire away, there is plenty of help and information here. BTW , I was at Lake CDA last June. What a beautiful lake, I didn't bring my boat and I didn't know anyone around there to fish with . Hope that you will share some info on Lake CDA and Lake Pend Oreille.

TheLastViking I've seen a lot of pics from Lake Pend Oreille & Coeur d'Alene area. Beautiful area and have thoughts of just spending a couple of days to explore around.

PDO can get some serious waves out there so keep an eye on the weather. You could try dropshotting in the bays for macks until you can get downriggers. Try running a metal dodger and a little weight for koke trolling.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. While I'd love to have downriggers, I can't bring myself to drill holes in my pristine '72 Reinell hardtop. I'll just stick to using lots of weight while trolling. That's what my grandpa has been doing for years. I believe I'll have to try dropshotting, maybe next to the Monarchs? I also want to explore Lake CDA and Priest Lake. I've heard of good fishing in the CDA chain lakes. Are those accessible to a prop boat?

Welcome ThelastViking! I live in Spokane not far from you. I have not fished N Idaho much but did buy a non-resident license this year. Caught some kokes in Priest recently trolling 20'deep with Shasta UV sling blades and RK orange hoochie spinners tipped with pink cured shoepeg corn. You can also see my posts on the Washington lakes site, same handle. Alan

PS I catch lots of fish on leaded line at three colors deep. In fact more than with the downriggers. Downriggers are necessary when the fish are deep. I use them when fishing below 20'.

Factor nicely taken!.

Also visit my web blog ... UK Models

Mitzinutt - Looks like you're trolling for sure; as in you don't belong here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome aboard that not a lake its like an ocean. Lately I pulled up some you tube fishing video's numerous species to choose from.

Nice stable boat for any of the big lakes in NI and keeps you out of the weather. Gotta love the hardtops!!! Been using 4-5 oz banana sinkers with jack loyds and wedding rings for 30 years. Lots of days outfish the downriggers.
    Last edited by Steve86; 05-01-2015 at 11:25 PM.