Thread: Lake Whatcom Report

Default Lake Whatcom Report

Fished Lake Whatcom last Saturday. This is the first time this year because I usually prefer Lake Samish. Up till this year the Kokes have been bigger in Samish and fewer recreational boaters to deal with. Well, Saturday I started about 6am with expectations of small fish and actually did pretty good. There was only one other boat trailer in the lot. We had to stop using bait and C/R fish because otherwise we would have had our limits in very short order. The fish ranged up to about 14 inches. We also caught several cut throat trout (that have to be released). The cuts were in the 16-18 inch range. Between the two of us we were barely able to put our poles out and drink our coffee without constant action. Lot's of doubles.

Another cool thing... There was a massive bald eagle that was watching us fish from a ways away. If we would start reeling in a fish he would come over to see if he could help out. You sure wouldn't want to take your time getting a fish in or he would grab it. He did manage to grab one of the fish we released. If a fish stalls on the surface for a couple seconds the eagle would be on them. If you don't think eagles are huge, wait until they are grabbing a fish 15 feet from your boat. I think this one is well trained.

I am sure I will fish Whatcom again this year. It was a blast.

That's a great day. Never get tired of seeing bald eagles. Thanks for sharing.

I have neglected Lake Whatcom this year for similar reasons. Small fish and size of lake. I can get rough fast. As my closest ramp is on the SE end, there is a dirt ramp (no dock) and rocks to the driver side ( under water most times). Also an issue, not much parking.
    Plus - no freeway noise.

Fishing was good at the Donovan park end right past the wake sign. Easy pickens.
    Last edited by Mharri333; 06-18-2014 at 04:09 PM.