Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kokanee 101 ver. 20.14... ;-)

Where can you get that tool? That is really slick!
    "The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by cowlitzsteelie1977 View Post
    Where can you get that tool? That is really slick!
    After reading this thread I found the tool on the Hevi Beads web site. I ordered a couple of things including the tool. Can't wait to try it.

Yes. It came from heavy beads. Very easy to use.
    ALL FISH PICTURED IN POSTS ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR

Great article, really appreciate the effort man! One question, why the loop knot and not tie to a swivel? Better action or just saving on hardware? I have never had a lot of trust in loop knots, though I guess with 15lb flouro and kokes it doesn't likely make a difference.

Also, 13.5" leader length...you run this for hootchies and spinners? what about spoons or apex's? Traditionally I have went with 25" or so for lures with their own action? Just looking to refine my methods...haven't boated a quarter as many kokes as the majority here, though did fill the smoker last weekend and it didn't last 3 days.

Just a general question, when using longer set backs (100') is it safe to assume that you lure will be at relatively the same depth as the clip? i.e. marking fish at 55, set rigger and clip at 55?

Quote Originally Posted by Mharri333 View Post
    Yes. It came from heavy beads. Very easy to use.
    Now that this thread surfaced again.....reminded me to ask....I ordered the tool and some other stuff from Hevi-Beads well over a month ago. Nothing. After a month I called to inquire about the order and when it would be delivered. No call back, and still nothing. Did it take a long time to get your order delivered? I realize they're a small business and I'm glad to support them. A call back on the status would be nice.

Great information kokanee fisherman are so egger to share there knowledge, all I can add that remember each lake fishes different. I read the article posted makes for great amount of information, and we can always learn. I have had good results with copper and bronze this years added flash for your arsenal / on a blade or wobbler on dark days. A few of us know I tie my own tube lure with great success. I have added Dakota blades and seem to have far better result not sure why? possible the vibration, Super D nicely done on your tube's in Pink. I finished up on the kokanee around the 4th of July. I will be gearing up for the fall fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by the force View Post
    Great article, really appreciate the effort man! One question, why the loop knot and not tie to a swivel? Better action or just saving on hardware? I have never had a lot of trust in loop knots, though I guess with 15lb flouro and kokes it doesn't likely make a difference.

Also, 13.5" leader length...you run this for hootchies and spinners? what about spoons or apex's? Traditionally I have went with 25" or so for lures with their own action? Just looking to refine my methods...haven't boated a quarter as many kokes as the majority here, though did fill the smoker last weekend and it didn't last 3 days.
    As far as loops go, I'm not really %100 sure why I do loops. I guess I started tying my lures with loops and just never really saw the need for a swivel in there. The leader rolls that I use have a little "nub" on them that the loop easily attaches to and swivels are hard to get onto that "nub". I did have a couple of loops that came a little loose, so I started tying a double surgeon loop and have not had a problem with it since.
    For leader length, yes, I tie ALL my lures to 13.5", whether it be spinners, hootchies, rasticles, etc. As for spoons and Apex's, your guess would be as good as mine because I don't use any. For some reason I just don't like them. Part of it might be the lack of the ability to customize (hard to customize a spoon or apex) and I guess the main reason is that I have always done well with just spinners and hootchies. Spoons and Apex's just don't seem to be as popular a method in my local area.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    Now that this thread surfaced again.....reminded me to ask....I ordered the tool and some other stuff from Hevi-Beads well over a month ago. Nothing. After a month I called to inquire about the order and when it would be delivered. No call back, and still nothing. Did it take a long time to get your order delivered? I realize they're a small business and I'm glad to support them. A call back on the status would be nice.
    The Hevi-Beads tool seems nice, but I'm curious as to why people don't just use a bobbin threading tool. It is basically the same thing and can be found at most tackle/fly shops for less than $5 (most around $3). I bought a cheap fly tying kit that came with a vise, bobbin, threader and all kinds of stuff, for $25. The vise makes it easy to tie on flash if you want, comes with the bobbin threader for alternative flash additions, and just makes it easier overall IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Great information kokanee fisherman are so egger to share there knowledge, all I can add that remember each lake fishes different. I read the article posted makes for great amount of information, and we can always learn. I have had good results with copper and bronze this years added flash for your arsenal / on a blade or wobbler on dark days. A few of us know I tie my own tube lure with great success. I have added Dakota blades and seem to have far better result not sure why? possible the vibration, Super D nicely done on your tube's in Pink. I finished up on the kokanee around the 4th of July. I will be gearing up for the fall fishery.
    Yes, absolutely nothing wrong with copper and bronze. I used copper and bronze for years and always had decent success. The addition of real gold and silver blades seemed to be a game changer though because we did much better with that extra reflectivity (copper/bronze reflectivity is less than 20%, real gold/silver around 90%). Sometimes its that little extra pop that can determine whether or not you get bit. I've found that during low light conditions and/or cloudy water, the real gold and silver materials really shine (both literally and metaphorically).
    I too like the dakota blades. I have actually found an outfit that sells real gold and silver plated dakota's and have been pleasantly surprised. The action on the dakota's is nice and sporadic, which seems to give it the upper hand at times.

Quote Originally Posted by the force View Post
    Just a general question, when using longer set backs (100') is it safe to assume that you lure will be at relatively the same depth as the clip? i.e. marking fish at 55, set rigger and clip at 55?
    It is my firm belief that the lure/dodger combo will sink just a bit. Think about what it looks like if you are flat lining. If you go out 100' or so, the dodger/lure will sink a bit (hard to say exactly how much depending on the dodger, speed etc). I can't imagine that it sinks that much, but I would guess less than 5'-10' (probably less than 5'). If I am marking fish at depth X, I always want to come in just above them, so I will drop to X-5'. To use your example, if I mark a fish at 55', then I would probably drop my ball to 50'ish (maybe 52' or 53'). In my opinion, it is better to come just above them than just below.

Mackay,

Sorry for the slow response. I got the tool at the WAlakes.com get together at lake Chelan. The heavy beads guy seemed pretty genuine and interested but I have not dealt with him. I just got a sample pack with the tool in it. I agree with the past post. You should be able to get a similar tool at a fly shop.
    ALL FISH PICTURED IN POSTS ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR

which is better fishing gorge or where

Quote Originally Posted by Mharri333 View Post
    Mackay,

Sorry for the slow response. I got the tool at the WAlakes.com get together at lake Chelan. The heavy beads guy seemed pretty genuine and interested but I have not dealt with him. I just got a sample pack with the tool in it. I agree with the past post. You should be able to get a similar tool at a fly shop.
    Thanks. I've been out of town for a while.....I'll check the mail when I get home tomorrow. If it's not there, I'll give another call.

thanks GFA!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12