Thread: Lake Cavenaugh

Default Lake Cavenaugh

Fished Lake Cavenaugh yesterday morning. I fished from 6:00 A.M. to 10:00 A.M. got a few hits before hooking up. Cutthroats. After 8:00 I saw a new pattern starting. The fish were jumping clear of the water and skittering across the top. When I got hooked up with these fish, they were Koks. All 10 inch cookie cutter fish. water temp was 52.5*, Light and variable winds. Sunny with few clouds.
    Koks were biting on the surface. I used a pink splatter dodger and a red wedding ring. and a Pink splatter dodger and a pink squid. For the Koks, I added a pink power maggot. and Kok DNA. Limited in 2 hours for the Koks. I let 1 Kok go, it was only 7" and fowl hooked in the dorsal fin. Going to Samish tomorrow< weather permitting.

Chris nice going, was it your first time out this year?

lowe1648mt, I think I saw you at Samish this morning. It didn't dawn on me who you were until I saw you getting in your boat and heading out. Fishing was good. Easy limit. Kinda small this year though.

TrollNFisher, I have been out about 4 times this year. American lake about the 1st of April. Only two koks. Silver Lake ( Whatcom County) 10 Rainbows for opening day. Then on to cavenaug. And last at Samish.

I fished Lake Cavenaugh today. 2 hours to reach the lake and 2 hour to get home. In be tween, I spent an hour finding the fish. Actually only 1/2 hour. Then I whistled at them and 5 Kok's jumped in my boat.
    Don't believe that one? OK, I put up my down Riggers and pulled gear on the surface. 1/2 hour of that and I had my limit and only lost1 fish. I did not use my net at all. The fish I lost was the biggest one. and lost it at 90 feet behind the boat. The Kok's were 9" to 10 1/2". Lucky I was quick. it started to rain as soon as I had the boat on the trailer.

For Kokanee Toni, Last 3 days fishing, I have been using a Wanafish Lure. A Bloody Mary behind a Sling Blade.
    Last edited by lowe1648mt; 05-25-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Toni will like to hear that..
    All vintage 12' Mirrocraft, 9.9 Mercury sitting on a Dilly trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by lowe1648mt View Post
    I fished Lake Cavenaugh today. 2 hours to reach the lake and 2 hour to get home. In be tween, I spent an hour finding the fish. Actually only 1/2 hour.
    A month ago I was on the lake and came up with a fat zero. I was probably trolling too fast then. If you don't mind me asking, what speed was working for you?
    All vintage 12' Mirrocraft, 9.9 Mercury sitting on a Dilly trailer.

My speed was 1.1 to 1.3. Made infrequent turns ( 90* ). This changes the speed on both poles.

5-30-14 Back to cavenaugh yesterday. A little slow. It did not start out that way. I caught my first fish 100 ft. from the ramp. 1/2 way to the islands I caught my second. @00 feet from the Islands I caught my third. This was not a straight run. I crossed the lake several times to get there.
    I turned around and headed back to the ramp. 1/2 way back to the ramp, I hooked into the last two fish. Some came from the surface, some 20 feet down.
    hardware? I used a pink splatter dodger and a Bloody marry wedding ring, and a sling blade with a red and pink wedding ring. scent- Kokanee DNA. Bait- pink Power Bait Maggots. Time 8:00 AM to 10 AM. Water temp at surface 58*. Winds 3 mph to 0 mph. Sunny