Thread: Opening Day @ Wickiup

Default Opening Day @ Wickiup

Opening Day @ Wickiup - 3 generations of K's (Dave, Miles, Bob) take to the water at O'Dark-Thirty with the temp below 30!!! Fantastic opening day!!! A new boat record for opening morning - 58 Kokanee boated before the winds came up in the late morning and we decided to call it a day!!! Not certain of the exact temp in the morning but I made a mistake and wore felt bottomed wading boots. They literally had a coating of ice on the bottoms; the deck became my own little skating rink!!!!

Oh, and I forgot to say - "I don't know how to skate!!!"

Also, appreciate any advice on a good non-slip cold weather boat shoe/boot!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	7136  

Just returned from Wickiup and this res lived up to it reputation the best lake for large kok I see a lot of post but folks no saying a lot whats working and whats not starting to remind me of IFish just the amountS nothing of HOW/WHAT/ WHERE. Weather was extremely challenging ( cold water lines froze on the motor home). white caps/ heavy wind and snowing the best day was yesterday Monday the fishing is extremely good.The first area I fish was just 15 ft of water landed 19 fish and they were 15 to 18 plus inches best quality fish I found. One was over 2 lbs. We had 50 degree water perfect water temp that why I fished the 15 ft water. The go to color for us was gold and orange stayed with that combination for the complete time we were up there. The hot spot was the Dam lot of fish but a little smaller but extremely quality fish. I hooked one fish that took drag and it pulled off just as the net was sliding under the dude. Foe you guy heading up good luck just give me a PM if I can add something

Mike......here you go...the fish were hitting everything we threw at them. Chrome/blue (Paulina Peak Tackle) PPT Dodgers and pink and orange hootchies from PPT both on surface and on downriggers, pink tube fly (similar to those pictured on another thread in the tackle craft...thanks for the pics, did our best at adapting) Also had one spinner out all day. pink/green and then some of the mysis bugs that Kokanee kid has behind sling blade on down riggers. Never changed, didnt have to. We fished with the fleet in the main body near the confluence of both arms. Tipped hooks with white corn, different scents(tuna, garlic) No one thing did better than any other, all rigs were into fish consistently all morning. Will be more interesting what works when the bite shuts down, which it always does.

My top three producers Saturday.