Thread: New boat finally done and did I catch a kokanee or trout?

Default New boat finally done and did I catch a kokanee or trout?

After many months and countless $$, I think my boat is finally done and ready for kokanee fishing. The boat is a 14.5 Alumacraft Fisherman. 25HP Yammy with tilt and electric start. Two 31 group AGM batteries up front to power the V2 with I-pilot. (LOVE I-pilot). I have found I can troll up to 1.3 MPH for four hours on each battery. On-board 15a battery charger that conditions and charges the batteries overnight. Also have a battery switcher with the batteries. 27group AGM battery to start the boat and to recharge the battery. The engine will also charge the up front batteries and there are two thermal breakers between. 1101 Scotties. Raymarine Dragonfly with downscan. A modest boat, but it does the job and fits in my garage. I live in a neighborhood with "0" lot lines, so no place to store a larger boat. I may add a "Happy Troller" (small) for those times when I am an at location where the batteries can't be charged. Someone told me, that the "Happy Troller" might work too well on a 25 Yammy, so may re-think that decision.

Since Detroit Reservoir is only an hour from my house, have been running the engine there for break in. The other half of the trip involves trolling/long lining with the electric. Yesterday I was long lining with a (Moon Glow Wings) Arrow Flash Dodger along with an R&K Pink/White hoochie with a scent pocket and two hooks. Scented the pocket and corn with garlic. I was getting bit about every 15 minutes. Interestingly enough, the trout also went nuts for this set up. Lost two kokanee at the boat. I am new to kokanee fishing. Posting a picture of a fairly good fish I caught. I am thinking it is a rainbow, but could it be a kokanee?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alumacraft Fisherman, 04182014.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	7116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detroit kokanee, 04182014.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	7115  

congratulations it's a kokanee and looks like a nice sized one. I see you have the ego net. how do like it. glad you are getting into some fish. dfly
    Last edited by dragonfly; 04-19-2014 at 03:21 PM.

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Congrats on a great set up - man, you've got it loaded with goodies!! I've just been waiting to get enough points on my Cabela's VISA to buy that same net!

Dragonfly, when you showed me the Ego net, knew I had to have one. Takes up so little room in my small boat yet extends to an amazing length with a push of a button. Best of all, it floats. A great invention. I thought the fish might be a kokanee, but the rainbow spots on the upper torso threw me. Can't wait to get back to the lake. The surface temperature was 51 degrees, so I am hoping the fishing will get better in the next couple of weeks.

Correction on my boat post. The 27 group battery starts the engine and runs the fish finder, bilge pump and running light. Front 31 group batteries run the electric and the downriggers.

the tail of that fish tells you it's a salmon. but I'm confused by the spots. it looks like a different strain of kokanee than we have in Utah. what do you think?
    Last edited by mtncat1; 04-20-2014 at 01:50 PM.

The EGO net is a must have. They also stand behind their products. I had one that was not extending smoothly. Sent them an email asking if there were any known fixes. They sent me a new handle. No questions no hassle. I love that kind of service.

Quote Originally Posted by bdogdt47 View Post
    After many months and countless $$, I think my boat is finally done and ready for kokanee fishing. The boat is a 14.5 Alumacraft Fisherman. 25HP Yammy with tilt and electric start. Two 31 group AGM batteries up front to power the V2 with I-pilot. (LOVE I-pilot). I have found I can troll up to 1.3 MPH for four hours on each battery. On-board 15a battery charger that conditions and charges the batteries overnight. Also have a battery switcher with the batteries. 27group AGM battery to start the boat and to recharge the battery. The engine will also charge the up front batteries and there are two thermal breakers between. 1101 Scotties. Raymarine Dragonfly with downscan. A modest boat, but it does the job and fits in my garage. I live in a neighborhood with "0" lot lines, so no place to store a larger boat. I may add a "Happy Troller" (small) for those times when I am an at location where the batteries can't be charged. Someone told me, that the "Happy Troller" might work too well on a 25 Yammy, so may re-think that decision.

Since Detroit Reservoir is only an hour from my house, have been running the engine there for break in. The other half of the trip involves trolling/long lining with the electric. Yesterday I was long lining with a (Moon Glow Wings) Arrow Flash Dodger along with an R&K Pink/White hoochie with a scent pocket and two hooks. Scented the pocket and corn with garlic. I was getting bit about every 15 minutes. Interestingly enough, the trout also went nuts for this set up. Lost two kokanee at the boat. I am new to kokanee fishing. Posting a picture of a fairly good fish I caught. I am thinking it is a rainbow, but could it be a kokanee?
    I think you caught a Chinook,(king salmon) that's a nice surprise I've read that they are in that body of water.
    Last edited by mtncat1; 04-22-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Its a land locked Chinook great great eating/good luck on your new boat

mtncat1 I think you might be right, looking at the pic on my bigger screen at work I can see the spots and the tail is forked a little deeper than a kokanee. I thought they stopped planting those in there because they were not fin clipped and were making there way down river with the native fish, but I must be mistaken. dfly

I can give you a little history if you like, the dept F&W STOCKED 250,000 smolt for like 2 or 3 yrs in Green Peter and Detroit Lake years back myself and friends have personnel harvest and targeting these fish some close to the 10# range they are actually Springers That fish in the photo/ black mouth/ the spots/ the forked tail, that a good thing, because we haven't harvested any in years they just didn't take or reproduce. They eat kokanee.Every fish planted was fin clipped smolt. I personnel had some conversations with the Biologist about there planting hope this helps.I have a 10# mounted on my wall with a fin.

thanx mike I heard of guys catching some good sized ones at greenpeter last year but no one at Detroit. dfly

I'm so used to being land locked and seeing only kokanee ,I forgot they have lakes that are with in reach of the sea in Oregon, the deeply forked tail was throwing me but the spots and the black mouth solved it. a great catch for sure

LOVE MY EGO NET......NICELY set up boat my fishing brother.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback, guys. Exciting to hear I caught a rare landlocked Chinook in Detroit. The Kokanee Kid deserves the thanks for pointing me towards a good area to fish on the lake. I am heading up to Detroit again on Tuesday. Should finish
    the break in for my motor and spend a good share of my time trolling with the electric. Thanks for the compliment on the boat!

whats an ego net

here's a pic of mine

here's there web site
    http://www.egos2slider.com/ dfly

that's a nice net . I been using a frabil fold and stow net and like it pretty good .

That EGO is a great net. I also love a company that backs their product. They took care of me. I would buy from them again. If only lures had a guarantee. Ha!

good to know I will have to conceder them on my next purchase

We catch those in Sound all the time. We call them Blackmouth (juvenile Chinook that stays in the Sound). Being that's a lake, I have no idea what they call land locked chinook, kings. Do they have a cool name like land locked sockeyes/blue backs are called Kokanee?
    "The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by cowlitzsteelie1977 View Post
    We catch those in Sound all the time. We call them Blackmouth (juvenile Chinook that stays in the Sound). Being that's a lake, I have no idea what they call land locked chinook, kings. Do they have a cool name like land locked sockeyes/blue backs are called Kokanee?
    I don't know what you would call them but I bet it's a blast to catch them