Thread: Detroit Reservoir, Cold and Slow

Default Detroit Reservoir, Cold and Slow

First a disclaimer. I am new to kokanee fishing and am learning to use my boat/rig effectively. I am an experienced frisherman, but am learning that catching kokanee is a science I have yet to learn. Saturday, tried Detroit Reservoir with the plan being to learn my fish finder (Raymarine Dragonfly) and to try some long lining with my Lamiglass rods. Launched at Mongold and immediately went to the mouth of Blowout Creek. The water temperature was about 51.5 degrees at the surface. We trolled back and forth across the mouth of creek at 1.3 MPH using the bow electric. Lee caught a nice, fat, kokanee within 10 minutes. 11". This was her first kokanee, so she was pretty excited. Using Uncle Carl's flashers (copper/red flourescent) with a matching assassin. Garlic scented shoepeg corn on the upper assassin hook. Caught two more small kokes that were released and a few trout (the "other" fish). My fish finder was showing the fish as fairly close to the surface and very scattered. Also tried around Piety Island and did not even get a bite. We fished for about four hours and then went in, due to the wind. Good opportunity to check out the fish finder and to get some hours on my Yammy for break in.

Have the Scotty 1101 down riggers installed, but am still having some issues that are probably typical for a new user. I think I need to purchase either 6" or 12" risers, as the clip is below the level of the gunnel when I pull it in to reset. I have a fifteen foot Alumacraft with not a lot of free board. My stopper beads have popped off (someone suggested super glue) and still learning to adjust the release clips. My current setup is a 10lb pencil weight, then a Scotty snubber, then the Chamberlain release. I find when I use the Scotty weight puller, the release clip is just below the gunnel. A little nervous about getting my hands that close to the cable when resetting the clip. I like the Chamberlain releases, but may have to go to a clip on ball troll with release on the end. Any opinions?

I am pleased with the 27 group AGM batteries I have in the front of the boat for the down riggers and the electric. I can get about four hours trolling time with one battery and the on board 15amp charger easily tops the batteries up overnight. As a a backup, I plan to install a happy troller on my 25 Yammy for those marinas or locations where the only place to plug in is a pine tree.

Have been doing a lot of lurking on this site and have learned a lot. Dragonfly and DLM have been most helpful. THANK YOU.

47, if you guys landed kokanee in Detroit first time out I would say you are doing pretty good. on the beads when I first started out I used the black beads they seamed to work better but they are probably the same material so it just might be a coincidence . the risers will help but I would have your fabricator add a cross brace from the gunnel down to the bottom mounting point then have him build the risers but make sure they are wide enough to hold the retriever rope lock so you pull your line up so you can hook up easily. the chamberlains take a few fish to get dialed in and I start with what I think is the lightest setting for the size fish I want and tighten up a little until the false releases stop but remember going from a sling blade with a wedding ring and switching to a dodger with a wiggle hoochie you will need to tighten it a hair, and going back, loosen it up a hair. once you get some time with them it just becomes second nature. you have a nice setup with a few more outings you will have things dialed in. my boat is almost done so I will probably see you out there starting in may. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

So is the lake up to the summer level ramps already?We were there about 2 months ago and the lake was way way way down has it already come up that far?

The level at Detroit is fine. 90% full pool as of today. Some minor debris floating in the lake, so be a little careful running from one location to another. Try running your downriggers shallow or long lining on the far side of Piety Island near the island campground. The Corps of Engineers publishes an updated teacup diagram for the reservoirs.