Thread: Buckboard?

Default Buckboard?

We are looking at an early trip (mid April) up to the gorge. We would like to fish the Wyoming side but have never been there that early. Does anyone know if the marina will be open and operational? Is there any tent camping available near Buckboard? Also, does anyone have any tips for fishing the Wyoming side in April? Thanks in advance!

US Forest Service has a campground at Buckboard. There shouldn't be a problem of getting in. Check for reservations requirements first. There is also plenty of primitive sites between Buckboard and the pipeline along the shoreline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter15 View Post
    We are looking at an early trip (mid April) up to the gorge. We would like to fish the Wyoming side but have never been there that early. Does anyone know if the marina will be open and operational? Is there any tent camping available near Buckboard? Also, does anyone have any tips for fishing the Wyoming side in April? Thanks in advance!
    I have heard that the ice is breaking up and by then you should be good. There isn't any snow at all. When we were there 2 weeks ago it felt like spring then when we came home it still feels like winter. I want to go back in april as well....

When you say primitive sites do you mean boat in only sites or are the sites accessible off forest service roads that lead to the lake? I'm assuming there is no charge for camping in the beach sites other than the day pass? Will we be able to purchase licenses and whatever other permits we need at Buckboard? I've never fished the Wyoming side of the lake does anyone have any ideas on where to start for kokes, Lakers, or burbot? Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    US Forest Service has a campground at Buckboard. There shouldn't be a problem of getting in. Check for reservations requirements first. There is also plenty of primitive sites between Buckboard and the pipeline along the shoreline.

Angry Forest Service Campground

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    The Forest Service Campground usually opens in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter15 View Post
    When you say primitive sites do you mean boat in only sites or are the sites accessible off forest service roads that lead to the lake? I'm assuming there is no charge for camping in the beach sites other than the day pass? Will we be able to purchase licenses and whatever other permits we need at Buckboard? I've never fished the Wyoming side of the lake does anyone have any ideas on where to start for kokes, Lakers, or burbot? Any help is appreciated!
    There is a daily usage fee for Flaming Gorge no matter where you camp. Last I saw the fees were $7 daily, &15 weekly, or $35 annually. Staying at the forest service campgrounds these fees are incorporated into campsites. Outside of that you would have to purchase the appropriate fee. There are service roads to give access to the shoreline & launch ramps, yes you can boat in camp.

For kokes and lakers try Anvil, Wildhorse, Middle Marsh, Skunk Cliffs, Ranch, Big Bend. I have never tried for burbot.

[QUOTE=Bduck;49892]There is a daily usage fee for Flaming Gorge no matter where you camp. Last I saw the fees were $7 daily, &15 weekly, or $35 annually. Staying at the forest service campgrounds these fees are incorporated into campsites.

Roger, are you sure that the FG entranace/user fee is incorporated into the campground fee? I can not find any written description of that, and have always paid both per what I was told.

Forest Serivce campground fee's are in addition to the Flaming Gorge user fee

We were always told when we camped at the forest service campground that we didn't have to pay additional user fees to be at the Gorge. They have specific instructions on how to display your campground reservation pass. I've been camping at Lucerne campgrounds for years. Rangers go from vehicle to vehicle checking for appropriate display of passes.

If you have a disability, you can take proper documentation to the forest service office in Manila or to the nearest BLM office near your town and they will issue a permanent pass which is good across the country for federal parks(usually free entrance), campgrounds(discount)and the Gorge(no user charge with federal pass). Some places like Strawberry(federal lands also) don't recognize the federal pass. Additional vehicles are subject to fees.

I will certainly check on that, as I have been paying both campground fee and the FG entrance/use fee. I do know things change and you need to keep on top of it. A couple years ago you needed to pay launch fees at Soldier Creek in addition to the Aspen Grove campground fees. Last year a separate launch fee was not required if you were camping.

My major disability is that I own a boat. Wonder if that will qualify me for an extra fee? Come to think of it does, in fact several in several states!

I have a disability which I was able to get the federal pass. Before I use to purchase the annual FG pass because of the day trips I would make and still do. The annual fee of $35 is the only way to go if you have to purchase a pass. This is a reasonable price. I can't say what Buckboard does and if they are on the same page as Lucerne campgrounds. I have never camped at Buckboard and they are federal.

Both lucerne and buckboard are controlled by the same company and all rules apply. If you have a federal pass you don't need the day use pass.

And if you are old enough (62), the Golden Passport also allows free use without the entrance fee.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks for everyone’s input, what about camping at squaw hollow/ Holmes Crossing? Would it be a good idea to stay closer to the middle of the Wyoming side to have greater range? Any thoughts of where to start for Kokanee of Lakers this early in the spring?