Thread: Kokanee newb with questions

Question Kokanee newb with questions

If I am fortunate and can get my vacation request in time I won't be losing or having to donate my vacation hours, again, as has been often the case.

So, a weeks worth of Kokanee fishing may be in the works this year, but that also means that the wife will be going, so nice campgrounds are a priority!

We live about 40 minutes from Green Peter, so I thought we'd try another lake that had a good Kokanee population, generous bag limits, no water skiers and a nice campground.

I have a 12' Porta-Bote with a 5.5hp Johnson that I can launch without a boat ramp. I'll be adding downriggers and a fish finder very soon.

Klamath county offers:
    • Miller Lake
    • Lake of the Woods - too many water skiers???
    • Fourmile Lake
    • Odell Lake - may get too windy for my 12' Porta-bote???

The central Cascades offer:
    • Wikiup
    • Suttle Lake
    • Elk Lake

We have a tent trailer for camping, but no "facilities". Which lake above would you recommend, so that I don't have to pack up and find a "nicer" campground???

Thanks for your advice!

Odell has really nice campgrounds. Trapper creek is nice and you could fish that end of the lake and be close to the campground in case the wind starts up.
    21' Red Maxxim NR Seahawk

NWFishQuest.com

Quote Originally Posted by dirthawk View Post
    Odell has really nice campgrounds. Trapper creek is nice and you could fish that end of the lake and be close to the campground in case the wind starts up.
    Thanks for the reply.

The fishing regs state that fishing at Odell opens April 26. Trapper Creek campground will open May 22.
    Is May, June or July the better month for fishing for Kokanee at Odell?

If I was you I would split your trip in half. Go to Odell half the week and go to wickiup the other half(you won't regret it).
    Both have 25 fish limits and the fish in wickiup are larger and have the "wickiup attitude".
    As said above trapper creek is nice. As for wickiup, book a stay at south twin creek. Cabins or campground are both nice and it's just down the road from wickiup. Plus south twin puts out nice size rainbows. If fishing a slow head to crane prairie.
    South twin, crane and wickiup are all pretty much right next to each other.

As for time of year you can't go wrong with June. Water levels will be good and fish will be putting on weight.

Good luck!

Edit: watch the forecast at wickiup for your boat. Hit it at o'dark thirty and be off the water before the wind picks up. Don't worry too much. I handled it in a 14' smokercraft with a 5' beam. Just be careful.
    Last edited by rainORsnow1; 02-17-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rainORsnow1 View Post
    If I was you I would split your trip in half. Go to Odell half the week and go to wickiup the other half(you won't regret it).
    Both have 25 fish limits and the fish in wickiup are larger and have the "wickiup attitude".
    As said above trapper creek is nice. As for wickiup, book a stay at south twin creek. Cabins or campground are both nice and it's just down the road from wickiup. Plus south twin puts out nice size rainbows. If fishing a slow head to crane prairie.
    South twin, crane and wickiup are all pretty much right next to each other.

As for time of year you can't go wrong with June. Water levels will be good and fish will be putting on weight.

Good luck!

Edit: watch the forecast at wickiup for your boat. Hit it at o'dark thirty and be off the water before the wind picks up. Don't worry too much. I handled it in a 14' smokercraft with a 5' beam. Just be careful.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Looks like Gull Point campground has all the amenities that will keep my wife happy.

Awesome! It is a nice campground. Me and my girl just prefer south twin.(or I should say my girlfriend requires a cabin)
    Hope you get into lots and lots!
    If you have any other questions I'll help the best I can. But I will say, you are in luck! There are wickiup experts on here. Such as fallriverguy(see the pic at the top of the page with the guy holding plywood with all those large fish, that's him) and DLM to name a couple.

Shelter cove resort has a nice campground it is also at Odell with showers. You should have no problems at Odell if you stay at the west end.

Quote Originally Posted by rainORsnow1 View Post
    Awesome! It is a nice campground. Me and my girl just prefer south twin.(or I should say my girlfriend requires a cabin)
    Hope you get into lots and lots!
    If you have any other questions I'll help the best I can. But I will say, you are in luck! There are wickiup experts on here. Such as fallriverguy(see the pic at the top of the page with the guy holding plywood with all those large fish, that's him) and DLM to name a couple.
    While I do fish Wickiup as much as possible and have learned a great deal about that water the last couple years I am in no way in the same league as FallRiverGuy. I will be fishing Wickiup even more this year, keeping one eye on my lines and the other on FWG trying to figure out what he is doing. I am seriously trying to figure out how to plant a camera and microphone on his boat. Hey, maybe a drone would work
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Hey DLM, a suggestion may by to hide a gopro on his boat. They can be controlled with your smart phone although I am not sure about range. LOL. Wickiup or Odell would get my vote also. Bigger fish later in the year but I hear some think Wickiup fish start tasting a little "muddy" lat in the summer. Later in the year is usually better at Odell for trollers, but sounds like jiggers slaughter them earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by kenamatic View Post
    Hey DLM, a suggestion may by to hide a gopro on his boat. They can be controlled with your smart phone although I am not sure about range. LOL. Wickiup or Odell would get my vote also. Bigger fish later in the year but I hear some think Wickiup fish start tasting a little "muddy" lat in the summer. Later in the year is usually better at Odell for trollers, but sounds like jiggers slaughter them earlier.
    I think the muddy taste thing is a rumor FRG spread to keep us this side of the mountain when the fish get really big.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Wikiup is a great kokanee lake that produced great fish last year. The water skiers don't usually start to show up until later June early July. There are 4 great campgrounds but only one has any hookups but you have to reserve a year ahead. I recommend Gull Point even though it has no hookups it is right on the lake with about a 2 min boat ride to the great fishing. I would give it a try it is worth it. Good luck this year!