Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Hi autorick, I talked to the Dworshak State Park Ranger today about the available camping, the only camping allowed at this time would be at the Freeman Creek Campground, or the boat in campsites located around the lake, since the lake level will be quite low when you come in March, the Freeman Creek Campground would be the best bet. The freeman Creek Campground is really nice, you would like it. The best news is that the Kokanee are on the bite, and are about the same size as last year, looks like it's going to be a great season. See you on the lake, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    Boated 4, all 14", 1 rainbow, 0 squaw. I found the depth as my trolling motor was died. I was fishing 50-20 all day(WAY BELOW them). I got about 40 minutes in at the right depth as the motor went form 1.2-.6mph very quickly. Too slow for my blood...
    Glad you found them and thanks for the info, I'm hoping winter is almost done

Do you troll with an electric motor?
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Plan on getting out in March here too....getting the itch. Buddy got a new boat late last fall that we're dying to try out.

How are you early season folks getting fish around the dam? Kinda got things figured out later in the season last year up around Indian, Canyon and Dicks Creek areas...never did figure out the dam area.

jumperzee, The Park Ranger told me they were catching Kokanee from Canyon Creek to the dam, I have never fished near the dam, but would guess that the concentration of boats would tell you where the fish are schooled, maybe someone that has fished the Merrys Bay area will make a post.

Quote Originally Posted by kok-head View Post
    Glad you found them and thanks for the info, I'm hoping winter is almost done

Do you troll with an electric motor?
    Yup, Boated 2 today.... Wind was BAD for my little 14' Had pretty consistent bites. If you know where the school is^^

Kenbarb, thank you for the information. My original plans were to camp at Freeman, looks like a great place on google earth, but we decided it was too far to boat to the dam everyday for fishing, assuming the fish are at the dam. My boat is thirsty so I try not to make many long trips in it. That is how I came up with Bruce's Eddy launch site for our campsite. I will probably be down there first of April checking it all out, then April 24th the whole group of us will be down for our four day trip. hopefully the weather is good and the fishing is great.

Autorick,
    I dont fish the dam part of the lake much But that said, I dont fish Dworshak early very often. I start to get the tingle about the last week in May. I kinda have gotten stuck in a rut with Dworshak being a fill the canner type lake. I get some eats and than start fishing other lakes for bigger fish. The times I have fished that way I fished the east side of the lake. When you launch at bruces eddie, go east about 600 or 700 yards from the launch and there will be 2 ridges that come down. They are very sharp pointed. You can see them on google earth. Use your fish finder to locate the school or do S curves about 50 yards off shore and work your way out deeper from there. Stay lined up with these 2 ridges. Sometimes they hang out by the log raft just dink around there and something will happen. That raft also holds some good trout if you put a worm harness close to or under it. Other than that troll up the lake on the east side , no telling were they are in there shallow or deep but work it out. When I get about even with Big eddy I turn and head back down to the dam. Sometime the kokes, early in Dworshak will get scary close to the bank.
    People pick up some nice bass early from the bank at Bruces.
    Last edited by fishslayer13; 02-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.

The park Ranger said fish were being caught from Canyon Creek to the dam, so I think it would probably be good fishing at Freeman Creek, and in front of the park. We fished that area in July last year, and it was great, most of the time we had the area all to our self, there were a lot of people launching, and heading toward Canyon Creek, and Elk Creek. The only time we used the big motor was to launch the boat, we would then start fishing a short distance from the launch. As soon as we get a good weather forecast for four or five days we will give it a go, and camp at Freeman which is a beautiful campground, may end up fishing closer to the dam, but that's fishing, no matter what it's going to be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    Yup, Boated 2 today.... Wind was BAD for my little 14' Had pretty consistent bites. If you know where the school is^^
    if fishing out of a boat under 16' or 18' it doesn't take much wind to make LP pretty rough, nice going for being the only KFF member boating kokanee right now

Drove up to look yesterday. Pretty much full. Bayhorse is right about road- really bad. There was a couple of guys pulling a jet boat up there yesterday- hats off to them.

I passed due to wind with my 22'. First Timer is a brave soul.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbarb View Post
    The park Ranger said fish were being caught from Canyon Creek to the dam, so I think it would probably be good fishing at Freeman Creek, and in front of the park. We fished that area in July last year, and it was great, most of the time we had the area all to our self, there were a lot of people launching, and heading toward Canyon Creek, and Elk Creek. The only time we used the big motor was to launch the boat, we would then start fishing a short distance from the launch. As soon as we get a good weather forecast for four or five days we will give it a go, and camp at Freeman which is a beautiful campground, may end up fishing closer to the dam, but that's fishing, no matter what it's going to be a lot of fun.
    Are they catching them now? BURRR. My husband want to get out and get started but I thought it was to early... So did you get any info on if they were hit and miss or if they were catching a lot consistantly? Wonder if they are small again this year?

Hey tirby, According to what the Park Ranger said they are catching them now, he said people were not getting limits, but the catching is pretty consistent. We have never fished for them this early either, but like everyone else can hardly wait to get started, may do a one day trip next week, looks like the weather might be pretty good, but will still need a heater to make it comfortable.

Had a friend go last week during the warm spell and didnt catch a single koke. Caught a few trout. Said it was darn slow.

Kenbarb, let us know how you do! Fishslayer, thanks for the info... I'll be sure the hubby knows... SLOW

Pulled the boat up sat am the road was still terrible. We were the first boat in and the last out. We finally landed 2 small 12" kokes at 4:30. My friend kept a limit of trout he caught with a long line rapala. We talked to one other boat who had landed 2 all day. The water temp was 37 degrees. Fish caught on red and silver dodger with silver wr at 18'.
    Well we tried! But I believe I will wait for the road to be graded and the water temp to go up some before I venture up again.
    Good luck!

Fished yesterday 2/23 from about 8:30 to 12:00 in the pool out in front of the marina. Water was 38 degrees, picked up two Kokanee about 14".

Quote Originally Posted by bayhorse View Post
    Pulled the boat up sat am the road was still terrible. We were the first boat in and the last out. We finally landed 2 small 12" kokes at 4:30. My friend kept a limit of trout he caught with a long line rapala. We talked to one other boat who had landed 2 all day. The water temp was 37 degrees. Fish caught on red and silver dodger with silver wr at 18'.
    Well we tried! But I believe I will wait for the road to be graded and the water temp to go up some before I venture up again.
    Good luck!
    thanks for the report, do you know how much line you had out?

last year when i fished early and late in the year i had the best luck letting out at least 120' or so, i'm sure anywhere in the top 20' of water will be where the fish are but when the water is below 45 degrees i can usually only get fish in the top 10' of water to cooperate

Thanks for the report, HCM23. The dam area often outproduces Spring Shores this time of year. Mike

yeah we cruised down there to give it a go but the wind was blowing harder at the dam and I didn't feel like fighting it in my sail of a boat when the wind is blowing.

The long lines were 55 pulls from the reel to the first eye.
    Fish were caught on DR at 18'depth and 50' back.

I figured out how to post pics! This was 2-22 by the dam. Many others on and boated about 6 other small ones. Lots of trout too. I didn't catch anything until I slowed to .6-1.2 mph.

Hello all,
    New to the group and just started trolling for kokanee last year with my son. We spent most of our time in arrowrock. It appears from the fish and game reports they put a lot of kokes in LP. Is one body of water better than the other this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by pthept View Post
    Hello all,
    New to the group and just started trolling for kokanee last year with my son. We spent most of our time in arrowrock. It appears from the fish and game reports they put a lot of kokes in LP. Is one body of water better than the other this time of year?
    welcome to KFF pthept,

both reservoirs will be raising and lowering drastically (link below), i tend to focus on the reservoir that is dropping unless its dropping more than 1ft/day then ill focus on the reservoir with the least amount of change/day, both bodies of water will be very cold until late march / early April, in years past in seems like AR starts to produce active kokanee earlier than LP, and AR should have slightly warmer water temps right now but i haven't had a water temp update for a while for AR

good luck this year

http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/ramp...arrowrock.html

anyone know how Anderson might be this year for kokanee? the Idaho fish and game website show 3-6" chinook being stocked May 2013, anyone know how long it might take the chinook to get big enough to eat some of those runt kokanee? i couldn't find much on the web about landlocked chinook growth rates

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast