Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Wickiup Fishing Reports

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    hoochies 80 to 100 feet back, no weight.
    thanks for the update DLM...gonna try to get back over there for the holiday weekend...

we usually run our gear 30-35 "pulls" which is about 50 ft...I cant imagine trying to real in 100 ft of jumping crazy hot Kokanee...lol I lose enough as it is...

DLM Nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    thanks for the update DLM...gonna try to get back over there for the holiday weekend...

we usually run our gear 30-35 "pulls" which is about 50 ft...I cant imagine trying to real in 100 ft of jumping crazy hot Kokanee...lol I lose enough as it is...
    100' makes for a very tired Koke when it gets to the boat, which makes it easier to net by yourself when your partner is working on the other half of a double. It was a Chinese fire drill a couple times which was a blast. Saddest part is it will be at least three weeks before I can get back over there.
    Last edited by DLM; 05-05-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

HAHAHAHA...how true...that's great...
    along with your slow retrieve and long handle net...
    I will have to give that a shot next time...hopefully memorial weekend...

I took my wife and kids out yesterday (fun way to spend Mother's day) and the water was calm, the sun came out it was a very easy day on the water. The bite for me was very slow; seven hours of fishing for seven fish. Color, lure, location on the lake, scent nothing seemed to make a difference. I hope to be out again this coming weekend but we’ll see.

Fished today from 6:30 til two. Slow first off in the morning and then finally found some willing fish around 9:30. Pink hootchies long lined on surface and then orange and yellow on downriggers around 20'. Lost some and had a few driveby's where you just cant understand how a fish didnt get hooked. Wind came up around 12:30 making it tough to troll any direction except with the wind. Ended up with 21 in the boat. Some bigger ones than what I found 2 weeks ago. Largest couple were right at 17"

Quote Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
    Fished today from 6:30 til two. Slow first off in the morning and then finally found some willing fish around 9:30. Pink hootchies long lined on surface and then orange and yellow on downriggers around 20'. Lost some and had a few driveby's where you just cant understand how a fish didnt get hooked. Wind came up around 12:30 making it tough to troll any direction except with the wind. Ended up with 21 in the boat. Some bigger ones than what I found 2 weeks ago. Largest couple were right at 17"
    very good! where about did you troll?
    by chance did you get a water temp?

off goose island Water was 55 to start saw it up to 60 and then back down to 58 after the wind blew for an hour or so
    Last edited by chukardave1; 05-17-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Took the kids back out yesterday. Fished from 10-1:30 in the blowing wind and rain showers. Could only wind drift but had steady action on surface with an orange spinner hootchie and on the downriggers with pink and green spinners. Fished the main body of the lake starting upwind in the davis and ending down near goose island. No one spot was a standout. Water was 57* so the cooler weather has slowed the warmup for now. Landed 15 and had a tough time losing some by myself trying to net while the kids played video games in the cuddy wrapped up in blankets. Seems every time I take my daughter with me the weather is not cooperative. All in all it was a good day and gave Mom some alone time.

I fished both Saturday and Sunday with a different buddy. Both days ended with 27 after a long day on the water. Did a lot of wind drifting like CD1 both days. Orange, pink and red hoochies all worked at different times. Had some luck with a pink and green spinner as well. fished a top lines and the 2 off the riggers between 10-20.

How bad are the mosquitoes at Wickiup this time of year?

We were there Friday night and Saturday and saw one skeeter, no bites, got him first.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    How bad are the mosquitoes at Wickiup this time of year?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Well I had to get another fix. The Derby just wasn't enough to tide me over for very long. Ran up yesterday with a buddy visiting from out of town. We fished from 9-1. OK action and the water temp was cooler, I think the weekend weather and wind helped with that. Had fish from surface down to 23'. Orange on top and pink down deep. We boated 16, and it definitely slowed a bit after 11. One bad note I lost my favorite Lamiglas rod over the side. Never dropped a rod in the water before in over 30 years of fishing. It was sad to watch it slowly sink away. I had it in freespool and missed putting it in the rod holder. Grabbed the line but by the time I got all the line off the reel it snapped at the spool. Just glad it was me and not my buddy. No one to be mad at other than myself. One other good thing I get to buy a new rod and reel, which is on its way from Kokanee Tackle as we speak.

Sorry to hear about the rod, wonder if it landed near my net...

Apparently I did not get enough last week either, heading back over tonight after work with the grandson for the weekend, maybe move to Odell if Wickiup does not cooperate.
    Last edited by DLM; 06-24-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    David

Bummer about the rod CD1. I have yet to loose a rod over the side but have lost just about everything else. I have almost learned to not throw the dodger/lure over the side until I have double checked that it is attached to my line. 16 fish in 4 hours sounds like your slowest day yet....
    Last edited by Fallriverguy; 06-23-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriverguy View Post
    16 fish in 4 hours sounds like your slowest day yet....
    That's what happens when you handicap him with one less rod. LOL!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Was back at it again yesterday. Found willing fish right from the get go. Same orange hootchies on top and orange/yellow flies were hot to start. Switched to down riggers and spinners around 20' for a good part of the morning. Then back to the surface with the rain at noon. Biggest fish of the year so far. Lost several pigs that would smack the spinners at 20' and be out of the water dancing before the clip would even release. It was a hoot. Left at 1 with 27 on ice. Biggest fish were 18.5"

Default Wickiuip 6/28

Fished 6/28 with my brother, who has never fished for Kokanee before, and Chukerdave. He was camping up there boatless. We picked him up from shore about about 6:15 and were fishing shortly after that. We had periods of slow fishing but much of the day it was pretty study action with several triples and doubles. It was a pleasure to fish with Dave again. I think we might have set the bar a bit high for my brother's first kokanee fishing trip. We dropped off Dave back at shore at 1:30 with 40 fish. My brother and took a break for several hours and fished another 1.5 hours. Dave was generous and have us all his fish. We ended the day with 49. We caught a couple of nice fish. The largest was 18" and 2lbs 2oz. The average fish was 15" and about 1.5 lbs.

Paulina peak dodgers and hoochies did much of the heavy lifting. Some home made tackle and sling blades accounted for many of the other fish. Orange and green were the two best colors. The fish are still spread out and were caught on surface line to 20' on the downriggers.

Last edited by Fallriverguy; 06-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Fished with chukardave1 on Friday and put 58 in the boat. What an incredible day! Most fish were off the downriggers 25 feet down in the deeper water 40-55 feet. Best areas were from the confluence of channels to the middle of the lake. White blade spinners in orange and large white and white combo hoochies were the hot ticket behind gold dodgers and sling blades. Surface lines also produced. Highlight was watching Dave dive for the net and come upnwith it while Leonard fought a fish.
    Its bad luck to be superstitious.

Fished this past Friday. My neighbor Leonard and I were finally able to fulfill a quest I have been trying for for many years. A Wickiup limit! Fished 8-4 and put the magic 50th fish in the box just before 4. My wife told me that it will never end for me and my addiction and she is probably right. White hootchies and gold Big Eye dodgers all on down riggers in the Deschutes channel did the trick. About 3:15 it hit me that we should probably count and see where we were. At that point we had 44 fish. We made one more troll and had the last 6 fish, 2 on each of the down riggers for an even split of the action. Fish averaged 16"+ (largest right at 18" and 2.6#) with a couple showing some signs of the spawn coming on. But by and large the majority were still dime bright and were still losing scales.

Dave -

Congratulations I would love to have a day on Wickiup where I limit out. The best I've done was a day where my buddy and I had 32 between the two of us. You clearly have the Midas touch when it comes to fishing at Wickiup. I fished with my daughter, her little friend and her dad Sunday. The water was very calm we landed 8 and everything was between 25-35 feet. I have two specific questions for you. I don't have any white hoocies, are you using something that Bret sells or are you using a hoochie from another manufacturer (if so who)? When you run your downriggers do you use stackers so that you can run two lines on each downrigger? If so how do get them set to avoid tangles. For example I've been trying to use a 30 foot set back and then running that line down 25-30 ft (bottom most line on the down rigger). I then give a longer set back (50 ft or so) and then using my stackers I run it at 10-5 feet above the bottom most. I had a ton of tangles and suspect that it's because of how I was trying to set my gear. am I don't something wrong?

Again congratulations on the two man limit. The more folks I talk to, the more I realize you're something of a local legend. I had knee surgery a few years back and Erik Zamboni was my physical therapist. My wife ran into him the other day and he indicated that he went fishing with "a guy he knows" whose put 500 or so kokes on his boat this year. It can only be you...

Thanks again for the tips over the year... I would still like to take you up on your offer of fishing together but my schedule for the remainder of the summer is such that it might have to be next season.

Regards,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Dave -

Congratulations I would love to have a day on Wickiup where I limit out. The best I've done was a day where my buddy and I had 32 between the two of us. You clearly have the Midas touch when it comes to fishing at Wickiup. I fished with my daughter, her little friend and her dad Sunday. The water was very calm we landed 8 and everything was between 25-35 feet. I have two specific questions for you. I don't have any white hoocies, are you using something that Bret sells or are you using a hoochie from another manufacturer (if so who)? When you run your downriggers do you use stackers so that you can run two lines on each downrigger? If so how do get them set to avoid tangles. For example I've been trying to use a 30 foot set back and then running that line down 25-30 ft (bottom most line on the down rigger). I then give a longer set back (50 ft or so) and then using my stackers I run it at 10-5 feet above the bottom most. I had a ton of tangles and suspect that it's because of how I was trying to set my gear. am I don't something wrong?

Again congratulations on the two man limit. The more folks I talk to, the more I realize you're something of a local legend. I had knee surgery a few years back and Erik Zamboni was my physical therapist. My wife ran into him the other day and he indicated that he went fishing with "a guy he knows" whose put 500 or so kokes on his boat this year. It can only be you...

Thanks again for the tips over the year... I would still like to take you up on your offer of fishing together but my schedule for the remainder of the summer is such that it might have to be next season.

Regards,

Matt
    Thanks Matt….PM sent

Thumbs up BIGGER FISH

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Being a Kokanee guy is tantamount to being a gear junky… that being said I read an article over the weekend about the large 2-5 lbs Koke’s being taken up at Lake Chelan, in the article the author mentioned using 3” brads cut plugs. I’ve never used one and curious if anyone has had success with them at Wickiup? I might need more gear on the boat.
    A recommendation that I would make is to go to the kokaneetackle.com site and look at their various viper spoons. I use their hooches, assasins and viper spoons. The viper spoons work great on the larger fish. I found them pretty effective this year. I also make some of my own gear so I know what you mean by being a gear junkeeeee!

Wish I could make over there to Lake Chelan as I used to live by there in Ellensburg. Just to far from Eastern Idaho to go catch fish.

Gonefishing

found no mention of viper spoon

wow what is the limit there

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast