Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Wickiup Fishing Reports

Has any body been fishing at GP lately .Would like to know the launching conditions at thistle creek Thanks

Thistle is good to go.
    21' Red Maxxim NR Seahawk

NWFishQuest.com

Dr.Matt have to agree with Fallriverguy They or he were fishing for something else like a land lock chinook/lake trout etc and hooked into a kokanee. I had a personnel experience at Wallowa trolling a custom made K-11 and hooked the larges kokanee I ever hooked. It changed my thought pattern on kokanee fishing. When fish get into that size do they eat other things I may put a pole out with a k-11 if I new of very very big fish like Wallowa at one time was famous for/ and it certainly won't be a brads cut plug. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Being a Kokanee guy is tantamount to being a gear junky… that being said I read an article over the weekend about the large 2-5 lbs Koke’s being taken up at Lake Chelan, in the article the author mentioned using 3” brads cut plugs. I’ve never used one and curious if anyone has had success with them at Wickiup? I might need more gear on the boat.
    I've caught more kokanee on them at lbc then bull trout. So maybe you're on to something..
    - I don't fish when I have time.. I make time to fish

A bit more than a week to go... can't wait

Default cut plugs

I always wondered if they would work for macks at Odell?
    Last edited by Lund troller; 04-20-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: wrong forum

Quote Originally Posted by Lund troller View Post
    Went to Greenpeter 4/19 it was slow for me only landed 7 had a lot more wind than normal and some heavy rain but we kept right on trolling. Hope the weather will stay dry for opening day hoping to go to Odell.Don't like to drive up the hill with moisture could turn to snow really quick.Any body else go to Greenpeter this past weekend?????
    I was there also. Got on the water at 7 didnt touch a fish until 9:30 or so. Then i landed 8 between 9:30 and 11:30. I left when the wind and rain kicked up at 11:30. I caught them all at 40' on a rainbow hootchie by the mouth of Rumbaugh (sp?) creek

Don't get your hopes up for Lk, Chelan , we were at the tournament both days.....largest fish caught was 2 lb 4 oz, I know because we missed big fish of the tournament by 2 oz, our fish was 2 lb, 2 oz did that on Saturday and Sunday both, although I did pick up the side pot on largest rainbow at 2 lb 8 oz. sure was a fun.......going to head down your way maybe in June to fish with my 83 yr old brother, he lives in Ponderosa Pines. maybe see you on the water...........

Forgot to put in that the check in by fish and game for 37 boats for the 2 days was 275 fish........

Opening day weather at Wickiup not looking to spectacular....

yea just check weather report I like the cloud cover better then SUNNY, but the wind turns me off. I been there with snow. Just have to wait and see

We are going to postpone a week or two, weather+crowd+chest cold=no fun at all.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Well not sure how the rest of you did but for me opening day was epic. It was by far one of the best days I've ever had fishing on Wickiup, and one of the best opening days I have had in years. I had 30 fish in the boat and lost maybe 6. Went out again on Sunday and it was the complete opposite. I keep a journal and I was looking back to my notes from opening weekend 2012 and Saturday was great and Sunday not so much. Just curious to see how you guys did and if anyone fished today.

My Dad came down and fished with me and my son. He posted our report in the Recipes section thread. Not sure how to move it here.

My buddy and I fished til 2:30 and were able to get our 50 fish. Sunday was more difficult but finished with 27 at noon.

Saturday was great! we managed 28 between Dad, B.I.L and myself... we tossed two big browns and a large rainbow back...dad had a slow start, not even getting a bite for the first few hours...then after he threw his banana over he started getting bit ...all in all we had a very good opener with lots of action...

the $24 question is how does a guy increase his fish in the boat ratio...we've been fishing kokanee for years...sometimes we lose a lot sometimes we don't...this weekend we lost a ton...besides all the normal precautions (soft rod, snubber, double hook, rod tip in the water, long handle net...etc.)

any advice?

Attachment 7128

this is what works for me. 7'+ glass rod for the limberness. I use the lamaglas JJs. 8 lb maxama mono for the predictable stretch. with that no snubber is needed. the reels I use are the tica and the Abu Garcia with the thumb bar probably the most important tool even though the drag is set sometimes the fish doesn't fit the drag you have adjusted and I can control that with my thumb rather than trying to adjust the star for different fish and runs the dbl hooks are a must, along with a good long handled net. I use the ego. short to store long when you need it, this puts a lot more fish in the boat for me. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

We had periods where we could not keep a fish hooked. Later we would go through a period where we landed everything we hooked. If you are running the right rods, reels, line and hooks, then there is not much more to do other that finesse the fish and not horse them in. DF had great advice about using the free spool and your thumb as the drag.

There were a couple of observations I had from the past weekend. 1) we lost more small fish that large one. I think the smaller fish have softer mouths. 2) When the fish are striking tentatively, due to not having some thing just right, we lost more fish. Aggressive kokanee were will hooked with both hook in deep in the mouth. Soft biters were barely hooked and often came unhooked after being netted.
    Last edited by Fallriverguy; 04-29-2014 at 11:45 AM.

I concentrate on bringing them in very sloooooow, with a light drag. I see a lot of people cranking as fast as they can and I think that is a mistake. Not only does it increase the possibility of a premature release, it also means that the fish is still full of fight when you get it to the boat and try to net it. I prefer to see them laying on their side and tired at boat side.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Fallriverguy - nice haul, we were only able to eek out 4 on Sunday we fished the same area generally speaking the same tackle etc.

So I'm taking the day off and planning to get back out on the water tomorrow. Opening weekend I was fishing Paulina Peak Big Eye dodgers (silver) and Pauline Peak micro hoochies (orange) predominantly. I had four rods in the water and on one of them I did try using a brad's cut plug behind a wobbler. I worked, I did catch fish but not like the other tackle I was using. The other thing I was getting constant action on a purple wiggle hoochie. I fished two rods on the surface and the other two was anywhere from 5'-13'.

If any of you have been out the last few days I'd be curious to know how the bit has been and what tackle you're using.

Was out on Friday. Steady bite with a few 10 minute lulls. Same gear as the opener. Orange seemed to be color of choice in hootchies and spinners. Top and down to 20'. 3 of us put 59 in the boat. Lots of short bites and drive-bys and more lost fish on the way to the boat than the opener. Also didn't find the bigger fish like on Saturday. Was planning on taking the kids today but the wind and weather forecast made me change my mind. Looking at the winds currently, that might have been a mistake.

Based on what I see out my window you made the right choice.

No complaints except for Sat 4-3-2014. They just weren't cooperating at all and then the wind kicked me off at 10 AM. Oh well. The prior 3 trips I put 75 in the boat so I am doing way better than last year. Man the Kokes lood great this year. I will be at it again next weekend. Orange seemed to be working real well. Sep's Gold Dodgers 4 1/2 in. and Moonglow Dodgers from Kokaneekid were working well also.

The wife and I got in a few hours Saturday morning, boating 14, premature release on 3. White anything was the key at daybreak and switched to orange hoochies about 7:30. This was our first actual fishing trip with the new boat so we were fine tuning a lot of stuff. Tried 4 lines at first but got a lot of tangles, gotta work on more of a spread. Very hot bite hit at 0900 and we could only keep two lines in the water. I think the way it was going we could have limited if we had all day to fish. We were running dodgers (White early, then gold) and hoochies 80 to 100 feet back, no weight.
    David

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast