Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Green Peter Fishing Reports

Darned wind. Wish there was some way to better predict when it will start. My drive to the lake is 1.5 hours and to drive 3 hours rt, only to fish for a few hours. Is it more predictable later in the summer? Better luck next time, JL.

JL this site is very good this guy keeps it updated and it is very professional, here's a link to his water levels and wind predictions if you go down to lake water levels the wind is in that section http://nwfishquest.com/?page_id=48 the wind is pretty predictable it usually starts light about 10:00 and usually starts to die down about 3:00 but some days are worse or better than others I usually catch more fish once it picks up but it is a pain to keep straight that's where hopefully my bow mount will help. you could go up the arms the one at whitcomb has always been good but the fish may be a little small. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

I went to Cabela's in Springfield today and bought another rod/reel combo...a 6' medium action bass rod and Garcia stardrag left-handed reel...to use on my 2nd downrigger. The rod I got there earlier is a great surface long-line rod but is too soft to use on the downrigger without the tip being underwater.

I also got a 30" drift sock...or sea anchor. Next time the wind comes up I'll shut down the motor and wind drift with the sea anchor.

And, I couldn't resist buying a Pro-Troll Kokanee Killer electronic lure colored "flame sparkle". It looks something like a Flatfish with two tandem hooks. There's an "Echip" affixed to it. Supposedly it elicits up to 8 times more strikes than other lures. Anybody have experience with these devices?

Fished Green Peter today from 6am to almost 10. Caught 4...two on a chrome dodger and white/pink spinner at 30' and two on a white/pink dodger and Raptor spinner, also at 30-35 feet. Tried the lure with the e-chip but had no takers. The reservoir is about as full as it ever gets...up in the trees. When I launched at Thistle Creek shortly before 6am there were only 4 rigs in the parking lot. When I took out at 10 there were 15 to 20. Weather was overcast with a few very light sprinkles and a westerly breeze after about 8am.

Anybody been fishing at GP lately ???

Went to Green Peter for the first time in a couple years. First year with a downrigger and we had a blast, fished through the wind both days but it was worth it. Fished today and yesterday 5/30-6/1, arrived 10:30 on Saturday and fished till 8:00 PM. Sunday fished from around 8 AM until 6 PM, spent a lot of time covering ground but had the best success between the Deadman Creek and the Thistle Creek arms. Almost all the fish were caught between 35-45 feet, depthfinder saw a lot of noise as far down as 60 feet as well as some big blips around 100-125. Caught most of the fish on the Downrigger with Seps dodger, silver/silver and a little (i mean tiny) pink rooster tail and pink dick knights. Caught a couple pretty rainbows as well. 25ish Kokes in the cooler, all between about 9-14 inchers, all pretty. We lost quite a few fish too right up by the boat. All in all a great trip, hope we get another chance to drop in sooner than a couple years from now!

P.S. will try to get a picture up tomorrow in between smoker tending!

Went up last Wednesday. fished 5 hours. Started the day with pink hoochies and then switched to chartreuse spin and glo's about 11 am. 12 Kokes in the boat. fishing alone so I had a few quick releases. Also kept a couple of nice trout (remember they eat the kokes! take em home!)Beautiful day, flat lake, no wind

Thanks for the reports sounds like the fishing is picking up. Great news.

Fished GP yesterday (monday) from 6:15 to 9:45am. Very little breeze, clouds burned off by about 8:30 and that's about when the bite died off...not many other boats out, maybe 15 or so. Caught 7 kokanee, all on the downriggers at 30' and 40' using small chrome dodger and pink/white beaded spinner w/corn on the deep one, a pink/white dodger and orange/chrome spinner w/trailer hooks and corn on the other.

I found you can go too slow for kokanee...bought a 30" drift sock (sea anchor) at Cabela's the other day. Dragged it behind the boat for the first half hour...nothing. Going too slow. Brought it in and then trolled with just the 9.9hp pushing my 14 footer just right, apparently, as the fish began biting immediately.

when fishing mornings and the sun comes out and fishing around 35' or shallower I will switch to a gold dodger or painted chartreuse. the deeper ones I switch from glo or white to silver base dodgers with pink splatter or matrix color schemes. and go from there. dfly

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    when fishing mornings and the sun comes out and fishing around 35' or shallower I will switch to a gold dodger or painted chartreuse. the deeper ones I switch from glo or white to silver base dodgers with pink splatter or matrix color schemes. and go from there. dfly
    Went out Wed 6/4 from 7am till noon. Bite was off but still ended up with a nice cooler full of silver bullets! At about 40 - 45 feet. Water temp up to 65 deg. Pink and Chartreuse worked about as good as anything. ended the day with good action on a green and black wedding ring. Talked to a lot of people with only a few fish. Wind as almost always was a factor. Talked to one old boy that was jigging near the dam and ended up with a limit. I was fishing by the floating john east to the next inlet. Lots of fish on fishfinder but had to work at it to get them in the cooler. Fish for dinner, nobody got hurt, didn't break anything and got home safe. That equals a great day.

Thanks for the report, BigBob...

Have you tried fishing up any of the arms of the lake or going up to the upper end?

I usually fish between Thistle Creek and the island...but that's just me...and my little boat & motor.

Thinking about going to greenpeter with someone who hasn't been kok fishing before.When I was up at odell on the fourth a couple of guys said the fish where only 10"-11" .I was just wondering if that was true? Maybe I should go back to odell

At GP you will catch 10 Kokes under 9 inches for every one you catch over 10 inches. We fished the derby on Saturday and while we did catch one that was 14 inches, it weighed just over 8 ounces. We caught fish all the way down to six inches.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Unlike last year when 12 inchers were the norm in July...

I haven't been fishing in about a month but plan to remedy that next week at GP.

"At GP you will catch 10 Kokes under 9 inches for every one you catch over 10 inches. We fished the derby on Saturday and while we did catch one that was 14 inches, it weighed just over 8 ounces. We caught fish all the way down to six inches. "

I am new to the forum this is my first post. I was at the tournament too. Nothing we landed that day amounted to much. I just returned today to prove to myself there were better fish in GP. I finished the day with 45 in the boat and 15 in the cooler. That's about three to one by my count. Everything I caught today was fat! Bellies were stuffed full. Nothing over 12" but nice fish. 75-80 feet deep near the island on dodgers w/hoochies. in orange and pink.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rick phone 048.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	7541

Fished Saturday evening from Thistle Creek. I am new to Green Peter having recently moved to the area, but have targeted Kokanee quite a bit at other Oregon lakes. I usually jig, don't have a downrigger on my boat. Had no luck jigging on the points of the arms near the thistle creek launch. Even though I could see what appeared to be Kokanee on the surface.

So is it true that we need to catch and keep all the fish that we hook to get bigger fish next year?

what you would keep wouldn't even put a dent in it, f&g needs to not stock it next year and let the remaining starving ones have a chance at some food so they will grow! if they want to plant something do trout or some oversize trout like they did at merwin. at least they don't compete for there food. I have fished that lake for 20+years and this is the smallest and skinniest fish I can remember and the trend seams like they are getting smaller on average each season. I would rather work at it and catch a few big ones than an easy 25 bait fish. dfly

Sounds like a plan who do we talk to? There has to be some one out here that has a name or number to get the ball rolling.

Default Green Perter

Quote Originally Posted by Lund troller View Post
    Sounds like a plan who do we talk to? There has to be some one out here that has a name or number to get the ball rolling.
    Call the Biologist at 541-759-4186 ext 249

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    what you would keep wouldn't even put a dent in it, f&g needs to not stock it next year and let the remaining starving ones have a chance at some food so they will grow! if they want to plant something do trout or some oversize trout like they did at merwin. at least they don't compete for there food. I have fished that lake for 20+years and this is the smallest and skinniest fish I can remember and the trend seams like they are getting smaller on average each season. I would rather work at it and catch a few big ones than an easy 25 bait fish. dfly
    What has ODFW been doing at GP regarding stocking? One would think there could be enough spawning area in Quartzville Creek and the middle Santiam above the lake. I think ODFW ceased stocking at Odell Lake some years ago...

Coming down fishing for some Kokanee there at Green Peter for the first time and camping for a few days. I'm also thinking about bringing a few on my crawdad traps along to set while I fish. Anyone know of a good area to set them or am I just wasting my time. Hope this good weather holds on.

I don't know about the crawdad population in GP...they're probably everywhere...you might try northeast of the island where it isn't too deep.

Will be going salmon fishing out of Westport WA on tuesday and wednesday next week...then plan to hit Green Peter on friday for kokes.

Went fishing on Saturday Am, caught a few trolling between island and South shore of lake as well as near the dam. Fish were really small, smallest was 7.5". Caught on an orange wedding ring.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast