Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Green Peter Fishing Reports

There is a campground on greenpeter not sure what it is like have never been there.I don't think it has any hookups at all.There is a campground about 5 miles from there which I think has full hookups it is called sunnyside campground it is on Foster res. which does not have koks.Not sure what kind of camper set up you have but that will give you somewhere to start looking up for info.

Scott, there are no hookups but they have water and restrooms. the site I use is 33 or 34 it is long and wide enough you can drop your camper and leave your boat hooked up to the truck so you are ready to go and have room for another pickup if you have some one coming up for the day. you are in the forest not side by side with little or no trees on a pad like the ones at sunny side but they do have hook ups here's my spot 33 to give you a comparison also it is close to the bathrooms .if you want peace and quite this the place the park host enforces it and if they don't comply I have seen where the sheriff has no problem coming and taking the routy ones out. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Linn County operates Sunnyside Campground which is on the upper end of Foster Res on the way to Green Peter (another 5 or 6 miles). There are kokanee in Foster but show up as incidental catch by trout anglers...nobody targets kokanee there, or so the guy at the local tackle store said. The kokanee drop down from Green Peter into Foster. There are other campgrounds on Green Peter but I've never camped there and know little about them.

Thanks alot for the quick info...I may have to tent camp...I usually pull the boat my fifth wheel, but in OR. that is not allowed, according to one website anyway.Looks like a pretty nice campground at Green Peter, will be watching for the reports over the next week.

Thanks Alot Again,
    Scott
    Scott

Lund Pro Sport 1600
    Merc 65

Fished Green Peter today from 6 to 9:30am. I was boat #4 to launch and by the time I took out there were another 25 rigs in the parking lot. Caught two kokanee and four rainbow trout...most on the surface line with a flasher and beaded spinner & corn. Within 5 minutes of starting had a double...simultaneous hits on both downriggers...and lost 'em both. Had quite a few hits and lost several kokanee at the boat. Would have fished longer but had to get back to town for an appt.

Latest victims:
    Last edited by JLPerry; 05-08-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Jl-thanks for the report. Heading to GP on Monday. What boat launch did you use and what area of the lake were you fishing? Not a bad catch for the amount of time you fished.

Quote Originally Posted by bdogdt47 View Post
    Jl-thanks for the report. Heading to GP on Monday. What boat launch did you use and what area of the lake were you fishing? Not a bad catch for the amount of time you fished.
    I put in at the Thistle Creek launch ramp and fished southwest of the island...

Fished GP yesterday. Launched at 6am at Whitcolm. Some wood debris at the launch site but was able to successfully launch. Long lining near the surface and while headed for the island, immediately got into the Kokes. Lost several, but managed to get six. Still pretty small. Five rainbows . At the launch one guy said he had 18 Kokes he primarily caught in one of the arms at 35-65 feet. I was surprised because I did not think they would be hanging out in the arms this early in the year. A beautiful trip with blue skies and dead calm water. New to kokanee fishing, so was glad to catch some.

yes they are in the arms most year round. I launch from whitecomb turn right head to the bridge turn around and setup up the tr-1 and deploy the downriggers while heading out to the main part of the lake and usually have 4 on by the time I get there so I know my choices are good to start with. Greenpeter is a great lake to learn on and sounds like you had a beautiful day to fish. dfly

Greetings, Dragonfly! So, a couple of questions regarding your post. Can you give me a couple of examples of set ups you might use with your downriggers this time of year in the arm of the lake you mentioned? Color, type and color of dodger? Do you ever long line? What depth are they typically hanging at? How varied is the depth in that arm and how easy/hard is it to get your downriggers hung up on the bottom if there are rapid change in depths? How far of a setback? This type of fishing is totally new to me, so I am hungry for any information. Tight lines

bdogdt47, when starting at dark thirty I run my 4 downriggers 1 with a white setup from Gary at fwg, 1 matrix with a white knight from art at kct, on the rear ones then on the front 2 I run green again setups from Gary and art they have different actions and I will adjust from there. then as it gets lighter I will go to gold then as they get deeper I go to silver. as usual the fish will tell you when to change. I will long line if they are shallow but I usually use the downriggers. as far as depth I try to stay below 10' to keep from catching trout and start out at 25', 30', 35', and 40' to see where they are at and if stacking I will add some in between but they will have a shorter set back than the one below it and keep an eye on the fish finder for fish and the depth. as far as set back I usually follow the 100' rule but it mostly depends on the water clarity and what the fish want so I alter accordingly. this time of year the lake is full so it is pretty deep but the bottom can change rapidly so watch your depth and the fishfinder , it should have a depth alarm you can preset so you have time to get your gear up. as far as dragging I use my pointed stick weights and don't have any problem hanging up but try to avoid dragging them as much as possible. this how I fish and my approach, hopefully others will respond with more info to help you out as it applies to most any lake. dfly

I also use white at daybreak or before and then switch to pink as the sun comes up and they stop hitting the white. I have found that GP is usually a pink lake when it comes to color preference, just like orange seems to be the favorite flavor at Wickiup. This past weekend a glow pink sling blade style dodger and a pink hoochie was the ticket at all depths all day after it got light.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Thanks, guys! So, to summarize....white is good early. Then switch to pink. Gold flashers or dodgers nearer the surface, silver better as they move deeper. I am gradually adding to my lure selection as the money tree refills. I do have a small selection of the FWG lures, including the white lightning. Overarching rule is if you are not getting bit, switch rigs after 15 minutes. Dragonfly, who is Art at KCT (web site, etc). Have been scenting my corn with PC garlic and also, anise. Are there better early season scents. May go again Monday, rain or no rain. I think I am addicted.... :-)

Art / Onlychild on this forum owns and operates Kokanee Creek Tackle @ http://shop.kokaneecreektacklecompany.com/ he like Gary hand makes his own stuff I highly recommend the LEAPIN LIZARD patterns in the pink he like Gary came out with some new stuff I am waiting to try, hopefully in a couple of weeks. Art is very knowledgeable and will take the time to get you what you need. dfly

Talked to Art today and he is overnighting me some stuff to try at GP on Monday. Thanks for the tip!

let us know what you got and how it worked out, dfly

In case you are wondering why Green Peter is so slow this week. The Corp of engineers weld back a ton of water. Well maybe several million tons of water and the lake is up into the trees full. the school have scattered unless you know where to find them in a few coves. In a week thing will start to stabilize and they will start schooling back up again. The 27 we caught Thursday were random bites at 25 - 35ft.

I also heard that the reason for holding the water back from Foster for such a long time was because there was a backhoe that rolled into the river below the dam and they where trying to get it out so they had to keep the water level at a certain height to access the backhoe. OOPS!

Nomad, I would say if you caught that many fish in less that ideal conditions, you were doing well! Just received a shipment of hoochies and dodgers from Kokanee Creek and plan to give them a whirl on Tuesday of next week. Appears the weather will cooperate that day. Am thinking of launching at Whitcomb and starting in the Whitcomb arm. Any other suggestions on where to fish? I plan to launch early, so may start out with white and then switch to pink. At least that's my plan and I am sticking to it! :-)

Is the Whitcomb Creek launch ramp/parking lot better than Thistle Creek? I've always used Thistle Cr because its the first one you come to...

it's horrible 1 dirt lane, no parking you guys should just stay down there. . dfly

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    it's horrible 1 dirt lane, no parking you guys should just stay down there. . dfly
    Hmmm....I think I'll check it out tuesday.

Due to a couple of problems I got a late start today...launched at Thistle Creek on GP at about 8:30am. The wind was already blowing and there were whitecaps on the lake. By 9am the wind increased and the lake was getting pretty rough. The wind was strong from the WSW. I ran across to the southside and then trolled back at a 45 degree angle due to the breeze. After an hour and a half I decided I was having too much fun so pulled in my rigs. There was a 10" rainbow in my downrigger line...how long it was on there, I don't know due to the rocking and rolling caused by the wind and waves. Released it and headed for the ramp. Un launched and outta there by 10:20. Went on to Whitcomb Park to check out the launch ramp there. It is somewhat steeper than Thistle Creek and was plugged up with drift logs. Probably wouldn't launch there unless I was camping there. There were no boats out on the lake when I took out...all were up the various arms of the reservoir somewhat shielded from the wind.

Bummer trip. I guess that just goes with fishing. So sorry. Monday the wind came up at about 11, so I got some fishing time in, but would have stayed for at least a couple more hours if there was no wind. I hear you about the log problem. I emailed (respectfully) the Linn County Parks guy that oversees the parks. Got a long email back with various reasons why the issue could not be corrected. I am new to the forum, so this is probably old news for the forum members. Said that the agency that was doing debris removal was no longer doing that. The log booms that were put in helped, but because of the wind direction, he said the launch clogs up daily and they don't have the $$ or manpower to resolve the issue. So I guess we need to keep taking our waders with us if we want to be assured we can launch. The day I launched a lady was leaving in her kayak and hit a sinker and tipped into the water. Lucky she was wearing a wet suit. For myself, I would be willing to pay a small launch fee if they could hire an outside contractor to check it daily and keep up with the debris. (Please don't flame me, just expressing my own thoughts.) Better luck on your next trip, JL.

Got out a little earlier today...launched at 7:10am at Thistle Creek and fished until about 10am. The first 2.5 hours were warm and sunny thru a thin overcast. Caught two 10-11 inch kokanee on the downrigger (kokanee dodger with spinner & corn) at 34' and a rainbow on the surface outfit (released). At about 9:45 the dead calm was replaced by a west wind that gradually increased and by the time I took out at 10:15, light rain began.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast