Page 19 of 84 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Got on the water today about 6:00 a.m., landed 8 before 7:30 then had almost no action for about 3 hours and called it quits. One 17", a couple of 14-15", the rest smaller. The bigger ones are starting to turn redish. Pink hoochie down 25' was the winning combo until 7:30 then I couldn't make anything work.

Has anyone had any luck the last few days?

John

Hey John, was thinking the same thing. We have not been out since we met you on the water, have heard that fishing is pretty slow, would sure like to see some reports. With the weather cool down it should be really nice out there. We might go for a few days pretty soon. We have a lot of Kokanee vacuum sealed, need to get them canned up pretty soon, think I might smoke some tomorrow, have a great orange juice brine that is better than good.

Ken & Barb

[Ken, I just got a call from friends who are camping at Freeman. They fished near the campground for a couple of afternoon hours and put 15 in the cooler. They said they are still in good shape. We are going up tomorrow but we may run up the lake mainly because we have never done it before.

nUOTE=kenbarb;52886]Hey John, was thinking the same thing. We have not been out since we met you on the water, have heard that fishing is pretty slow, would sure like to see some reports. With the weather cool down it should be really nice out there. We might go for a few days pretty soon. We have a lot of Kokanee vacuum sealed, need to get them canned up pretty soon, think I might smoke some tomorrow, have a great orange juice brine that is better than good.

Ken & Barb[/QUOTE]

I went out yesterday and fishing was every slow. Only caught 3. All where still silver. I was using wedding rings in green, red, and red & green colors.

We made a run to Mangus. Fishing was slow but we had never fished there before so we may not have been in the right places. We ran back to Dicks and Canyon. Fishing was slow but steady. We put 25 in the cooler. They were in very good shape. Only 2 trailers in the parking lot. It was a fun day.

John

With all the boats on the lake I am surprised there hasn't been a Lucky Peak report in quite a few days. I guess the fishermen are tighter lipped then the fish. So I guess I will bite and post a report. Got a late start today and didn't get a line in the water until after 8:30 am. My buddy up on our first fish in the first five minutes and the fishing stayed consistent until we left with our limits at just before noon. I love it when the fish are in the same location as they were the last time you were out. More catching and less searching. We released a few of next years fish and several trout. Kept two dinks that we couldn't release because of how they were hooked, eight fish in the 14" range, one around 16", and an absolute football of fish that was just over 17". The 16" and one of the 14" fish were just starting to get light pink fins, but they cut up just fine. We ran four lines at a time at depths of 15', 20', 25', and 35'. The bottom two depths were the most productive, but caught fish at all depths. Pink hoochies and pink/orange homemade spinners behind sling blades were the ticket. With both producing about equally well. Corn on the hoochies and gulp maggots on the spinners. Get out there while the getting is good.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Thanks for the report, Sawtooth. You must be stacking the cables. If so, do you ever get the two tangled when they hit the bottom rig? Mike

We had one small tangle yesterday, but it is normally not too bad. Always put a minimum of 10 ft. between the lines. Heading to Washington in about a half hour to chase some of the kokes big salty brothers. Heard the "Big Migration" they were hoping for has not made it to the Straights yet, but I am still optimist that we will get into a few. Kodiak, I will give you a report when I get back.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Many kokes in boat this am ,left of west boatramp, using Derek's pink hoochies tipped wth shrimp soaked firecor
    n.

New to fishing Kokanee.
    I have a nice boat with a convertible top for shade and downriggers. Also have two lightweight slow action rods and plan to use Hoochies at 20-30 feet deep at 1.5 mph.
    I am guessing that I am on the right track but would very much appreciate any advice concerning fishing or camping at Anderson.
    Is there somewhere to camp that will offer some shade during midday?
    Is there portapottys at any of the campsites?
    I plan to bring the wife and come up Thursday evening and stay untill Saturday. (July 31 - Aug 2)
    What shape are the fish in during early August?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
    Last edited by galaxy51; 07-30-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunddude View Post
    Stephanie is smoking a batch of Kokanee today so her Dad has some to bring back to MN with him.

I'm thinking 3rd year Chinook would be next summer. I would think closer to 6# then 3# also.

I pulled the plug on my Tuna trip to Depoe Bay yesterday. We were scheduled to fish Tuna this Sunday with Dockside Charters but the poor fishing reports forced me to cancel. I'm still on for the 2 day/3 nights Tuna trip on the Ms Magoo out of Westport on 9/3-5. Really looking forward to that trip.
    I'm wondering what is the limit on the Chinook when time comes to keeping ?

6. Resident Chinook are considered in the same category as trout unless they are listed as an exception to the general rules. Mike

Mike are you going after salmon up in Washington this year

Yes. We are heading up the 8th, and will be on the salt by the 10th. Looking forward to it. Mike

fished from 530 am to 10 am. hooked 2 fish and landed 1 trout. Fished from mouth of Mose creek to round the corner from Spring shores.
    fished 15 to 30 feet.

That is pretty good John, have you or any of your friends been out recently. We have been picking Huckleberries, and have been waiting for the weather to cool down a little, as soon as it does we will be off to Freeman Creek for three or four days.

Hello Ken and Barb! I'm afraid my news is a little dated. Our last trip was July 24. We put 53 in the cooler, all caught in Canyon Creek near the floating dock. The downriggers ruled, set at 42 feet. Small flasher with a pink hoochie was the hot set-up but wedding rings caught their share. We haven't been back because of a wedding, a trip to McCall (shake the bush and fill the bucket with huckleberries, what a year!) and the hot weather all of which kept us from returning. I don't know if it is too late for kokanee but we are catching steelhead now so our kokanee season is probably over.

Let us know if you go and get them, all plans can be changed with a good kokanee report!

John and the Brew Crew

fishing is way SLOW!. 2 fish in 3 hrs. 1 drive by. But a ton of fun with my daughter.

Good catch John, makes a busy day when you are catching that many, were you using a flasher like the Slingblade, and how far was the set back from the ball? I'm really glad you were catching them like that, sure beats pulling a string of spinners. I can't believe the Huckleberry crop, we picked a gallon yesterday morning, we now have enough for pancakes, pastries, and jam until next year.

Ken & Barb

We use a slingblade or a similar flasher about 12 inches ahead of the hoochie. The short leader allows the slingblade to give the hoochie its action. We set the hoochie about 20 feet behind the ball although we seem to get hits at all distances back. Many times the wedding rings outfish the hoochies but not that day!

John

I was thinking about going the Anderson Ranch or Cascade next weekend. I would Rather catch more Kokanee but I'm not sure what kind of shape the fish are in at Anderson Ranch right now. Has anyone fished around the middle of August at Anderson Ranch??????

Quote Originally Posted by campdog View Post
    I was thinking about going the Anderson Ranch or Cascade next weekend. I would Rather catch more Kokanee but I'm not sure what kind of shape the fish are in at Anderson Ranch right now. Has anyone fished around the middle of August at Anderson Ranch??????
    I did about 5 years ago . They were about 70+' down & I threw about 1/2 of them back as they were just starting to turn red. Caught one about every 10 minutes tho. Best fishing was b/t Casey ck & dam including some nice rainbows. Hotter then than this year too. I bought some live maggots in M H for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by campdog View Post
    Should still be good. I fished Anderson from 7/30 - 8/3 and only caught 1 fish that was a male 15 1/2" long that had started to turn and had a pretty good hook to his lower jaw. Fishing was pretty slow up on the north end, in fact very few fisherman were even out fishing for kokanee. After 3 days of frustration and only a few fish to show for my efforts, I pulled the plug on the north end and made the run down to the dam. It turns out I should have done that about 3 days earlier as I pretty much started catching fish right away. I fished in 160-170 feet of water @ 40 & 50' down on the DR with hootchies & sling blades with scented shoe peg corn. The orange hootchies & sling blades produced the best results with green a close second. All fish caught down by the dam were 13-14" & bright chrome with no sign of color change. Good luck to you if you decide to go.

Thanks for the report! Hoping to go this Saturday. I also spent 2 days on the north end weekend before last and landed 5 only to have a fellow and his dad come in as we were leaving with thirty plus they caught that afternoon also towards the dam.
    O well nothing like a little humble pie! Thanks again

Page 19 of 84 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast