Page 20 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Quote Originally Posted by mrgene View Post
    I did about 5 years ago . They were about 70+' down & I threw about 1/2 of them back as they were just starting to turn red. Caught one about every 10 minutes tho. Best fishing was b/t Casey ck & dam including some nice rainbows. Hotter then than this year too. I bought some live maggots in M H for bait.
    My neighbor told me that they used to eat the red ones too. I asked him how the meat was, and he said just fine. Still firm since they didn't get beat up like salmon do fighting falls and etc. We are headed up Thursday for 3 days, and it looks like the best bet will be heading for the dam area, since the reports say not much luck on the north end.

I'll second that fact that the blush colored fish still eat okay. And if you smoke and/or can like I do, absolutely no difference in my opinon.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

fished today. 630 am to about 1030. Tried fishing all the way up to Mores Creek. Had 3 quick drive-bys. come to find out they were Perch. landed 1 perch trolling in about 20 feet of water.
    Fished out in the SECERT spots. 1 Nice Koke. Hooked jaw and turning red. :)

Went up sat morning and put in at elk creek at 6:00 am trolled straight across and first fish in the boat at 6:15. Hook ups were steady until around 9:30-10:00 and then it was lights out for about an hr we had several doubles and a triple! It slowed down mid day until about 4:30 we started to pick them up again steadily despite the wind and rec boaters. All were caught at 50-60 ft. Silver sling blades with orange or green hoochies were good. Our best was a pink micro weeding ring w/smiley blade behind a wonder bread sling blade and a pink little devil behind a pink and silver sling blade. White corn w/garlic and anise. All were cookie cutter 10''-12'' bright and in good shape. The 2 of us finished the day with 42 on ice. Lost as many as we landed. Great day! Thanks to Lundedude who's report inspired us to go

bayhorse,

sounds like you and Lunddude have been making a dent in the population, and I'm hoping that the fish you both are catching are next years spawners, if you guys and the bull trout and the chinook keep it up Anderson should be turning out some consistent 16"+ kokanee in the next few years
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Bayhorse would you post some pictures of the setups your describing? Im new to most of this and Im not sure what some of the setups your describing are. Pink micro wedding ring? Wonder bread sling blade? Pink Little devil? I bought a new to me weldcraft jet boat and want to take it out to Anderson on Saturday to get the kokanee skunk off. Ive boated several trout from Warm Lake and Cascade but no Kokanee Thanks. I'd love to get someone that's got a better idea of what there doing to go with me Saturday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	7630
    Try this I haven't had much success at posting pics. I am a bit of a technical dinosaur.

Ericsod the wedding ring is top- next is the little devil-green is a wiggle hoochie.
    I run them 18-24 inches back of the sling blade.
    The crappie tube and small hoochie 8 inches back.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ericsod1981 View Post
    Bayhorse would you post some pictures of the setups your describing? Im new to most of this and Im not sure what some of the setups your describing are. Pink micro wedding ring? Wonder bread sling blade? Pink Little devil? I bought a new to me weldcraft jet boat and want to take it out to Anderson on Saturday to get the kokanee skunk off. Ive boated several trout from Warm Lake and Cascade but no Kokanee Thanks. I'd love to get someone that's got a better idea of what there doing to go with me Saturday.
    ericsod,
    Did the boat come with down-riggers? The koks are pretty deep this time of year, usually 50-70'.
    Good luck.

Thanks Bayhorse
    The boat didn't come with downriggers but I took mine off my old boat and mounted them on the new one. They're Cannon manual downriggers but they work. I had a guy sunday morning trying to sell me two new cannon electric downriggers at the city boat ramp in cascade for $300 which was a steal and also what made me leery of it as well.
    Last edited by ericsod1981; 08-19-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Anyone interested in going to Anderson Saturday morning? I'll drive and provide the boat.

Anyone interested in going to Anderson Saturday morning? I'll drive and provide the boat.

ericsod,
    Sounds like an offer I couldn't refuse normally but, I have other commitment for Saturday. Maybe we can get together next year. I live in Nampa.

Just returned from fishing Anderson 8/18-20. Fishing is still good down by the dam though the fish were a little smaller this trip. Most fish were 11-12" and all next years spawners with small egg sacks already formed. I think we'll see some nice size kokanee in Anderson next year judging by the size they are now. Once again orange hootchies trolled behind orange colored sling blades seemed to be the ticket, with green being a close second. Best fishing was 50' on the DR with plenty of fish marked deeper. The best part of the trip was on Tuesday when I owned the lake (at least it felt that way) I only saw 1 other boat the entire day while fishing down by the dam, "Pure Heaven"!!

Quote Originally Posted by bayhorse View Post
    Went up sat morning and put in at elk creek at 6:00 am trolled straight across and first fish in the boat at 6:15. Hook ups were steady until around 9:30-10:00 and then it was lights out for about an hr we had several doubles and a triple! It slowed down mid day until about 4:30 we started to pick them up again steadily despite the wind and rec boaters. All were caught at 50-60 ft. Silver sling blades with orange or green hoochies were good. Our best was a pink micro weeding ring w/smiley blade behind a wonder bread sling blade and a pink little devil behind a pink and silver sling blade. White corn w/garlic and anise. All were cookie cutter 10''-12'' bright and in good shape. The 2 of us finished the day with 42 on ice. Lost as many as we landed. Great day! Thanks to Lundedude who's report inspired us to go
    Good to hear I inspired someone LOL!!

I played hooky and fished Monday through today it was a great, no boat traffic, almost thought it was September. Plenty of fish to catch that's for sure. I'll be headed back again after Labor Day sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by kok-head View Post
    bayhorse,

sounds like you and Lunddude have been making a dent in the population, and I'm hoping that the fish you both are catching are next years spawners, if you guys and the bull trout and the chinook keep it up Anderson should be turning out some consistent 16"+ kokanee in the next few years
    Those were my exact thoughts today while fishing, 16" kokanee for next year!

Default Saturday

PM sent. Maybe it can work out.

Can't decide if I'm happy or not!! Sort of like the idea of plenty of stunted kokes to feed those Chinook in there! Especially after just returning from Sekiu where they experienced their worst king fishery in memory. They were predicting it might be the best since 1938, but the ocean fish never dipped into the Straits like they usually do. So, Anderson might be my best bet to satisfy my Chinook addiction! Mike

Sorry to hear that Mike. Did you catch any kings at all?

No message received galaxy 51

You can call me galaxy51 @861-5435

Yesterday I fished from Brown's Gulch to the Bowl. Nothing. Not a bite. The water was more turbid than usual for this time of year. Last year in the same area I boated (didn't keep) 22 kokanee over two days, Aug. 20 and 21. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    Yesterday I fished from Brown's Gulch to the Bowl. Nothing. Not a bite. The water was more turbid than usual for this time of year. Last year in the same area I boated (didn't keep) 22 kokanee over two days, Aug. 20 and 21. Thoughts?
    Lots of folks have a tough time convincing kokanee to bite in July and August, maybe the fish just see too many of the same presentations over and over and they are worn out from the last few months, luckily most of the lucky peak kokanee folks don't fish for them in September and October, it will be good fishing this fall when the pleasure boaters store their boats and when the water cools off again
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

I took Ericsod up on his invitation to fish with him and I am glad I did.
    We stacked the dowriggers and boated 26 Koks and 2 Rainbows. Lost 6-8 at the boat because we got cocky and started hoisting them in the boat instead of using the net. White corn with homemade Anise treatment worked well.
    We caught most of the fish from 7until 10, slowing until noon or so with almost nothing after that.

galaxy51 - how deep and what kind of lures/flashers/etc? I threw everything I had at them today at various depths and got zip. Just curious what I am doing wrong. thanks!

We stacked with lower rig at 60' and the upper at 50' until close to noon and then tried varoius depths afer that.
    Most hookups were at 60'.
    4"dodgers or Sling Blades were used about 16" ahead of little hot pink or off white rubber squids with double hooks baited with shoe peg dosed with homemade Anise oil. The shoe peg soaks in Anise oil to get a good saturation of scent.
    Chris, maybe you didn't do anything wrong, we may have just been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.
    I have read that all colors are gone at about 40', so maybe color isn't that important when fishing deep.
    Good luck Chris.

Page 20 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast