Thread: 2013 Ririe Res. Fishing Thread

Thumbs up 2013 Ririe Res. Fishing Thread

Ice out is happening at Ririe! There is open water now and we should be fishing within a week.

Hope there are some Kokes left out there!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Lets see, uncover the boat, get new batt., fishing lic., corn, gas. I should be ready within the week

Quote Originally Posted by MMDON View Post
    Ice out is happening at Ririe! There is open water now and we should be fishing within a week.

Hope there are some Kokes left out there!
    Should be perfect timing!

You guys have fun. I look forward to your reports. i am going to avoid the lake until May. I am going to do some submarine hunting down south for a month first.

Was able to get 4 kokes to the boat,never graphed any schooled fish, The osprey are having a hayday.No color or pattern seemed to be the best and the bite was slow and sporadic.

Went to Blacktail for a look.Attachment 6268Attachment 6269

Never went more than 1/2 mile from the launch. Caught 2 limits between 15-16 inches. Some very nice healthy fish and real fighters. Not to many schools as the fish, that is the larger fish, are spread out. Surface water temp 60 & 1/2 degrees. Big fish caught at 25-30 ft. depth. Most fish caught on RMT dodgers and rainbow glow in the dark Hoochie's. Speed 1.4 to 1.7 most effective.

Thanks for the report! Glad to hear you're catching some nice ones!

Another 2 limits today. No change in depth, speed and colors. The fish were extremely active from 8 AM on until we had limits. We went exploring and found small schools, large schools, and single fish in lots of locations. Still only catching 3 year fish that are 14.5 to 16 inch in length. The fish were very active leaping out of the water over and over. Lots of fun.

Glad you're out after them. We are doing a lot of hooking this year but it's with our new towing company All Safe Towing. Pulling on things that weigh in at 3,500 lbs or better has been a real rush! Hope to be on the water a bit later in the year!

So fellas I'm over in Alpine and thinking about making a trip over. Only been once and launched at what I'm guessing is the "main" ramp? (near the dam) but I remember finding another ramp while cruising around.. Do you guys have a preference on ramps and do both have a fee? Which will put you into the best fishing fastest? I remember "The Narrows" area being great (for kokanee) but a little tough to fish once the power squadron shows up.. Any other areas I should be trying?

Also I've heard rumors about big Splake in there? Has anyone ever targeted them? How and whereish?

Also I've heard unconfirmed rumors of Walleye?

Thanks for any info and good fishing!

Splake is news to me, but maybe MMDON knows. Walleye, yes. Game department has been netting in the spring to try and keep them under control. Rumors of 20-24 inchers in Ririe. Walleye are on the upper end. 20-25 min run from the dam in a faster fishing boat. Slow down in the S curves and live to fish another day.

You can Launch at Blacktail, which is east of I.f. Easy to see on the map. Kokanee and trout the full length of the reserviour except on the very north end. Have to look for them on the fish finder to find schools.

Species in the reservior are Brown, Rainbow ( triploid) and Cutthroat trout; small mouth bass, Walleye and Kokanee. Fee at both ends to launch. Nice ramps at blacktail. $5.00 there. Annual $60.00

Happy Fishing

Record splake in Idaho caught on ririe, cant remember 12-16 lbs they put some in just a wild guess 10 years ago, not a lot of them and they was sterile. so there may be a couple left. I caught a dozen or more back then in the 12inch range. Havent in years. And never seen or caught a "walleye". I don't fish it as much as I use to in the summer. Still love the ice fishing koke fever I call it. Might get up there and try some when my hot spots slow down. The cutthroat are like small snakes and on the way out so back to the rainbows which gets fatter and better. So far nothing above the 1lb or so fish. Its the speed boaters ect the kids with daddys boats and the stupid people that don't fish and understand makes ririe the joke of conversation. I would like to take a 44 and leave some boats floating with there outdrives busted. They need hours of pleasure boating and hours of fishing only with out wakes. Maybe a bigger boat than my small bayliner. have fun.

I am visiting my family over the long weekend 4th of July and the kids want to try Ririe for some kokanee. I have fished for them at Stampede and Donner in CA and would appreciated any advice, ideas or recommendations for terminal gear, areas to fish, depth etc. Thanks in advance.

pink or orange small squids behind a dodger of pink or silver,something with some flash or pop gear, havnt been over in a couple of weekks but caught them between 25 and 35 feet of depth. caught them just about the full length of the pond. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wyosledder View Post
    pink or orange small squids behind a dodger of pink or silver,something with some flash or pop gear, havnt been over in a couple of weekks but caught them between 25 and 35 feet of depth. caught them just about the full length of the pond. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

Fished 7/5 and 7/6 started about 0630 and done by 1130 with three limits on 7/5 and four limits on 7/6 (different anglers each day). Speed was 1.5 to 2.0 and color was pink. Apex hot shot was best followed by pink Koke a nut and then pink hoochie. Pink glow RGT only caught trout but a couple of nice rainbows about 17 inches. Kokes were 12 to 18 inches and fat, meat was perfect. Used both watermelon and sliver UV slingblade for Apexes and brass/yellow Vances Dodger for the hoochies and Koke a nut. Depth was 30-45, water temp at 71. Fished around the floating dock with the outhouse. Used pink and red fire corn. Yellow Gulp corn worked early in the AM for an hour or two and then they stopped biting. Kokanee special and bloody tuna scent helped. Corn and scent were key. If we did not have a hit for 10 minutes, a gear check often revealed no corn and lack of gel. Thanks for the tips, we had a great time and enjoyed some delicious kokanee fillets.