Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Anderson Ranch Fishing Thread

Thumbs up 2013 Anderson Ranch Fishing Thread

Anyone fishing kokanee at Anderson Ranch?

Does anyone know what the water levels are at anderson, debating on hittin it up tomorrow if the water is decent level. If not gonna hit strike for perch

According to this gov. site, http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/ramp.../anderson.html the lake is 41 feet from full. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 04-02-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Went out there, the launch at elk creek is good to use, though the dock is high and dry. Fished by the dam and twords evans creek. Saw big schools down deep, usually around 70-90' down. Saw quite a few at 150' down. Very few less than 40' down. Tried various depths and set ups, not even a bite. Water temp was in the low to mid 40's depending on the area you were at. No other boats that I saw. Went scouting as well and didn't se anything anywhere... If anyone else is having any luck out there let me know. I prefer to fish Anderson

Has anyone been up lately?
    I'd like to catch some koke but wanting to avoid some of the congestion at LP?ARock.

I would say early.
    Last edited by JTM; 05-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Oh yeah, way early.

I normally don't try Anderson until at least mid to late May depending on how quickly the weather warms up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3668.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	6209Fished Anderson on 5/4/13. The day could have been much better with rain off and on all day. We ended up boating 32 after 6 hours of fishing. Fishing in the morning was moderate then turned hot about 2:00 and was good until we pulled off the water at 4:00. We fished hoochies, wedding rings and kokabow lures and found that the pink kokabow was the hot lure of the day.

Now let's talk fish.....SMALL!!! 9 - 10 inchers. We fished near the Curlew Creek launch, so maybe they are larger by the dam. We did end the day with a nice 24" +/- bull that was a nice surprise.

elkbowhntr, Glad to hear that the fish are starting to move up at Anderson. Those bull trout can get big. Just remember that as a protected fish they are not supposed to be taken out of the water at any time and released as soon as possible. Thirty-two kokes in one day, time to crank up the smoker.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

elkbowhntr,
    How was the air temp up there? Usually still pretty cold I think. Are the boat launch docks in place yet? Nice haul of fish though even if small. Thanks for the report!

Temp was mid 60's on Saturday and when the sun came out it was very enjoyable. Docks are in place, but it appears that only about 8' of concrete remains from the water line to gravel and only 1 full dock is floating.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bull sawtooth. We did out best to remove the lure, grab a fast pic and release.

too early.. oh yah.. way early....
    Blah blah blah... I should have went to Anderson like my instincts were telling me. :-)
    CJ was a trainwreck.
    Glad to hear things are happening at Anderson.

Not good to hear about those small kokes. I had the same experience last year fishing Anderson, plenty of fish but way smaller then previous years.

Hit Anderson this morning. Water level is VERY low. Not sure I've seen it this low before. Got a late start and we were on the water by 8:30. Fished until 3:00 and only boated 16 fish. We lost probably 10 - 12 fish. As indicated by previous posters the fish are very small. Hope something improves and these little guys start growing. All in all a great day because it was Monday and we were on the water and it was our first koke trip of the year. Fish were biting mostly on double wammys and yellow/orange assassin spinners. Most fish were between 15 - 25 feet. Fished between Lime Creek and resort on far side of shore.

Sounds like a repeat of last year.

Just fished Anderson the last 2 days & never boated anything over 9 inches. It's WAY worse then last year @ this time.

Dang thats bad news, I like to spend like 3 day's here to fill up the freezer. Sounds like that is not in the cards again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JTM View Post
    Dang thats bad news, I like to spend like 3 day's here to fill up the freezer. Sounds like that is not in the cards again this year.
    Yea, I was so bummed I only bass fished today. All the other people I spoke with on the water over the last 3 days were having the same luck or worse. Some reported only catching 6-7 inch kokes. The word must be out because there were very few boats trolling for kokanee today @ Anderson. I even went down past Fall Creek on Saturday & trolled but still only caught dinks. The fish I did catch came at 30-40 foot depth with the 40 foot mark producing the most consistently. In 2 days of trolling for kokanee I never brought a fish home, not sure if I'll go back this year or not. I know one of the fish biologist personally in the Jerome office & I plan on calling him this week to see if he can shed some light on what's going on at Anderson. I'll report back what I find out & post it on this forum. With the price of fuel these days it's not worth spending the $$$ to go to Anderson.

I'd be very interested to hear what the biologist says. From past experience I know an over population can cause small fish because of a lack of food. Not sure if that is whats going on here though. Did water levels come up any?

Quote Originally Posted by redmanjr1 View Post
    I'd be very interested to hear what the biologist says. From past experience I know an over population can cause small fish because of a lack of food. Not sure if that is whats going on here though. Did water levels come up any?
    Water level is about 20' down from full pool, probably the lowest I've seen it for this time of year. The dock is in @ Curlew, you can also launch @ Pine & Deer Creek.

Well I got a chance to speak with my friend Scott Stanton whose a fish biologist with F&G for the Magic Valley region. According to Scott the problem with the size of the kokanee @ Anderson is due to over population.

Idaho F&G has not run the fish weir @ Anderson since 2009 & will not be running it again until 2014 due to cost. Scott claims it cost F&G about $20K a year to run the weir @ Anderson. When F&G did the fish counts last year in August 2013 they estimated the kokanee population then @ 4 million. Yes folks, those giant 8-9 inchers you are now catching are this years spawners sad to say.

Scott also confirmed what I already knew & that is the decrease in fish size started showing up last year & from the sound of it will only get worse for 2014. If we want to catch kokanee @ Anderson the size of the kokanee in Arrowrock & Lucky Peak then we need F&G to manage it better. We as fisherman need to decide do we want to go out & catch 25 7-9 inch fish, or 6 17-19 inch fish. I know I would rather spend my time & $$$ fishing for better Quality fish then Quantity. So PLEASE, anyone fishing Anderson this year "DO NOT" throw back any of those 8-9 inch kokanee, take as many as you can home with out exceeding your limit (25) or possession limit (50) per licensed angler.

Scott welcomes any input such as fishing reports from anyone fishing for kokanee @ Anderson this year. Scott can be reached @ (208) 324-4359
    Last edited by Lunddude; 06-03-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks for the update Lunddude. I was afraid that over population was the culprit. Reminds me of Dworshak years ago. I agree that we need to keep our legal catches but problem is that it won't make a dent in the population unless the lake is over populated with fishermen (and fisherwomen). I'll keep going and catch as many as I can...small ones taste as good as the bigger ones. Tight lines.

I would suspect that this years water situation will HUGELY affect the kokanee at Anderson Ranch. By the end of the year that lake will be very low, and there will be a lot less foor for the kokes. In a couple of years the size should be way bigger, if we ever get enough water to fill the lake again..
    Last edited by sawtooth; 06-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Very true but the bottom line is we NEED F&G to manage the kokanee @ Anderson if we want a better quality fishery for kokanee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast