Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JTM View Post
    I'm going to hit it Friday Morning for the first time this year, I'll put up a report on how I do.....
    Fishing was great, catching not so much. Caught 1 seen allot on the graph but they had lock jaw, seen a guy launch his boat before he got to the water.

Well to bad the catching wasn't better ! I watched a guy bounce his Hewes craft down the boat ramp in the Clearwater this year. It was sad the dent in the stern and the bottom of his boat. He totally un-hooked the boat from the trailer and the carpeted bunks where ice from his last launch. Slid right off 40 feet before he got to the water.

Interesting. I was just sharing JTM's post with my wife, and saying he had to have had a roller style trailer. Don't know if I would have ever thought about ice on the bunks. I have always said that if i just filmed one of the Lucky Peak ramps for a day or so, I would have more than enough material for a hilarious short film. Not that the Hewescraft incident was funny. That was just sad, but much that goes on at the ramp is funny for sure.

It was a bunk type trailer, I think it was a Smokercraft. Nice boat (well it was) I think he hit the brakes as he was coming down the ramp, any how it hit the concrete. I was on my way to help but they winched it back on the trailer. There are still propeller parts on the ramp. I have also seen a very nice brand new Bayliner hit the deck off a roller trailer, it was not good for that boat.

When I bought my boat, I hadn't given much thought to the roller style although that's what I had just purchased...the very first time to the lake I went to Lowell since it was nearby...all the boats I've ever had were bunk style and I could just unhook them and roll on back...so as I did the same method and was heading down the ramp the boat started to fly back about 20 feet from the water...luckily I had the quick thinking response to hammer on the gas and not the brake...LOL it was an ugly launch to say the least but after the water settled from the huge splash, I had managed to keep her off the ramp...hehehe...I have never made that mistake since...lucky for me it wasn't a costly lesson...

Every time I see a roller trailer I think about that. Boats on roller trailers also seem, in my experience, to take much longer to load and unload than bunk style trailers, but that may have to do who is involved as well. The circus at Turner was in full display yesterday. We did catch a few, one nice one that we actually measured at just over 17"- nicest kok I have caught for a while. Most were 12-14 and few "next year's fish". We had four rods out - pink, orange, white. Hooked all on pink.

Fished from 8 until 1 today. Hooked 9, landed 3. I need to work on multiple hookup and netting technique. All fish approx 15 inches. The rain kept the circus at Turner to a minimum.

anyone catching anything lately? I'm probably gonna head up Sunday and I'm wondering where I should try, is that silly center dock still in at turner or are the side docks in yet? and anyone know if there is a dock in at spring shores?
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Got the same question... "anyone catching anything lately?" We fished for trout from the bank about 10 days ago (before the winds) and caught a few rainbows, but didn't see anyone that was trolling for Kokes "knocking them dead". This was down at the dam. It was fun watching the Turner ramp from a distance though. Man some folks are really into themselves and have no respect for others.

For me
    the fishing for Kokes is slow at LP for now, Last Friday 4 on landed 1 16" nice fish landed 2 bows both went back. All at 20 - 30 ft marking big pods of fish but there not hitting.

I fished yesterday for about an hour and a half before the wind got too bad. I saw only two fish on the locator between the dam and pipeline gulch. Turner still has the short center dock. The other docks are not in the water yet.

Here is some insperation, I just pulled these 2012 LP Kokes out of the smoker. Note this is 3 fillets those were some big fish last year...

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...M_62/photo.jpg

Not too many things better than Smoked Koke! Looking forward to this year's catch.
    Last edited by conservationist; 04-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Headed to LP on Friday. Any suggestions of where to start? Spring Shores or Turner at dam? Read a bit of info from Arrow Rock and suggestion was to fish shallow... 10 feet or less as water is warmest up top and Koke's like approx. 53 degrees. Any suggestions welcome. I need to get the inside info cause every trip last year my wife kicked my A$$ fishing for Koke's! I'm prepared to tell her the fish are DEEP!

I would love to help but the last 2 times I have been there I got my butt handed to me. All I can offer is I marked most of the big schools closer to Spring Shores and nothing nor any hit's by the dam. I am heading out Friday to but I am going to brave the crappy road and hit Arrowrock.

Thanks JTM .... I hate that road.... always have to pick up parts of my boat trailer!

Launched about 130 a Spring shores, idle out and drop the gear, hooked first fish about 10 minutes later. not a bad start.
    dr's at 29 and 19, running 4 inch dodgers with orange hoochies on one side of the boat, and Sling blades with orange/white hoochies on other side of the boat.
    Had fun today, hooked, fought and seen over 20 fish---- only landed 10. . hooked fish on every rod. Fish disappeared at about 5. left the rest of the fish to fight another day. Probably seen alot of you guys up there today, holy smokes does anyone work on Friday's anymore. LOL.
    It was a fun day.

Made it up to LP today. Launched around 10 am and wife hooked 2 and landed one and I hooked and landed one in the first 45 minutes. Then things slowed down a bit for us until around 2 pm. Hooked 4 more and landed two, decided it was time to head home. Fished right off the main ramp and every fish was hooked directly in line with the ramp????? Started at 10 am fishing 10-15 down. A 6 inch dodger with a small hoochie with it's own blade in green with white spots and a 3 inch green worked best. Later fish down at 30 ft. Again, green was the color.

thanks for posting reports DRM and conservationist, any size to the fish you landed?

kok-head
    all the fish were in the 15 to 17 inch range. not a bad size for LP this early, in my opinion.

Conservationist,
    You were using green, Bright green, Light green, ??? I do not seem to have any luck using green. No confidence in the color i guess.
    Last edited by DRM; 04-27-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: member ?

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    kok-head
    all the fish were in the 15 to 17 inch range. not a bad size for LP this early, in my opinion.

Conservationist,
    You were using green, Bright green, Light green, ??? I do not seem to have any luck using green. No confidence in the color i guess.
    That’s awesome, those are great sized fish for LP for April, spring shores is always a popular spot, sounds like it’ll be a “bumper boats” course up there pretty soon

my boat has a blue bimini top and a big ugly faded-grey mariner 150hp on the back, I’ll be up there tonight and tomorrow night fishing for a few hrs, if anyone sees me feel free to motor over and I’ll let you know if I’m catching or just fishing

DRM -- Wife's green lure was a "Wiggle Hoochie". Darned expensive little lure at $4.99 for a piece of rubber. It is sort of a light green with dark blue "splotches" on it as best I can describe. They have a little plastic lip up front and have tons of action. My one fish was on a bright green hoochie about 2.5inches long. It was not the right green or size apparently as she hooked many more fish. But BRIGHT orange and pick didn't do it either. Did see others using pick and catching though. Sometimes you just have bad luck.

AS TO SIZE, we hooked a dink of 10 inches who I'm afraid came home with us as he decided to engulf the hook and despite all efforts, kept doing a belly float. Others were right around 14-15 inches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0801.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	6171

Bob
    Last edited by conservationist; 04-27-2013 at 06:27 PM.

I started at about 8:30 this morning. Boats were so thick around Spring Shores you could have almost walked between them (at least it seemed that way). I trolled towards the dam and got to the Bowl Recreation Area with a grand total of one trout. I decided to try Spring Shores again hoping some had left. By about 2 many of the boats had either given up or were trying elsewhere. I ended up with five nice kokanee all about 15 inches fishing a troll at 20 to 25 feet. I gave up about 4:30 and had to wait in line to get off the water. A busy place, but most of the boaters were reasonably courteous. A good day on the water for April.

Thanks for posting conservationist and Physion, I was up at spring shores for about 2 hrs on the evening of 4/27/13, I put in as most boats were taking out, my father in law and I both voted for fishing and the three other female family members in the boat voted boat ride, I've never fished for kokanee in lucky peak after 4pm before and I've also never fished up by arrow rock dam, in 30 min of fishing I hooked one fish and lost it, I only had 2 rods in the water and I left my corn at home and on the way home my trailer decided to throw a bearing buddy wheel bearing cover, it was a fun time on the water but pretty much the opposite of usual and ideal fishing for me
    Last edited by kok-head; 04-28-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Put in on the evening of 4/28/13 at spring shores and fished for about 60min, hooked 4 and lost 2, the ones that made it to the boat were small and not worth keeping, hooked the fish on a pink 2.5" squid, a small rainbow trout pattern spoon and a green 1.5" crappie tube all running behind small sling blades, fished were hooked right across from the ramp, watched someone in a red four winns boat land what looked to be like 2 good size fish

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast