Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Arrowrock Fishing Thread

I was up at AR today.Began around 10 am and within 15 min had two big Kokes on board. Within 4 hrs I had limited out using a sling blade and pink squid. Shrimp was the scent of the day. Stayed at 2 colors out all day and a speed between 1.6 - 2.0. My husband took a bit longer to limit out, however he caught the biggest Koke of the day . Measured about 18 ", nice and fat. Again he was only 2 colors out and using the same sling blade and pink squid. It was a perfect day except the dang wind. Thought it would blow us into the next county. Great day of fishing.

Fished AR this morning for 4 hours. Couldn't believe how many boats and shore fishermen for a Monday. Never thought I'd be saying this, but LP was peaceful with very few boats. We picked up our two limits, thanks to Cricket's advice. Thanks, Cricket. It would slow down, and we'd drop the dr's and get into them again. When we pulled out we were connecting at 26'. Beautiful day, and beautiful kokes up to 18". Mike

Hey Jimbojunp, ok well the gentleman I spoke with said he was with BLM... he did not say where (what state) , I assumed Idaho.. he never mentioned the Bull trout but was aware that there was some grumbling concerning the Pike Minnow population. About the wash boards I agree to a point. I find it interesting that the major ones are on the uphill side. Even though I mentioned speed and I have seen some speed concerns, I think when people accelerate up a grade the tires/suspension begin to do their thing and it creates ruts. Even at slower speeds while accelerating uphill you get that chatter. then it does not matter what speed you are travelling accept for maybe 1 or 2mph.. you are going to accentuate the ruts...
    Sounds like there will be some pigs on arrow rock this year. My best to date is 19.5".. I think we are going to see a few 20"... woohoooo.... I'm in an old basstracker (low line) that I just put a few bucks in (26yrs old) ... say hi if we are up there together, I'd like to shake your paw.... tight lines... Wed forecast is going the wrong direction... so the am is looking gooooooood!!!!
    "No Scents, makes No Sense"

Bites all day with a pink slingblade, pink kokabow, 1 1/4 oz sinker,corn. Lost them all except 2 hogs. Soo much fun. very yummy.

Thanks for the info Nepetbutler, out of curiosity, are you using Sickle hooks??? Wow, and 1 1/4 sinker... (on Mono???) If you are not using Sickle hooks, you might want to try them. For me, my strike to land ratio went way up.. 5 for 5 or even 6 for 6 is not unusual.. I like these hooks as it has raised my catch rate significantly. Personally, I use the 4 on top and 6 on the bottom. add to which , many many many many times, i find on a miss hook, that they are killing my upper hook and not the trlr. I used to think the fish hit my bait , DIRECTLY FROM BEHIND,,, why is it then , that on a take down/miss my upper hook is stripped while the trlr hook is seemingly untouched...
    Any info would be appreciated.. I would like to know what you guys are experiencing and what specific hooks you are using.. for me the sickle hook has been more productive... I am interested in what you guys are seeing...
    Being that Kokanee for the most part feed on Zooplankton/zytoplankton/and Mysis shrimp, why
    are they tearing our "offerings" to literally pieces??? WHY??? Are they protecting their future? Are they beefing up for the spawn?? I have a good supply of pink and red hootchies... for a reason ....do they resemble Mysis shrimP??? Also the color in the water.. If RED becomes ranslucent or a dark color at 35 -30 feet is that what they resemble???
    Feel free to chime in here.. I'm very interested in continuing my pursuit and overall knowledge of this species... good luck to all.... end rant :)

Hey Rafting...the reason the bad washboard is on the uphill runs...is because the heavy trucks and boats mostly go really slow because they don't want to throw rocks up on their boats and make a dust cloud...when they drag heavy loads uphill, it makes the drive wheels lose and gain traction back and forth...limited slip differentials do that...transfers power to one side or the other but never both at the same time...unless one has positraction...then both rear wheels are driving it...so going faster would help but then of course you risk killing someone or running off the road..LOL...I will take the washboard over death every time...hahaha.

From what I understand, Kokes don't attack our lures for the purposes of feeding per say...its a territorial, or maybe...you're in my personal space defensive attack...as for why the front hook gets nailed most, is that most attacks are designed to disable a baitfish by knocking him silly...they hit the head 9 out of ten times in the hopes of disabling the victim for either consumption or just to make it go away...I have a 5" topwater lure I love to use for bass...the front hook is a good 4" from the back hook and maybe one fish out of 30 is only hooked on the rear hook...I definitely have a lot more confidence in the tandem hook set up...especially on kokes since they have a verrrry soft mouth...so two hooks is always better than one. I use circle or octopus hooks also because they seem to hold the fish on way better than other styles..I have used sickle hooks as well and they work pretty well too.

I will look for you next time I head up there...my boat is gone now...I traded it for a Giant Ford F-250...my buddy recently got a 97 Hewes craft Jet given to him and we should have it ready for kokes by this weekend...hopefully anyway...hope to see you up there sometime...

Has anyone used a mini down rigger? I have a 14 ft smoker craft and would like to use one but have no idea which kind to get.

I would shy away from the mini downrigger and get a Cannon Easi Troll Manual downrigger. It is full size, but worked great on my thirteen foot Gregor aluminum boat. Easy to use and the two foot boom helped keep the cable out of the prop. You can buy a clip-on mount if you don't have a place to permanently mount the rigger on your boat or are looking at the mini because of it's clip on mount.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

I am looking at the mini because of the clip on mount. We are not sure where to put it. So I can get a clip on mount for the Cannon Easi troll? Sawtooth, can I ask where you purchased the Easi troll?

Cricket, I bought my downrigger from a friend, but I just looked at the Cabelas site and they have both the Easi Troll and the clip on mount for sale. The mount works great, but if you google "downrigger mounts for small boats" you will see several creative ideas for mounting a downrigger on a small single wall boat.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 05-22-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Has anyone used a mini down rigger? I have a 14 ft smoker craft and would like to use one but have no idea which kind to get.
    Cricket, i have a 14 ft single wall aluminum and have been using the Walker Mini Laker down riggers for 3 years now and they have worked perfectly. I chose them becaue they are all metal/fiberglass construction so no plastic parts to break. I simply put a 1/2" thick block of plywood on the inside and outside of my boat and clamp onto that. If you read the read the reviews online they are far better than any other small clamp on down rigger. Good luck!

Hi fellas, forum newbie here. I posted a little last summer just after moving here (Boise) from South Dakota last May.

I'm not a trout/salmon fisherman by any stretch. I mainly fish walleys and bass. I'd really like to hit up Arrowrock or LP this week to try to catch my first Kokes. I don't have downriggers, but I do have linecounter/leadcore rods set up for walleyes.

If anyone has any advice/tips/locations to share, pm me. I hope to return the favor once I get the hang of it. Any insight would be more than appreciated.

Lastly, did anyone fish today with the cold front? If so, did it affect the fishing?

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Using regular hooks. Will try sickle hooks on Tuesday.

sdhuntandfish, try using a pink squid, dodger and scented corn. I caught my limit last weekend .

Good luck and have fun

Cricket

Using 10# green trilene. In the am I use 5/8 trolling sinker then put the 1 1/4 sinker about noon.

Sickle hooks/J hooks are not a panacea... I will attest to the fact that i land more fish than i used to by using them. I use a lot of different hooks, but I have found that Sickle hooks have increased my strike to land ratio.....
    Welcome sdhuntandish....
    I'm not a trout/salmon fisherman by any stretch. I mainly fish walleys and bass. I'd really like to hit up Arrowrock or LP this week to try to catch my first Kokes. I don't have downriggers, but I do have linecounter/leadcore rods set up for walleyes.
    I would be interested in your Walleye pursuit here in Idaho... Please PM me with any info you may have...

A/R was on again today... Trolls out did sling blades for me again... (I hate that) I love to catch these pigs with 6lb test on sling blades... one nice thing is when the fish are this big, even LL gives the sensation of a good fight.
    Slingblade/Pinkhootchie was ok.. Lake trolls seemed to out do them with either Kok-A-bow or the usual "Mack's" silver/red wedding ring... I have had two Kok-A bow's lose the trlr hook on attempting to land fish. Not sure what the issue is... It's not a drag setting... I love watching these guys fight right until the end..... Several Gulls left the lake well fed :).. Jt
    JIMBOJUMP, for your edification :).. it's only one other opinion... According to Tom Pettigrew, a Forest Service engineer, the cause is an unlikely source: your car's suspension. (Well, maybe not yours specifically, but it's not innocent in this matter, either.) A vehicle's suspension system distributes the shock and energy of road irregularities with a bouncing rhythm called harmonic oscillation. At each downstroke, the wheels exert extra force on the road, causing the particles in the road to either pack or displace at regular intervals. Once a pattern of ruts starts to establish itself, it becomes self-reinforcing due to what engineers call forced oscillation. The next car hits the same irregularities in the road and bounces at the same rate, causing the pattern to become more and more defined. Forced oscillation overcomes minor variations in oscillation rate that might otherwise arise due to differences in car weight.

Wouldn't variations in speed affect the washboard pattern? Sure, which brings us to another critical part of the feedback loop: you, the driver. Drive too fast on a washboard road and the downstroke exerted by the car wheels may meet the road at a point where a bump is ramping upwards. You know what that means: You bounce off the ceiling. Instinctively most drivers slow to a speed at which the downstrokes coincide with the troughs between bumps, reinforcing the pattern.

Washboarding is inevitable in any unpaved road that sees fairly heavy traffic. The only way to avoid it is to: (a) radically redesign how automotive suspensions are made, (b) give up suspensions altogether, or (c) keep off those dirt roads.
    Sources: http://www.straightdo either way speed becomes a factor.. physics wins every time.... IMHO, when they graded the road they were unable to cut it deep enough to get rid of the ruts to begin with... however; that road is waaaaaaaayyy better than it was before and it has lasted longer than I thought it would... LP is bound to come on strong like years past... :0 Good luck to all,, Jt

Well spoken my friend...I like that phrase...LOL..."forced Oscillation" this is the most in depth study of washboard roads I've ever been involved in. while I have your attention though...allow me to veer of the topic and as everyone's opinion on what the item in the pic is...My aunt in NY is an antique dealer and received this yesterday asking what it is exactly...this forums guesses may be found to be intriguing.Attachment 6281

Well, made it out this AM. Fished 9am-noon.

Actually think I did pretty well, given the fact I've never fished for kokanee before. If I wouldnt have forgot my landing net in the garage this morning, I would have had my limit. I ended up keeping 2 kokes, one 18.5" and one 17.5". I lost the rest of my limit plus a few within 10 feet of the boat. Such is fishing I guess. Lots of short strikes and plenty of squawfish too.

I ran 2 lead core rods, one with a sling blade/pink hootchie, and the other with a multi-blade troll/pink wedding ring. Both caught fish equally well. I tipped both with shoepeg corn soaked overnight in scent. I was seeing most fish down 30+ ft down.

Here is a pic of the 2 I kept. They were footballs, I could barely get my hand around them to unhook. I think they'll be just fine on my grill with a cayanne pepper/honey glaze.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
    Andy

Congrats on a great day Andy. Getting Kokes in the boat without a net is quite a feat. You only need to leave the net home once and you realize how important it can be, especially with kokanee. Were there a lot of other boats on the lake? It should be quite a circus up there the next few days.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

It was manageable when I got there at 9. When I loaded up at noon, the ramp was pretty much full. Most people seemed courteous although some need practice backing a trailer in.

Sdhuntandfish----- nice fish and without a net ---yeah thats good. Wish we had fish that size up here !

Rafting4fun...what color Kokabow were you using

I stuffed the landing net handle wth closed cell foam so it floats.

Finally had the perfect day on AR. launched at 6pm and limited at 8:15. 24 feet deep and pink, 1.4 mph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1392.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	6286  
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

Way to go, DRM. That is "gettin' busy" kokanee style!! Mike

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast