Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Arrowrock Fishing Thread

I think you nailed it. It is precisely for accuracy. I ck it against my fishfinder to target right where I like to be. Early last year while placing my line in the release, Mr. Koke decided to yank the line out of my hand. (X2) Now that's fun. I would set my depth for either 3' or 5' and had a lot of fun... years ago on LP, I had a side finder transducer that was telling me I was surrounded by fish. I brought up my line depth and it was game on. I decided to stand on top of my motor, and with a good pair of uv glasses I could see i was surrounded by Kokanee. (sounds like a fish story huh,? :) ) They could have cared less about my motor. I'ts common to see Kokanee hitting the surface in large schools, especially on LP. I have not seen that as much at AR.
    I did hear a guy say he had one at and was down at 30'.. another at 40.. I also noticed the fish were not as big. I did see a few schools in the 30-37' range. I do not try for those until we get an established thermocline. That 55deg water is always good it seems. However, this time of year and I am measuring the first foot of water, (low draft and tranducer placement) I could only find 48.5 deg water yesterday on AR. Not sure why my photos refuse to attach. They used to??? Oh well, so much for sharing my spoils.. .. Good luck to you, Jt I like to avoid using D/R's however, when I do, then I Shuttle Hawk it all the way... wooohoooo...

I still emphasize knowing the habits of the fish you are after...Kokes eat zooplankton...not minnows and such primarily...so they congregate where the main biomass of their food is...so we have to deduce from the conditions of the lake where they will likely be concentrated...not to say you won't occasionally tag one down deep...but for an awesome fishing day I'm not looking for stragglers....As Rafting mentioned...an established thermocline is what you want...however this early in the year there is too much water flowing thru and out of AR to let one happen...once they slow the water down you'll see one develop....then its a matter of figuring out where the thermocline and 52 degrees intersect...could be deep could be not so deep...if you notice on your sonar...the thermocline changes depth as you approach the shore....it may be at 35 feet 50 yards from shore but as you get closer to the shore the thermocline comes up...so if you can guess where the two intersect...and pound that depth...you'll load the boat...make sense? Last year was funny because we were trolling all over the place and fishing was really slow...we came out from the bank and couldn't get a bite to save ourselves...but strangely when we crawled out to water that was 100' deep...it was on! Why 100' I have no idea since we were only fishing 20 ' down...Kokes can definitely be quirky...you have to change things up a lot to find what they want at any given moment...colors, dodgers, depth, speed, and sometimes even direction...I've had times when they would only hit going south...turn around and come back thru the same spot...nothing...head south again and bam...anyway...good luck everybody!

It is funny sometimes, on where kokes are. Up here in Dworshak I catch more fish in the 22 to 36 ft range, but they always bite better when the botton is 125 ft deep. So I always target fish hanging in water with a bottom of 125 ft deep.
    Kokes here always hit better one direction than the other, it has to do with the way they are faceing in the water. If your lure comes by from behind and goes past them they are more likely to pursue it. If they have to swap ends they are less likely to put on a chase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liars Tape.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	6164
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limit (Small).JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	6165 Still messing with attachements.. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.. It used to be so easy. I open to any ideas here... sheeesh

Open an account on photo bucket, it is very simple to attach from there you can even view your post to make sure it is right before you post it. From there you can attach as a link or put the pic right in your post try it out.

Thanks JTM, I can see them on my end, however; apparently nobody can see them here. I have attached many photos in the past, not sure why it's an issue here. I will give photo bucket a crack

Rafting4fun, Pictures are showing up just fine on my end. That 19 inch koke in picture one is impressive.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

What a circus, sorry I did not hit LP. Fishing was ok nothing fast and furious, caught 4. But the entertainment at the launch was priceless!!!! To top it off there was a pontoon trying to load at the end of the day- Hilarious!!!!!

JTM , you saw him too.. :) did you see the speed he was traveling when he left.... Sheeesh... I got a very late start.. caught two before I it the other side. I had a boat come in behind me while trolling. Did not matter which way I turned, he was determined to get too close.. Turns out I knew one of them and they were just having fun.... right until he trolled across my lines and shredded my best lure, not to mention having to completely cut everything off, repair the lure, re-tie and start fishing again.. When I was up on Monday, there were 4 boats on the water. When I came around the last corner which provides a view of the ramp, I could not believe how many boats were out. I counted (conservatively) 30 trlr's.... I never saw anyone boat a fish... ???? Gotta love it... I did take note of only 5 boats on LP on the way up... hind sight is always 20-20..

"No Scents, makes No sense"

Quote Originally Posted by bsukoker View Post
    Fished both days this weekend. 2 on Sat, 4 on Sun. 15 to 17". Down riggers appeared to be doing better both days. Most fish were 30 to 50 ft. All mine were on silver dodgers and green and white hoochies. No luck on pink or orange. Caught a couple rainbows on the orange. Saw a lot of green flashers shining in the sunlight in other boats. Morning bite was better than than the eve. bite. Had 49' on temps. Tons of people already and the road is already piling up trailer parts along the road side. Hope L.P. picks up soon and takes some of the pressure off the lake.
    bsukoker, I compiled/wrote some info in the General Discussion forum.. it's about 17 down on the first page... you might want to take a look and see if any of that may help you... just fyi. http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ner-and-beyond
    Last edited by Rafting4fun; 04-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    "No Scents, makes No Sense"

Hey Rafting, great info. I was up on AR today, 5th or 6th boat on the water, even got to park on the sand next to the ramp, not the outhouse landing. Had a diver @ 10, 20, 30 and 40 by 7:15 am. Had green and sparkle., pink and uv clear/pink spread over 4 poles. Boated first fish, a trout, within 10 min on the 20. Boated the first kok at about 8:45. on a 20 ft'er pink hoochie, silver dodger. Fished mostly across from boat ramp, some time where south fork meets lake, 2 squaws on the deep diver about 9:30. and a kok on the hot pink with silver dodger @ 10 ft. about 9. caught 2 more kok's between 9 and 10 am, 1 more on the pink 10 ft diver with pink and 1 on the 20 ft'er with clear/ pink uv. Nothing on green today. Quit about 1:30. 3 kok's total. Heading back up tomorrow. Can't decide between L.P. and A.R. Lot of boats across from spring shores, really had me wondering. Noticed A.R. was down about 8 or 10 ft. from last weekend. wondering if full moon and lake drop had fish acting weird. No snow. Gonna be a short boating season. Will be hitting deadwood and Anderson sooner than usual to get my smoking fish. Thanks again all, LOVE the site and intelligent insight.

Yeah as a matter of fact I was behind him, I think he thought he was on I-84, I would be furious if someone ran over my trolls even if it was a friend thats expensive. I was surprised at the amount of people on Friday, Must have been a rash of calling in to work sick. I did see some fish boated besides the ones I caught, but it was by no means Fast fishing. I got there around 10:00 and to start it off some guy left his wife with a rope on his boat, It managed to drift right in front of the ramp sideway's blocking anyone from launching. I had my boat in the water on trailer and had to pull it back out to avoid there boat hitting mine. Then guy comes down and instead of taking rope and clearing ramp he boards boat and attempts to start motor, Needless to say there was steam coming from my ears. This is why I avoid Turner.

Jon
    Last edited by JTM; 04-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Interesting about the photos, I have not submitted any on a post. Do not have any recent pictures of Kokanee, but will be heading for Dworshak Monday 5-6-13 and hope to have some to submit, however I will try to send another photo using the image icon, hope it works.Attachment 6199

JTM, could you tell me where to find the photo bucket you mentioned earlier, and how to get the pictures into a post?

Quote Originally Posted by kenbarb View Post
    JTM, could you tell me where to find the photo bucket you mentioned earlier, and how to get the pictures into a post?
    Sure just go to http//:www.photobucket.com create an account for yourself, then you just upload the photos you want to share. After you upload the pictures you click on the picture you want to share, it will give you options on how to share the picture on the right just click which one you like it will copy the link and hit control v or right click and choose paste where you want to add the picture in your post. You can preview the post and make sure you are getting the pictures in the post the way you like, if you don't like the way it shows up, just cut the link out and try another of the options till you find the one you like. Hope this helps and I tried to view the link in your post and it did not work.
    Last edited by JTM; 05-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    trollee trollerton, I know the Alan you are referring to. He is a good friend of mine and yes his Lures are a winner. Used the Hawk this morning at Lucky Peak from 10 am -1 pm and caught 8 med sized trout. No luck today on the Kokes. Have been using his Lures for 2 yrs now and he is constantly coming out with new ones.
    It took me 4 hours to figure out the depth and color, and less then 2 hours to limit. I start at 10 and drop down 5 every 15 min, if no luck I switch colors and start over. And oh yeah I switch speeds also, makes a huge diff.

Default kokanuts

Arrow was fun today trollin out of 16 ft jonboat,using red double whammys wth slingblade, 5/8 trollin sinker, corn and let out 60ft of line . Got most bites left of ramp out in middle. Lost most of them. Landed 4 hogs, 4 bows, and a city.

Testing, Testing.. Was the last post for A/R really on 5/7/13... I tried to post earlier today but it did not take... 5/7/13 is the last response I can see... ?????

Other than yours, that's what I see also .... and have noted the last couple of days that was the date of last post. Bart

The Administrators of this site had to clean up and remove a few of the more recent posts because some of the content had "gone south". You should have no problem posting on the Arrowrock forum from here on out. If you have any more trouble posting on this thread rafting4fun, please pm either myself or one of the Administrators and we will see what the problem is.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    The Administrators of this site had to clean up and remove a few of the more recent posts because some of the content had "gone south". You should have no problem posting on the Arrowrock forum from here on out.
    Well thanks for your work. It's a great site!

Ok, one more shot.. either my pix go missing or my entire post.... I think it's a conspiracy :)... While boating a nice limit of kokes the other day (day before last) at around 1015 hours I witnessed a road grader moving slowly s/b. When I say noticed I mean I heard then saw. That road is a wreck. Well by the time I got off the water they had graded from the ramp to the paved transition below AR Dam. It was a nice drive home but I can tell you it's going to be short lived. People need to slow down. At this point it may take the Boise County Sheriff to intervene... they just do not have the resources to handle this remote area. I propose a nice sign on the ramp to explain the rules of ramp etiquette. I also propose a meeting with the Boise County Sheriff to address the fast driving which butchers that road.
    I would also like to catch the idiot's that are leaving their trash parked next to the ramp... Coor's Box... and the numerous plastic floating in the lake...... I picked up some of it, however; it's too much for one guy to handle.

To date I was Pike free... now the scales of justice are working against me.. hooked 6 of those bait hogs... each developed a sudden case of tragedy.. AHmm ambiguity at its best.

With that said the fish are big and loads of good eating.. B 4 I forget.. anyone know the PCB/Mercury levels in A/R... All that mining above Anderson had to have brought something down below.
    The bad part is this. Last year the BLM launched a good size vessel on A/R to study and get rid of a huge population of Pike's Minnows by setting gill nets. It was working great from what I could see. The next day, due to water drop that they had not anticipated, their boat became stuck on shore. They left it there for the night until they could get another boat to drag them off shore. Low and behold the idiots happened again. They, the idiots, Burned their gill nets and stole a very important piece of electronic gear that would end up being entirely useless to them. (definitely not Kokanee fisherman)... REALLY???:? The cost of the important electronic equipment/????? $7,000.

This is probably not a productive rant, however; I would offer the following. I am willing to establish a meeting with Boise County Sheriff. I doubt they have the funds for sign, however; I would be willing to chip in to have a sign near the ramp offering caveats in reference to Ramp Etiquette/litter etc... something about the size of the Nifty "MUSHROOMS" sign indicating a permit should be drawn prior to Mushroom harvesting... It's a revenue builder but with the right kind of pressure/request's I think we might be able to get some help..
    END RANT... tight lines all, Jt

Post Script: lake trolls, for me right now, are out doing sling blades. Pinks/red's are good.. shallow in the am and down to 23ft in the noon. 1.5 color's in (LL) in the AM, out to 5Colors by 1PM.. scent was tested against no scent. The Scented "SHoePeg" out performed the natural, BIG TIME... I'm not pushing scent, i'm just saying it makes a dfference.
    Last edited by Rafting4fun; 05-18-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Rafting4life,
    Thanks for the post. The trash problem has definitely grown in the last couple of years. It will have to be a group effort to keep this lake a nice place to visit. Glad to hear of your success.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

I have made Arrowrock my favorite fishing digs for the past three years...and really pay attention to the activity up there...I love your posts Rafting...thanks for sharing...not to disagree with you per say...but the truth is that trucks dragging boats slow up the hills is typically what causes the wash board roads...its not the fast moving cars and empty trucks that do the most damage...however...they do drive waaaay too fast up there...seems like every year someone goes off the side into the drink...secondly...people are pigs everywhere I have ever lived...and it baffles me how anyone can drag in coolers of "full" drinks....and can't be bothered to take home the empties...leave their worm containers and crap everywhere...its bad everywhere...people suck.
    As far as the big boat last year, it was an outfit out of Minnesota...they were there to tag Bull trout for a study...they were using the nets to safely catch the Bull's and radio tag them...I did ask if they were killing the pikeminnows they were catching...they said they were killing a lot of them...but there were so many they didn't have time to kill them all...that's not why they were there. I saw their boat up on the beach...it was kinda funny at the time....but really sucked for them....so far however....we haven't caught any in the few trips we went this spring...hope it stays that way...Good luck gentlemen...

The more I fish for these land locked salmon the more I realize what I thought I knew about them is wrong. Saturday was the best day we have ever had fishing for kokes. We landed close to 30. Had probably another 15 on. We caught them on just about everything we tried. I even caught a few on my new secret rigging. It seemed that it didn't matter what we put back as long as it had some vanilla scent on it. They didn't want herring oil, tuna oil, shrimp oil, corn, carp spit, anise, or plain. We caught them as shallow as 1' and down to 25'. We caught them with 1 color of leadcore and as many as 5 colors. We also caught 2 of the biggest kokes I have ever seen. Best part about it was we had them all to our selves. The main pool had a few boats and the SF arm had the rest. I'd you are waiting for some great koke action, get out there cause its here
    Last edited by BigggCountry; 05-20-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast