Thread: Detroit Lake

Talking Detroit Lake

Anyone been to Detroit Lake fishing for kokanee lately? Seems like last year we didn't see many Koks there.
    KokaneeGal

Not worth fishing for kokes. IMHO. They're hard to find amongst all the trout and they run small. Ur better off heading just a little bit south to green peter. According to reports fishing is picking up

I've had some friend been up there just recently they caught just stocker trout/ there are kokanee in there but not many usually you will catch them while fishing for trout. SUCH A WASTE OF A GREAT IMPOUNDMENT with just stocker trout. They (F&W) attempted stocking land lock chinnook, but they never made it/ they stock thousand's of smolt in Detroit and Green Peter

I haven't fished it yet this year, but as soon as I do I'll post a report. There are Kokanee in the lake just not the numbers like Green Peter but they have been way bigger than Green Peter over the past couple years. In May last year they were already a good 16 inches and really fat. I think there are going to be some efforts in the future to make this a more Kokanee friendly lake. Check out south side of island or the Kenny Creek area of the lake.. Although that end of the lake is going to be really cold right now because of the warmer surface water going over the dam..

Fish On kokaneekid.

Trout were on the bite at detroit today until it turned nasty and rained like crazy. Only one nice rainbow that measured 14" and went back in to grow some more. No kokanee and that is what I was looking for. Fished kinney creek and from there up to and into blowout on south side.