Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merwin 2013 post it here

Way to go! Seems like the Kokanee is on fire right now. Almost everyone I know is making a killing out on Merwin. I can't wait to get on the lake this up coming weekend.

Well, I lost the magic. I fished Wednesday for six hours. I caught eight kookanee and a squaw fish. All my hits were before 0915. Catfish got the first ten fish limit. He was done around 0900. I talked to a lot of fisherman. You had to be at the right spot at the right time to do well. A guide boat came in at noon and I over heard one of the four clients say that he had not caught anything! I hope to go next Tuesday maybe I will see you.

Merwin: Sweet day on Merwin yesterday. We ended up with 24 in the net. Released 3 smaller kokes and 3 chubs. Probably had 15 get off near the boat. It was nice to limit out. AClick image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	6189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	6190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	6191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	6192nything seemed to work. Didn't seem to make any difference where you fished on the lake. Most fish near the surface.
    Last edited by Strike Zone; 05-02-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokecatcher View Post
    Well, I lost the magic. I fished Wednesday for six hours. I caught eight kookanee and a squaw fish. All my hits were before 0915. Catfish got the first ten fish limit. He was done around 0900. I talked to a lot of fisherman. You had to be at the right spot at the right time to do well. A guide boat came in at noon and I over heard one of the four clients say that he had not caught anything! I hope to go next Tuesday maybe I will see you.
    We came in at noon with 28, didn't see any other guide boats out there... Which boat was it?

Wednesday had a great bite early but the bite died a bit when the air went stagnant. Going for 50 tomorrow.....

Ok Everyone, On May 4th my Son and I arrived at the launch at 0520 and all ready there where about thirty people trying to get their boats in the water. I left the bay and dropped in at 0545. Between 0545 and 0900 we already had 9 decent sized in the boat. We must have lost about 8 next to the boat. Caught and lost a few more by 1030 and the bite stopped. The hardest thing was navigating what must have been over 150 boats. We tried until 1230 and caught none. We decided to go towards Yale. We found our self as far as we could go where the river dumps in. What a great sight! Very shallow so be careful. Anyway we dropped anchor and tried to catch the monster Kokanee we can see a few feet below the boat. For the next few hours we went cove to cove bottom fishing for anything. We caught three Browns. Around 5:45 we were down by Merwin Dam and decided to Drop in and troll back East. About 0615 the bite was back! We were landing bout 4 every 15 Min. We left Merwin at 7:30pm. 14 hours total at merwin and we left with 14 Kokanee and all of them were larger than 14in. We also left with 3 browns. What a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by csullyracing View Post
    Ok Everyone, On May 4th my Son and I arrived at the launch at 0520 and all ready there where about thirty people trying to get their boats in the water. I left the bay and dropped in at 0545. Between 0545 and 0900 we already had 9 decent sized in the boat. We must have lost about 8 next to the boat. Caught and lost a few more by 1030 and the bite stopped. The hardest thing was navigating what must have been over 150 boats. We tried until 1230 and caught none. We decided to go towards Yale. We found our self as far as we could go where the river dumps in. What a great sight! Very shallow so be careful. Anyway we dropped anchor and tried to catch the monster Kokanee we can see a few feet below the boat. For the next few hours we went cove to cove bottom fishing for anything. We caught three Browns. Around 5:45 we were down by Merwin Dam and decided to Drop in and troll back East. About 0615 the bite was back! We were landing bout 4 every 15 Min. We left Merwin at 7:30pm. 14 hours total at merwin and we left with 14 Kokanee and all of them were larger than 14in. We also left with 3 browns. What a great day!

Nice work! I bet that was a good time with your son!

The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Heading up tomorrow with the wife. Any reports on what depth the are at now? Water temp? Just looking to get a little clued in. Been springer fishing, with this weather I would rather b Kokanee fishing. Thanks for any help.

Yimmee, I heard there is a tournament up there on the 11th, so it might be a bit crowded at Speelyai. Cresap is open though... Good luck, I have been too busy to get up there yet, maybe next weekend
    When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras...

Speelyai will be extra crowded tomorrow morning they are doing the sign in for the derby there, little extra drive up to cresap may be worth it!
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Attachment 6219

Took a little bit but got it done!

Darn,,, missed out on the tourny.. that would have been fun.... any reports on how it went and the fish bite?

Ok seeing as how I started this thread I suppose its time to add to it. I have been dragging my feet waiting for Shawn (Wild Child) to have the time to post here but we always seem to have too much going to ever get it done. During the week he is either too busy with home work or I am too busy with other things to sit down and help him.

Friday 4-5-13

We did a pre-weekend fishing trip, we had some friends make a long drive to come fish with us on Saturday. We had Kokonuts (Richard) with us and we came close to a limit, we were fishing just west of the stump farm on the south side of the lake, we had pretty good luck with spinglows, micro-hoochies, and Shawns Kok Killer lure, all trailing Shasta sling blades, With the exception of one Shawn put some really wild bends in another dodger we had and one of Kokanee kids new smile blade bug lures and it was very effective!

Saturday 4-6-13 Ken and Dawnell came up from Oregon and spent the day on the water with us, it was a loooong day but we managed the first boat limit of the year and it was 20 fish instead of 10 or 15! Same story as Friday we ran almost everything in the tackle box trying to make it happen, everything was in the top 15' of water.

Sunday 4-7-13 (Picture with only 7 fish)

We actually did limit out, we figured we would leave the lines out while we took pictures and cleaned fish, #8 came right after we took this picture, #9 right after cleaning all the fish and putting the knife away, # 10 same thing, knife cleaned just bringing in the last couple rods in. Still using all differnt gear, Kokanee kid copper blade bell ringer, pink spinglow, Micro hoochie, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	6223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	6225   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	106 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	6226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	6224  
    Last edited by Mudinchev; 05-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

4-13 It was another long day on the water but we managed to limit out all the fish were still running surface down to about 15'. (No pic phone got wet, battery died, new top on the boat leaked worse than the old broken top) Not a happy day on the water.

4-14 We tried something different, We fished in the afternoon and my wife and daughter joined us (rare occasion, Sarah doesn't have the same patents Shawn does) Unfortunate the only thing wild about the day was the weather every 10 minutes it changed, we scratched out 2 fish one of them being just over 14"!

Views:	80 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	6228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	6229  

4-27......Now this is more like it! We fished Rife on the 13th so we were off the lake for 2 weeks, we started out down by the stump farm again only to find there were not any fish that wanted to play down there, after an hour of no fish we moved back up the lake and fished right in front of the Campers Hideaway launch, we limited out in short order and made it up to KK5 for a late breakfast/lunch. Fish still running surface to 15' on the down riggers, we changed tactics a little bit, last year at this time we were running all sling blades and pink micro-hoochies so that is what we did this time. It payed off BIG!.

4-28......Shawn wanted to invite his best friend and fishing buddy Jase, (another kid that love/lives to fish) I had a blast sitting back and just watching them work, Jase is more of a "big fish" kid his dad fishes a lot of salmon and ling cod, so he had a bit of a tough time taking it easy on the fish, no need to set the hook and winch them in. Either way that had a blast! Same story as the day before, pink and orange micro hoochies trailing sling blades. Anywhere from the top down to about 15'.

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	6230   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	96 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	6231   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	90 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	6232  

We spent 5-3 through 5-6 @ Wickiup so it was another 2 week stretch of being off of Merwin. This was our first run at the new 10 fish limit and also our first derby of the year. We launched from the Hidaway @ 5:30 and motored over to Speelyai to see how long we were going to have to wait until we could sign in and go fish. They told us to go start fishing and come back between 7-8 to sign up. We just started dropping lines right outside the bay (first run fishing with 4 down riggers so there was a bit of a learning curve going on). We played dodge boat for about an hour and went back with 5 fish in the box to sign up. After that we ran down the lake close to woodland park. The water is warming up FAST this year we were running between 20 and 40 feet all day. We played with some different gear but ended up going back to our trusty Shasta Sling blade/hoochie set up. We had 17 fish in the boat by noon, we were starting to sweat just a little, not just from the sun but weather we were going to find our last 3 fish or not before we had to go weigh in. We decided to abandon the area we were working and head across the lake to try the south side, (risky move we were marking a lot of fish but they were not in the mood), on the way across we picked up 2 really nice fish and turned around to pick up our last fish to make it a FULL LIMIT!

As it turns out it was even enough to get the win! We netted the "best stringer" in the derby! Cameron Black / Gone Catchin Guide Service put some really impressive numbers in his boat as well, he came in with 48 fish, . Fortunately it was based on average length we just barely edged him out. The 2 kids on his boat didn't walk away empty handed though, one of them caught the biggest fish of the if the derby @ 16.8" and the other one got prize for the smallest fish. Not surprising that we were both using VERY similar gear Shasta sling blades and hoochies

Views:	102 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	6234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	6235  
    Last edited by Mudinchev; 05-12-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Way to go team wild child!
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

What time do they open the gate at sp. bay. First trip in new to us boat in a.m.

Fished Merwin Friday 6am till 3pm. Was a little harder getting fish today. We used everything we could find in our tackle box. hoochies, sng's, wedding rings, in orange, pink, gold, silver & chartreuse. Started out fishing at 50ft on the DR's. Got a couple and then nothing. In lowering the DR I got hit hard at 15ft by a large kokanee. It came unbuttoned. Changed our depth to 20, 25,30,35 etc with 4 poles on stacked DR's. Ended up catching more fish today at the shallower depths 20 to 30 feet than deeper. Maybe it had something to do with the rain and overcast skies the last few days. Ended up with 11 in the boat. Had a blast and dinner was awesome. Blackened kokanee on caeser salad.

Default Update May 19th

With all the great fishing I am surprised there are not more people posting in this thread. Anyway we had to the chance to take Shawn's fishing buddy out with us again and after a hard run to our first 20 fish limit the previous Saturday I wasn't sure we could pull off a 30 fish limit but these two boys were up for the task! We launched at Cresap had lines in the water at 5:30 and trolled from there to Speelyai and had 6 fish in the boat but decided that it was going to get too crowded in that area so we took off and headed down to Woodland park, we worked that area for a while and farther toward the dam. It was a pretty constant bite for the most part but we had a couple of 1/2 dry spells so Shawn and Jase were talking about making different lures and Jase came up with a smile blade spinner hoochie combination that had red beads inside (red guts). It was a fish catcher! Most of the fish were between 15 and 30 feet on the DR's. We finished up about 2pm. with 3 full limits!

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	6320  

Ive never been fished merwin but from all these reports it looks like i might to take day away from american next week and merwin! I cant wait!!! Any tipes for a noob at merwin? Im not asking for your hot spots but some advice! Feel free to pm me.

Default May 25th

We slept in Saturday and spent some time getting ready to spend the weekend at the campground. It worked out great because we had a friend who hadn't fished Merwin much that wanted to go for a short ride and learn a few things. We started in the Woodland park area and moved across the lake to the rope swing area, most of the action was at 25-35 feet and the bite was surprisingly consistent for being mid day 10-2. It was also the nicest day of the weekend to be on the water.

Name:	IMAG1097.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	6324  

Default May 26th

We got a bit earlier start Sunday and had another friend with us, fished from about 7 until 3, the morning bite was crazy, 3 of us running 4 rods and we had a hard time keeping all 4 lines out for the first hour after that it tapered off a little and we got some time to relax between fish, over all it was an awesome day on the water. Same area as the day before same depths etc etc. We tried out a few different hoochies and different colors, it turns out they like black with multicolored legs covered in glitter too! Other than that pink and orange were the colors for the day.

Name:	IMAG1099.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	6325  

Default May 28th

The word for the day....WET!!!.....Wife and Daughter decided they wanted to hang out with us for the day which make the wet weather even more of a bummer because they didn't have good rain gear. It was actually wet enough that I used the backdrop for the first time just to cut down on the amount of water blowing in when we were trolling with the wind. Even though the fishing was slower it was still a fun day, Sarah finally got to reel in a few fish on the fishing rod she(we) made a few months ago and she also got in on making and testing new lures (great thing for bored kids in the boat to do when the fish aren't biting). One of the ones she put together wasn't in the water 20 minutes and it landed a nice fat Kok! The strangest part of the day, the only fish I could get to bite were @ 10 feet, I was marking them deeper but they didn't want to play! I think we only picked up 2 fish in the 15-20 range, and once the weather mellowed out in the afternoon the slow bite got even slower.

Name:	IMAG1101.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	6326  

Mudinchev....sounds like a great day on the water with the family despite the wet weather. Hoping to get the family out this weekend for a similar adventure, minus the rain of course:)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast