Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Merwin 2013 post it here

Fished 8:30 to 2 on Saturday. Weather was not real pleasant, fortunately the old Gregor has a full canopy top that kept us mostly dry. We went 1 for 2, lost one at the boat. Thanks to Kokonuts, we got both hits on a pink hoochie with scented corn behind a shasta sling blade. Downrigger was set at 15ft. We saw what appeared to be quite a few fish on the sonar around 20 to 30 feet near bunkem hollow, they were all of the non-biting variety!
    Last edited by KnotWorkin; 03-28-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kokaguy1 View Post
    Not rumor, the limit will go to 10 kokanee beginning May 1st.
    Is this officially posted somewhere?
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Cool Merwin Thur. 3-21

WoW!
    Thur. was full of surprize's, First off my friend Jon & I had to scrape of the SNOW from my boat at the Campers Hideway about 7:00 so it was about 8:00 when we launched. It was cold & grey on the water but no snow or rain!! We went down the South side and started trolling with 4 poles, 2 on long lines & 2 on the DR's with the release about 1 foot below the surface. We were using Wiggle Butts (more later) & Shasta Tackle Wiggle Hoochies. It wasn't long before we had a nice Silver Kokanee in the boat! We stayed on the South Side going west for about 1 mile and we caught fish at a good pace then turned around & went back over the same area still catching, even had a couple doubles. Even though we lost 3-4 we were back at the Marina with 10 around 11:00. The fish are all in the 13"-15" range and it was a real blast!

Most all were caught on the Long Lines with Joels Wiggle Butts! I used them last year and did very well at Merwin & the Oregon Kokanee Power Derby's. The best part is Joel is working on some NEW Idea's for this year and the ones I've seen are completely different than last years. Those of you who are using his Salmon & Steelhead Jig's know the Quality that Joel puts into every one.The NEW Line of Wiggle Butt's are all Hand Made by Joel and I can't wait to get some for this years Derby's & of course Lake Merwin. Since Joel has so many orders for his Jig's it may be a month or so before he is able to get the Wiggle Butt's out , but you can see his Jig's on face Book or E mail Joel at: steeljumper@yahoo.com

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Smile

WoW is right! Today was my third trip in the past two weeks. In my first two trips I got only one hit for nine hours of fishing. Today was different. I caught five nice kokanee 13-13 3/4 inches. I lost one and had some hits that did not hook. I fished for about 3 1/2 hours. I got an equal number of hits flatline at 90 feet and 1/2 oz. at 70 feet. My second and third fish hit at the same time. I was lucky to get both. The water was calm and the sky overcast but dry. I fished the south shore a little west of Campers Hideaway to the slide. I was surprised that there were not more people fishing. The lot at Speelyai was only about half full when I returned to the dock. I forgot my camera so the picture was taken when I returned home. I like to process my fish at the lake so there is no mess at home. I talked to a couple of friends who fished the river today. They are having hotdogs for dinner!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0418.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	6017  

Kokecatcher: Way to go. I wish I could have been up there with ya. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be able to get away. And hope the fish will still be cooperating then.
    Denny

fished 2 day really slow manage 3 nice kokes had a few short hits didnt stick saw quite afew boats and talked to a few that had nothing.

Went to Merwin yesterday with my son and grandson, The weather was not bad, windy and bumpy in the morning, calmed about 11pm. Got a hit right out of the bay flat lining 100 ft behind the boat, didn't hang. We ended up with 2 in the boat and lost 3. not all that great. Saw the biggest school I had ever seen on the finder, passed over it for ~ 7 minutes, 80 ft and deeper. Some really large fish in it. talked to several other boats, none doing good. Left at 1pm, lot was full. Probably won't go back until I see reports of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokonuts View Post
    WoW!
    Thur. was full of surprize's, First off my friend Jon & I had to scrape of the SNOW from my boat at the Campers Hideway about 7:00 so it was about 8:00 when we launched. It was cold & grey on the water but no snow or rain!! We went down the South side and started trolling with 4 poles, 2 on long lines & 2 on the DR's with the release about 1 foot below the surface. We were using Wiggle Butts (more later) & Shasta Tackle Wiggle Hoochies. It wasn't long before we had a nice Silver Kokanee in the boat! We stayed on the South Side going west for about 1 mile and we caught fish at a good pace then turned around & went back over the same area still catching, even had a couple doubles. Even though we lost 3-4 we were back at the Marina with 10 around 11:00. The fish are all in the 13"-15" range and it was a real blast!

Most all were caught on the Long Lines with Joels Wiggle Butts! I used them last year and did very well at Merwin & the Oregon Kokanee Power Derby's. The best part is Joel is working on some NEW Idea's for this year and the ones I've seen are completely different than last years. Those of you who are using his Salmon & Steelhead Jig's know the Quality that Joel puts into every one.The NEW Line of Wiggle Butt's are all Hand Made by Joel and I can't wait to get some for this years Derby's & of course Lake Merwin. Since Joel has so many orders for his Jig's it may be a month or so before he is able to get the Wiggle Butt's out , but you can see his Jig's on face Book or E mail Joel at: steeljumper@yahoo.com

Kokonuts

Thanks Kokonuts for the great day on the water! Heres some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow1.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	6026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	limits1.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	6027
    Last edited by KnotWorkin; 03-27-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Fished Monday April 1st with my friend Richard. Scratched out 8 good looking kokes in the 14-15" range. Started fairly early at 7:45. The bite was better early. Water is getting a little warmer. Lake was glass all day. Hoochies in pink are still the most productive. All in all a great day on the water. Fish are still on top.

Fished on April 2 from 10.40 to 6pm we landed 10 kokee 12-13 , wheatear was grate

I was out on Fri., Sat., & Mon. (today) & even with the rain & some wind fishing was very good!
    I talked with a few friends that had limits each day and all I can say is that I was very close, only missed it on Sat.

I've found a new/ old favorite, the Spin & Glow in Pink , Green & Gold colors have been really hot the past couple of weeks.
    It might have something to do with the Glow Inc. Paint that I've been trying out on some Lures & Dodgers.
    Check the paint out at : www.glowinc.com It only takes a small amount to go over a dodger.

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

First i would like to thank Kokonuts for his gracious hospitality and wonderful day on the water, Monday the 8th.. We were prob. on the lake by 8a.m. and off by 1:45 p.m. or so. We caught 11 fish, prob. could have caught another 4, but we all had obligations and we had a long drive back to Elma.Used Kokonuts' spin and glows on two rods, used a green pee wee hootchie behind a sling-blade with tail of nightcrawler that worked well, used a blue hootchie and then a glow wedding ring behind various dodgers with no success before switching to another spin&glow with a larger slingblade that did the trick. Richard used corn on spin&glows with slingblades which also worked well.We had two on downriggers and two flatlining, but went with 3 flatlining as those rods were getting hit more even though the 'riggers were shallow. Rain was off and on, but a great day on the water never the less. We stopped by the Lamiglass store to bring in a new rod that I bought for Melanie at the factory sale in December(7 ft MDC 702 UL Kokanee special). I had just opened the new reel (custom abu garcia 4601 kokanee special) and proceeded to sit on the upper section of the rod, breaking it. After making it to the store in Woodland Monday after fishing we were really pleased when they replaced it, even with my screw up.Nice folks at lamiglass.Didn't get to use it on Merwin, but will bring it to Lake Quinalt for opening day later in the month and will review rod and reel. The rod was inexpensive, but feels nice and is the lightest downrigger rod they make.I have a CG 70DR 7 ft. lami already, I like it, but Melanie wanted something even lighter. The new reel looks identical to my c3 4601 but with a clicker. I'm hoping the side plate with clicker is available from abu and maybe will fit on mine. Nice to not have to look at rods all the time. Filled it with that new power pro slik8 braid.Looking forward to a great kokanee dinner tonight.Bob R and Melanie

Bob & Melanie,
    Yes it was a very good day! I really enjoyed talking with both of you & learning about the Quinault River & Lake Fishing. It wont be long before
    you get a call from me about fishing with you up there!

Kokonuts.....AKA Richard K.
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Attachment 6097

Nice sized kokes this year. Had to give it a go with my son and friends... Lost more than we got but still a fun morning.

Default My adventure with Merwin

Lake Merwin 4-22-13

Oh what a day! I was planning on fishing American on this day but I got a text from Trent asking if I wanted to go with him and Jerry in Jerry’s boat to Lake Merwin. I have never been to Merwin so I asked what time. Since I didn’t have to be to his house until 8am, I said yes.
    We got on the water around 12pm. This was Jerry’s boat shakedown trip and we used Trent’s electric motor. The Suzuki motor started right up and we were off down the lake to where they had previously caught fish.
    Jerry caught 2 fish within an hour long lining a Dick Nite watermelon dodger with a pink splatter squid with a Mylar blade and his homemade garlic corn. I can’t remember what Trent used. I used many things but didn’t get anything until late and it was on a Dick Nite watermelon dodger with a Pink Splatter Squid and unscented shoepeg corn. With this gear on, I caught 2 in the evening. Trent had bites mostly in the evening as we paddled the boat with lids. So for 9 hours on the lake we got a total of 4 fish for 3 people with 4 lines in the water, all long lining. As we troll back toward Speelyai Bay launch with the electric motor, Trent decides it is time to pick up and head back. We are about a mile from the launch on Trent’s I-Phone app and Jerry goes to start the electric start Suzuki and it just clicks. Trolling 8 hours on the electric with only short bursts of charging from the main motor had depleted both (the switch was on both) to where it would not start the motor. Jerry had one oar but it was in his vehicle at Trent’s house. Guess what? We were the only ones out there. Jerry and I had no cell reception. Should have brought that oar...Jerry grabs the small plastic lid off a plastic container and starts rowing. I get one off mine and row. I think it was Trent that got my ice box lid and Jerry started using that. Now the sun has gone behind the hill and it is getting close to 8 and we have made progress. Thank God the wind was behind us blowing us in the right direction, too. Still it looked a long way. It was going to take a long time. I thought of who we could get a hold of and I remembered that I had Kokonuts phone number even if I couldn’t call I could use the contacts and get the number and call on Trent’s phone. I was hoping he was at his Merwin campsite but he wasn’t. He was home in Portland but Richard (Kokonuts) knew someone to call, Mudinchev (Scott). So Trent, the fisherman, could not stand all the fish jumping around us. He puts his fishing rod back out and gets the most bites he had all day while we were paddling the boat. He still could not catch a fish.
    Scott got there a little after 9, I believe. We heard him coming across the lake and Jerry and I started to flash our cell phones at him. I use my camera flash. He towed us in to the launch. We weren’t to far from it but an east wind had started up and would have blown us away from the launch if he had not come.
    Now we are back at the launch with one more obstacle we had to find out about. Had they closed the gate? No, thank God once again. I thank Richard and Scott for being my heroes. We made it home safe, although late. In fact, I got home the next day.
    I was just to tired to take my usual pictures with the gear. There is only a cell phone picture of my 2 fish.

Name:	cell photo kokanee.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	6144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry and second fish.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	6145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trent going to go over and get some fish.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	6143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry's 2nd fish.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	6146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My 2 rods.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	6147  

Ohhhhh. Been there and done that... Well at least some fish were caught. Thanks for the report! Pull started a 70hp Evinrude one time and I tell you that was treat. LOL

Scott's awesome.
    Merlin gets big really fast when the wind comes up. Without power it could be a slow float to the dam and long walk back to the truck.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Red face Merwin 4/26/13

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0437.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	6169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0439.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	6168Today was a wonderful morning at Merwin for me. It started of slow. The gate keeper was ten minutes late and the full moon was so bright that you could almost read a paper. As I left the dock about 0545 two other rigs arrived. I headed east and soon found myself right in the middle of a boil. Fish were everywhere! I got my first line out at 0555 and before I could set the second rod I had a kokanee in the boat. I got both rods out and the first rod had another fish. I reset the first rod and brought in the second rod to change gear. I got the second rod half out and the first rod went off. When that fish was half way in the second rod started moving in the boat. I had a double. I got both and now had four fish. The time was 0615. Fifteen minutes later the fifth fish was in the boat. I had struck the mother lode! Every now and then everything comes together: right place, right time, right gear and bait, right depth and speed. All fish were caught flatline at 100ft. Three on a flo. orange wedding ring with a 1.0 silver scale smile blade behind a silver sling blade and two on a flo. orange wedding ring with a #2 hammered nickle Indiana blade behind a UV sling blade. I am surprised how large the fish are for this time of year. The fish measured 13, 13 3/4, 14, 14 1/2, 141/2. They were very fat. I left Speelyai about 0745. There were 17-18 rigs in the lot with more arriving. As a side note, I spoke with the gate keeper and he said they may open Cresap tomorrow. The logging project is scheduled to be completed today.

Way to go Kokecatcher !! Nice looking fish.

That's Great to hear! Way to go!. I am planning a trip to Merwin next Sat! I have never been there but its time I try it. Obviously its best to go before dawn! I will be using a 16 ft Lund with a 25 horse and a 3.5 horse for trolling, 3 people, 3 lines. I will be fishing the top with orange mini houchie and a orange spinglo and corn. Where is the best place to go? Again keep in mind I have never been there and don't even know where the launch is.

Fished Saturday 4/27. Good day, went 14 for 24. Everything we used worked. 100 feet long lined. Middle of the lake is where we found the biters. At one time we had 4 fish on at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by xplorz View Post
    Lou, thanks for posting the maps up. Good to print and study.

Another great source requires spending around $10 for the Navionics smart phone app. I have it on my android phone and with the built in GPS, it works great on Merwin/Yale/Swift even though there is no cell reception, as maps are pre-cached. I have GPS on my Lowrance, but I run the smartphone app and that lets me run full screen for the fishfinder.
    xplorz, just curious as to what effect running the app has on the phone battery? I ask because last week I was turkey hunting and my son was using a Google Earth app on his iPhone; it worked great showing us where we were as we explored some new State and Tmber lands; however, the continuous downloading of data did drain the battery qute a bit. IssaquahBob

Hello everyone, I was onkokonuts boat during the veteran's fishing day at Riffe Lake the other week. I am planning on coming down to fish Lake Merwin next Sat and Sunday. Can you please give me some advice so that I have the best chances of catching. I have never been to merwin and don't even know where the launch is but I am sure I can find it. I need to know what is the best set up to use, where on the lake is the best spots, and what times are best for bites. I will be using a Lund Aluminum 16.5 ft with a 25hp and a 3.5 hp. I don't have any downriggers so I will be top fish trolling. Any advice possible would be great! Please PM me.

csullyracing

Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahBob View Post
    xplorz, just curious as to what effect running the app has on the phone battery? I ask because last week I was turkey hunting and my son was using a Google Earth app on his iPhone; it worked great showing us where we were as we explored some new State and Tmber lands; however, the continuous downloading of data did drain the battery qute a bit. IssaquahBob
    The Navionics app allows you to download the maps ahead of time and you do not need any cell reception to use to the app once you have the maps. I have all of Oregon and Washington in mine, not taking up much room on the sd card. Plus, on the boat I can use a car charger if I needed it, but I bought the extended battery option on my phone.

Red face Merwin 4/30

Another great morning. The fish were still on the surface. I started with a double catching both. In less than forty minutes I had my five and lost two. Like last Friday all hits were flat line 100ft. I continue to use sling blades and flo. orange wedding rings. Fishing is still best in the eastern part of the lake. As it heats up I expect this to change. My fish today were a little bit smaller that last Friday. They were all 13 1/4 to 13 3/4. I spoke with the gate keeper again this morning. He said the plan is now to open Cresap on Thursday, May 2.

Name:	100_0442.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	6186  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast