Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merwin 2013 post it here

Cool Merwin 2013 post it here

Thought I would kick off the Merwin 2013 thread, looking back at all the different posts from last year on Merwin I was thinking it might be a good thing if we tried to keep a continuing thread threw out the year. That way when people are looking for information the bulk of it is in one place. It could also be useful in the years to come if we had some kind of progressive changes threw out the year. Kind of like keeping a personal log only its information from every one, at least those that are willing to share some of their knowledge.
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Default Our first "real' trip of the year

Our first real trip of the year was January 27, the weather wasn't too bad, mostly just cloudy but no wind to speak of and only had rain just as we were finishing up. Water temp was 39-40 degrees. We fished the area east of Speelyai, running everything everything very shallow mostly in the top 10' of water. It was slow fishing but for January I think it was exceptional! Shawn (Wild Child) had his best friend/fishing buddy with him so it was even more fun to get out. I will let Shawn fill in our February trips. One of the videos we posted on Youtube is of this trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0883.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	5927  
    Last edited by Mudinchev; 02-25-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Cabin fever has got the best of me so I'm going to kick off my season by heading to Merwin this weekend, fish or no fish it will be good to be out on the water again!

I'll be up there this weekend but it'll be a break in the new motor trip more than fishing. So the nut you see in the white drift boat trolling for 30 mins, then running around 1/2 throttle than trolling than 1/2 throttle trolling then full throttle all day "That BE ME" LOL
    Grab yourself a Koke

Quote Originally Posted by plugs View Post
    I'll be up there this weekend but it'll be a break in the new motor trip more than fishing. So the nut you see in the white drift boat trolling for 30 mins, then running around 1/2 throttle than trolling than 1/2 throttle trolling then full throttle all day "That BE ME" LOL

been there done that
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by Mudinchev View Post
    Thought I would kick off the Merwin 2013 thread, looking back at all the different posts from last year on Merwin I was thinking it might be a good thing if we tried to keep a continuing thread threw out the year. That way when people are looking for information the bulk of it is in one place. It could also be useful in the years to come if we had some kind of progressive changes threw out the year. Kind of like keeping a personal log only its information from every one, at least those that are willing to share some of their knowledge.
    Thought I would share some info on Merwin, Yale, and Swift. I located some old pre-lake USGS contour maps and converted the elevation contours to "depth-of-water" bathymetric contours. I then constructed new bathymetric lake maps. They are available exclusively on WashingtonLakes.com for anyone to print. Washington Lakes is a free forum, just sign up as you did for KFF. You could use your same login name so we who use both forums will know who you are.

Lou, thanks for posting the maps up. Good to print and study.

Another great source requires spending around $10 for the Navionics smart phone app. I have it on my android phone and with the built in GPS, it works great on Merwin/Yale/Swift even though there is no cell reception, as maps are pre-cached. I have GPS on my Lowrance, but I run the smartphone app and that lets me run full screen for the fishfinder.

Great idea, xplorz. Thanks. I have the first Droid that came out about four years ago, but it does have real GPS through satelites. It should work. With the GPS turned on, I have been able to use Google Maps on Alder Lake, but the Navionics should be much better and work anywhere.
    Last edited by MackPrince; 02-28-2013 at 02:08 AM.

But did you get any bites? Anyone think March will be good or still too early?

After spending the last few weeks putting new floor in boat, new motor, mounting new downriggers and getting new Kokanee rods at the sportsmen shows I hit the water at the crack of 9:30 to start the 5 hour marathon of idle, 1/2 throttle, ilel, 1/2 throttle,idle full throttle for most the day got down to business actually fishing about 2:30. By 4 it was starting to rain so headed to the ramp. Broke in the new rods, motor, floor and new downriggers with a lil blood on the 1st trip out on my birthday. Here's the 2 I got in the boat and lost 2. The parking lot was packed with me getting the last spot to park a trailer when I got there. Evidently there was no bite during the early part of the day as I kept seeing everyone head for the ramp early. I talked to 6 people with no fish. I was surprised getting a 15 incher this time of year and the other at 11 1/4. Good birthday broke in all the new goodies and got a couple fish!!
    Attachment 5947
    Grab yourself a Koke

Plugs -
    Congrats on being able to break in all your new stuff!

Attachment 5949

Two kokanee from saturday in the smoker, probably 8 & 10 inches after i lopped off the tails. Caught using a wedding ring & flasher setup w/ shoepeg. We had four people, four poles for 2-3 hours saturday & sunday running west of speelyai, staying on the north side of the lake near the two waterfalls.

No bites other than the ones we caught. I binoculared a boat netting 1 fish during that time, also using flashers. Caught one deeper @~50 & the other @~25. The fish finder didn't show nearly as many fish on ( >20 ) top as they did deeper ( 30-50 ). I think the water was 41-42 degrees with a lot of wood floating .

Quote Originally Posted by _kokanee View Post
    Attachment 5949

Two kokanee from saturday in the smoker, probably 8 & 10 inches after i lopped off the tails. Caught using a wedding ring & flasher setup w/ shoepeg. We had four people, four poles for 2-3 hours saturday & sunday running west of speelyai, staying on the north side of the lake near the two waterfalls.

No bites other than the ones we caught. I binoculared a boat netting 1 fish during that time, also using flashers. Caught one deeper @~50 & the other @~25. The fish finder didn't show nearly as many fish on ( >20 ) top as they did deeper ( 30-50 ). I think the water was 41-42 degrees with a lot of wood floating .

Try chasing the ones you cant see on the fish finder, "top 10 feet of water" they are usually the ones that want to play. At least until the water warms up.

Thumbs up Who says its to early?!

We have been able to fish every Sunday in February, although we went sturgeon fishing with our friend Cameron Black on the 3rd. On the 10th we were only able to catch 2 fish, I was hoping we would do better because we were planning on taking Gary Miralles (Shasta Tackle) and Justin Wolf (Angler West TV) out on the water on Monday if the fishing was good and shoot some video. (Yes I was going to miss school). February 17th we fished from 7:30 - 2pm. It was a long slow day, we didn't catch our first fish until 10:30, we lost our second fish at 11:30, and then we had a double shortly after 12:30 and a couple more shortly after that. We were sling blades and hoochies and my Kokanee killer lure, running them 5-10 feet deep.(5 fish total) February 24th was a whole different story (sort of) we started about 8 and it was slow like usual, we didn't start catching fish until about 10, we decided to move away from the crowd of boats and find a better spot. We found most of our fish out in the middle of the lake just west of Speelyai Bay, using the same pink hoochies and sling blades as before and my kokanee killer lure, which caught 3 fish that day! We ended up with 8 total but we had to leave at 2 so we didn't make it to our limit. March 3rd, I wasn't feeling very well (getting over the flu) but I cant resist a fishing day. Dad suggested that we go get some fresh air, it was a late start for fishing, we didn't get to the lake until almost 12pm and only fished until 3. We started fishing with the large group of boats across from Speelyai because we saw a boat with a net in the air and a double on. After about an hour with no fish we went down almost to the dam where we usually fish in the summer, our first pass we had a triple and we landed all of them, and we caught two more pretty quickly. We were testing a new lure from KokaneeKid fishing and we got one of our 5 on it, and 2 on the hoochie and sling blade and 2 on my kokanee killer lure with a watermelon sling blade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	5950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merwin 2-17-13.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	5951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	5952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	5953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	5954  

Last edited by Wild Child; 03-04-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    JR fisherman
    Shasta Tackle Pro Staff! Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

Good work Team Wild Child!!

Well just got home from the lake. Put in a LONNNNNGGGG day!!! Beautiful weather. No problems with boat. Great day for fishing poor day for catching LOL. I only manged to get 1 kokanee in the boat. I lost a couple others before they got in the net. It was a real slow day for everyone on the lake. I talked to atleast 10 other boats and they had same results.
    Grab yourself a Koke

I was out fri. the 2nd & Fri. the 9th and caught 2 on each day. Merwin is S L O W right now but it will get better soon!

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

fished Merwin 3/9 and it was slow 3 koks and a rainbow lost 3 others, all hit pink hoochies except one which hit a orange and white. Sling blades seemed to be the flasher of choice, no luck on lake trolls. It was great to out on the lake and the weather was fantastic! The bite will only get better from here.

I watched Angler West last night and the first clip was "Merwin in February". I don't know what year it was shot but the action was non stop! It sure looked like fun. What is the daily limit at Merwin?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I watched Angler West last night and the first clip was "Merwin in February". I don't know what year it was shot but the action was non stop! It sure looked like fun. What is the daily limit at Merwin?
    If it is the episode I am thinking about it, was filmed with Cameron Black (Goncatchin guide service). We were fishing pretty much right next to them as they were filming. Yes last year in February the fishing was a bit better than this year, right now the limit is 5 but I have heard rumors that it will go to 10 in May. I haven't read that officially yet, that is just what I am hearing.

Not rumor, the limit will go to 10 kokanee beginning May 1st.

Forgot to mention this ... anyone thinking of going to Merwin needs to use extra caution out on the water as there are large areas of floating logs and sticks right now, when calm it's fairly easy to see but when there is a slight chop on the water it gets to be a little more challenging. So if you're one of those folks that like to race up and down the lake a 12" kok is hardly worth losing a lower unit!

Fished Merwin yesterday with my friend Scott B. and Scott pulled in 5 & I caught my first since my surgery! They were all nice fish about 13-14" but not very fat!

We used R&K hoochies in the small & micro size also Shasta Wiggle hoochies in Pink & Chartuse colors. The day was cloudy & grey, the green colors worked well with
    Shasta Sling Blades in green & silver & the copper with green & copper with pink. Pink corn with Tuna oil worked very well. Water temp was 42 degrees and we moved around the Lake a lot for the first 2 but caught 4 between 12 & 2 along the north bank from the house's up to the waterfall before we had to leave.

It was a very good day, Kokonuts Watch for the floating logs!!
    Last edited by Kokonuts; 03-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

I trust every thing went well with your surgery. Good fishing to you.

My son and I are going a week from Monday. Hopefully the weather will be dry, I hate catching wet fish.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast