Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Wallowa Lake Report Thread.

Default 2013 Wallowa Lake Report Thread.

This lake is the current producer of the World Record Kokanee and several other records. "They" say this lake produces giant size kokanee in cycles. Will this be that year? And does size really matter when you are fishing as such a beautiful lake?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Heading up to Wallowa. Will post a report when I can. Hopefully after I catch the big one!!!!!!
    KokaneeGal

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaneegal View Post
    Heading up to Wallowa. Will post a report when I can. Hopefully after I catch the big one!!!!!!
    KokaneeGal
    Can't wait to hear your report when you get back. I moved my annual trip up a couple of weeks to June 1st this year. Please leave me at least one big one.

Mackayguy, You won't want to hear this but fishing is horrible. We have been here almost a week and have no keepers. We have caught 2 rainbow (10" & 15") and 2 Kokanee (6"). we are after Koks only. We come here every year and this is unusual. We aren't even having any bites. we can see schools of fish all over but they are not biting. Hope you have better luck than us. No worries, I left you lots of fish!!!!!!
    KokaneeGal

Oh no!!!!! That's not a good sign. I was hoping to hear you were knocking 'em dead up there. I'm still going....things may change by the first of June.....and if not it's always a beautiful view.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    Oh no!!!!! That's not a good sign. I was hoping to hear you were knocking 'em dead up there. I'm still going....things may change by the first of June.....and if not it's always a beautiful view.
    Today is our last day. If nothing else, I got a good tan!!!!

How's the new boat treating you?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    How's the new boat treating you?
    We love our new Hughes. Great size and handles well. Too bad it doesn't catch any fish at Wallowa!!!!!

Since it is a new boat to you, be sure to do a hot boat test on it!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

A biologist from that area gave a presentation in Bend this winter and said the lake has moved "back" to a more normal state. That state is lots of kokanee and less mysis shrimp. The conditions that produced the large kokanee has past; reduced kokanee population and higher shrimp numbers. Based on that I would suspect small fish to be normal. Not there there will not be large fish, but they are likely to be few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriverguy View Post
    Based on that I would suspect small fish to be normal.
    Now you tell me! I've going for a week the beginning of July. I guess I'll bring a deck of cards.

calamari, and don't forget the sunscreen!!

K_gal, I hope the weather is reasonable. I scheduled it later than prime time because of last years bad June weather. My week there will be perfect...if it was last year. 6" kokanee will be hard to take after a 700 mile drive however.

If you are lucky you may catch a 6" kok!!!! We went days without a bite.

OUCH! I guess we can always BBQ steaks and just appreciate the situation.

Ouch.....stop! You're bumming me out. I'm thinking about cancelling my trip and heading elsewhere. BUT.....I, like everyother fishing person (see how I included ladies in that statement), just know they can catch fish even when other (skilled) folks are not.

I truly wish both you guys luck. I would love nothing better than to read your report that the fishing gets better. This was one of our favorite annual trips. Breaks my heart to think we may not be able to return soon.

Kokanee limit at Wallowa Lake has been raised to 20 fish per day with two day possession limit. According to Jeff Yenke, fish bio in Enterprise, the population has gone from 70,000 kokes in 2008 to over 900,000 this year. Not any size to the fish, but at least you can catch enough to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpler View Post
    Kokanee limit at Wallowa Lake has been raised to 20 fish per day with two day possession limit. According to Jeff Yenke, fish bio in Enterprise, the population has gone from 70,000 kokes in 2008 to over 900,000 this year. Not any size to the fish, but at least you can catch enough to make it worthwhile.
    This sounds like when Brook Trout get over populated and they get stunted. Everyone would be doing the fishery a favor by keeping their limit and not keeping any Lake Trout until the population gets smaller.

Hate reading this report! Will be leaving Arizona soon with destination of Wallowa Lake from June 14-21. It is a annual family campout with 8 or 9 families so still will be a good time BUT I was sure hoping to read some more upbeat fishing reports. I am going to be there for a week, does anyone know of any other options around Joseph for fishing?
    16' Lund Rebel, 50 HP Merc 4 stroke tiller, Lowrance MCX-17 Graph w/mapping,speed,gps, Elec trolling motor.

Here at Wallowa......first drop of the down rigger this morning immediately hooked a 20" koke. They're in here. Wind came up so waiting for it to die down.

Nice going MackayGuy!
    Whenever I'm in the piney woods and the wind blows I always think about Clint Eastwood in, "Paint Your Wagoin" singing "They Call The Wind Mariah." NO, I don't know any other show tunes! It's just the movie was set in the Sierra Nevadas where I live and it always blows in the afternoon in the Nat'l Forest. I hope it lays down for you so you can fish...and no thunder storms in the afternoon.
    I bet the PMs are 'aflying.
    Last edited by calamari; 06-02-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    Here at Wallowa......first drop of the down rigger this morning immediately hooked a 20" koke. They're in here. Wind came up so waiting for it to die down.
    Nice.......
    16' Lund Rebel, 50 HP Merc 4 stroke tiller, Lowrance MCX-17 Graph w/mapping,speed,gps, Elec trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by calamari View Post
    Nice going MackayGuy!
    Whenever I'm in the piney woods and the wind blows I always think about Clint Eastwood in, "Paint Your Wagoin" singing "They Call The Wind Mariah." NO, I don't know any other show tunes! It's just the movie was set in the Sierra Nevadas where I live and it always blows in the afternoon in the Nat'l Forest. I hope it lays down for you so you can fish...and no thunder storms in the afternoon.
    I bet the PMs are 'aflying.
    I hate to be nit picky, but I got to stand up for my state! Paint your wagon was filmed in Oregon, may have been "set" in the Sierra Nevada but the scenery came from good old Oregon.

http://www.oregonicons.com/paintyourwagon.htm
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    I hate to be nit picky, but I got to stand up for my state! Paint your wagon was filmed in Oregon, may have been "set" in the Sierra Nevada but the scenery came from good old Oregon.
    http://www.oregonicons.com/paintyourwagon.htm
    Most but not all. Once you get above 3,000' on the West coast, lots of places look like lots of places.
    Paint Your Wagon was shot near Baker City, Oregon with filming beginning in May 1968 and ending in October.[2] Other locations include Big Bear Lake, California and San Bernardino National Forest;
    Last edited by calamari; 06-04-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast