Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Wickiup Reservoir Thread

Default 2013 Wickiup Reservoir Thread

Wickiup had a great finish last year with large fish, lets pray they will be even bigger this year.

Opening is April 27 and it sounds like it just may be a little crowded out there.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Great Opener on the lake!!! Launched about 5:30AM with son and 5 year old grandson; temp at lake was 25 degrees; water smooth; fish were on fire until sun was up a bit!!!! Although bite slowed a bit as sun rose higher, there was action throughout the morning! Came in around 1 PM as the wind started to pick up with 31 kokanee onboard, sunny skies, and a temp of 68 degrees!!!

We had a great opening day at Wickiup, along with a couple hundred other folks. The wife and I got there on Friday and it was frustrating to look out on that lake and not be able to be fishing.

I got a call Friday from fallriverguy and his fishing partner was not going to be able to make it so he invited us to join him in his boat on Saturday. We really appreciated the hospitality and learned a great deal about how and where to fish Wickiup.

The daybreak bite was HOT! Then it started slowing down, and getting crowded at the same time. We were in the Davis arm to start but about 0730 decided to leave the flotilla and find less crowded territory. At one point I lost track counting boats surrounding us at 45. It looked like everyone was having a good time and nets were flying.

Colors of the day were the standard oranges and pinks, with a little white and chartreuse thrown in here and there. Long lining was the way to go until about 0930 when the fish headed to the bottom then the downriggers got a workout.

The morning had started out calm and beautiful but we finally got blown off the lake at noon. We ended up with 26 from about 12 to 17 inches, but we heard of some larger ones being netted.

Overall a fantastic day, I only wish we could not have stayed the entire weekend.

P.S. I had two separate contacts with Dep. Wells of the Sheriff's office and he was really a pleasure to talk with. He has great sense of humor and really understood how to deal with the citizens. He was fine representative of the Sheriff's office.
    Last edited by DLM; 04-29-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Breakfast this morning courtesy of Wickiup.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frying Breakfast.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	6173
    David

I was out on the lake both days this past weekend and you're right the bite was hot very early on and then just died. Saturday was way more crowded than Sunday was. Last year I had several fish that were right at 2 lbs, this year (at least so far) I didn't seen anything bigger than 1 1/2 lbs. I was using mostly dark colors, in fact we had more take downs using black wedding ring behind a dodger than any other combination. In any event it was great to be out on the lake and hope that the action remains good throughout the season.

Dr. Matt

Finished with ten, just me and my hound and lost just as many. Biggest was 17" and only caught one all day under 13". Great opening day! Fish were real fiesty. All my fish were caught on riggers at five feet for the rediculously hot morning bite and after 10:00 found them at 10-27'. Wind was heavy but helped the afternoon bite. I'm really hoping this doesn't ruin it for me when I go back to green peter. Lol. http://s1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps351b8e1d.jpg.
    http://s1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5fda987f.jpg

And by the way, I'm pretty sure I lost the fish of a lifetime. Got it to the boat and got a good look at wat looked like to me a 20"+ fish. It made a big run peeling off 20' or so of line and snap! I sat in the boat for five minutes shaking from the adrenaline cussing to myself

Hey rainORsnow1 - keep your head up I had that same experience two years ago fishing for bass on Prineville... it still hurts but I keep going back

Three of us fished Saturday 5/4. The calm in the morning was a nice surprise as the forecast called for substantial wind right out of the chute. R&K and Paulina Peak Tackle microhoochies behind chrome or gold dodgers were good early. I tried a FWG White Lightening for the first time and it proved to be solid all day long. Once the wind kick-up it became a spinner bite. Joe had a custom spinner from Paulina Peak Tackle that was on fire. I also tried for the first time a dodger-spinner combination from Father Murphy and it was a consistent producer.

With the wind I was glad I had a good crew with me. It was so bumpy that my transom fish box became a de-scaler. With a NE wind we were able to get a nice long wind drift going across the Deschutes channel and into the Davis arm.

The fish are very small this year and there appears to be lots of them. Most of the fish were between 13 and 15 inches with a few larger. We might have landed 50% of our hits, but I don't think we were that successful. There was lots of action and the bite was fairly consistent all day.

My grandson and I fished Saturday only starting 0 dark 30. Bite was on for a while then is slowed way down and finally halted as the sun came up higher and the lake got flat as a pancake. Oh ya, there was a bug or two around. I wish there would have been any kind of a breeze to move them.

Towards the end it got slower and slower and finally from 0900 to 1000 there were no bites not matter what we offered them so we decided to call it a day.

We finished with 14 and yes the kid out fished me again. Nothing really big but all were fat and sassy. We surprisingly lost very few, one at the boat, maybe three on the way to the boat and a few drive buys that never stuck. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05-11-13 001 sized.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	6233
    David

Had some friends fish this weekend also the message was the same. DLM /you sure need that chop on the water. Heading up memorial weekend try my luck.

That chop really helped the afternoon bite on opening day.
    I'll be up there memorial weekend as well. If anybody sees me feel free to come say hi. I'd love to trade tips with my fellow koke heads.
    I'll be in the green StarCraft with the hound and my silver ford with the funny looking red canopy. Good luck out there guys!

I will look for you on memorial day weekend/seen a hound in a rig on the opener but didn't notice anyone around the dog. Got some mix reports got some friends going up wednesday fishing to Saturday show have a good report from what I heard the fish are still very good size

If it was a black coon hound by the launch east of gull point that was definitely me. Little turd chewed through her leash the first night so I had to use my lead for my boat as a make shift leash while I used the restroom. Had her tied up outside the fish cleaning station as well while I cleaned my catch.

ill be up there for sure, ill fish it in the mornings then pull out and head over to davis for ditch pickle bass fishing... if ya see a OD green riverhawk boat with a pair of suzukis hanging off the back, say howdy..

I was out this morning at first light. My buddy and I ended up with 7. We lost a few and had some take downs. It all happened pretty early, soon as the fog blew off so did the bite. The fish are being difficult. I hope it picks up!!

Was out both days this weekend. Three of us landed 23 on Saturday morning and then another buddy and I got 15 on Sunday morning. The first light bite was great but only lasted about 25 minutes by Sunday morning.

I was also out on Sunday and couldn't agree more the bite was really hot for about a 45 minute window and then went to nothing... seems to be the pattern thus far. I did hook one Koke that was over 2lbs. not quite the biggest I've taken from Wickiup but really close.

Just spent a week at Wickiup. Fishing was pretty good for us. We caught several 17 and 18 inch Koks. Many cookie cutter 14 inch. All were fat. Fish starting to school up.

How are the fish tasting? A friend said his were starting to taste muddy.

Haven't eaten any yet!!!! Freezing most.

The fish at Wickiup should be great until the first part of July... I ate some from a couple weeks ago and they are still in excellent shape.

Fish On kokaneekid.

Just ate one last night. It was very good and tastey!!!!

We had fish a couple times in camp last week and they tasted great.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Manipulator View Post
    How are the fish tasting? A friend said his were starting to taste muddy.
    The ones I caught were great tasting. I haven't ate any mud so not sure what that tastes like.

They all have a horrible taste. I wouldn't fish this lake anymore this year. The bigger and harder fighting the fish is the worse it tastes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast