Thread: Shoe Peg Corn

Unhappy Shoe Peg Corn

I have a question for all you folks that use shoe peg corn, specifically the Jolly Green Giant brand: Is it just me or is this company just putting in smaller conventional white corn kernels in their shoe peg cans?

Over the years I have always covered the hooks with my doctored up version of shoe peg corn (one large kernel per hook). The stuff I'm getting now is small and worthless.

Is there anybody out there on the Forum that can direct me to another brand of shoe peg?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

There is variability from can to can. I'm not seeing any less of the kernels that I prefer and haven't seen any lack of results either. This may vary from lake to lake however.
    K

What I have noticed is the small discount cans at places like Wal Mart and Big Lots must be running second grade corn. There is a big difference in the quality of that corn and the regular size can of shoe peg I buy at Safeway for $2.50/can.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I agree with Kelson. There is a variety of kernel sizes in the can. I bought 24 cans at Big Lots and don't see,smell or taste any difference. A buddy of mine has bought Fred Meyer brand and says it works just as well. I think a lot of us marinate the corn in our preferred scent/s.

Fred Meyer has shoepeg corn? I have only seen Green Giant there.
    "The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."

I noticed the trip before last my wife picked up the short cans of corn (she couldn't find the big can) and there was a large percentage of halves, pieces, and small cornels with size all over the scale, it all fished good but I found my self digging for the right size piece, the big cans I got from the restaurant supply where I get my meat had more uniform cornels with very few chunks and little pieces (the first one any how), I am using the big cans (16oz) and it may be a coincidence but I will see what the next can brings. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

I notice a variety of corn quality in the big cans too. It seems to be hit or miss when I buy.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk