Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does kokanee fishing start in california

Default When does kokanee fishing start in california

I'm feeling the urge to do some fishing. Where I usually go here in Oregon it won't be good for a while yet. If I wanted to make a trip to California where and when would it be good? Any tips?

It depends on if you are into numbers or size. Guys are already catching Kokes in Pardee Res. but they are 9" - 11" long. For size, I think Berryessa puts out some of the biggest kokes in our state. The light switch just hasn't flipped on them yet. It has been a cold winter and the water temps are still a little cold. I'm guessing another month on this lake to start going off. New Melones is also a numbers lakes with smaller fish.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I would like to see Berryessa. I've never been there, but I guess I should hold up a little longer. Since I will need to plan ahead for a trip like that, would mid April be a good time? Any suggestions for camping with an RV with boat ramps and docks?

I have been on Shasta a few times in a house boat and the family, but we where'nt fishing at the time, does anyone know about Kokanee there?

Thanks
    Bob

goberryessa.com has alot of information

No Kokes in Shasta but big Kings and Rainbows. The closest Koke lake to Shasta is Whiskeytown and it was pretty miserable last year. I really hope it rebounds this year because it is so beautiful there. I've got reservations there for the end of May.

The best/only place to really camp at Berryessa is Pleasure Cove. Mid April should be a good time to come.

Nice part about Berryessa is you can make it a wine country vacation also. The Napa Valley is beautiful in the spring.
    From my house, I can be at any winery in 15 minutes or at the boat launch in 35.
    Last edited by T K; 02-23-2013 at 02:34 AM.

what i noticed in the past from Berry is that it usually doesn't start getting good for Kokanee until Jun. April is good for the kings though.

Yesterday I wentout to Berryessa. Got in the water at about 10 am. Shot over to the dam area. Stopped the boat and started rigging up. Fish jumped right behind me. Drug a set of Vance's flashers with a green tiger Sockeye Slammer with garlic corn about 95 feet back on top. Then sent a gold/red Cripple lure behind a dodger down to about 20 ft with the downrigger. At almost 1pm got hit on the top line rig. Reeled in to my surprise a nice 14" Koke. Thought for sure it was a trout.
    Fished jumped behind the boat all day but just couldn't seem to get them to bite. Oh well, dinner for one.
    So, the Kokes are out there.

I'm still thinking about making a trip down to Berryessa from Oregon so I was doing some research online about the boat ramps and campgrounds etc. It sounds like some of the places are closed down for now, not sure why. Pleasure cove is open I guess, but doesn't have the best reviews online. Can anyone add any info about what is going on there?

What are the best areas in the lake to find the Kokanee or are they spread out all over?

TK you had mentioned that we could combine a trip into wine country with our fishing trip. So from the lake to wine country would it be less than an hour?

Thanks for the help. I'll be watching the forum for some good fishing reports.

Kokanut, here is what I know. I may not have all the facts exact but in a nut shell it's what is going on.
    Berryessa and the land around is owned by the government. There were a few marinas and resorts operating there and had been for many years. Problem was it was starting to become a magnet for riff raff. Trailer homes were all over, some pumping raw sewage into the lake. Drugs, weekend partyers, just not looking good in general. So, when a few years ago all the leases were up the powers that be started kicking everyone out. I for one was happy about this. Get em all out! They are now looking for some big time contractors or investers to come in and build some nice marinas, camp grounds and resorts. That would be a beautiful thing. Problem is the economy is still a bit slow so it's just not happening. Two of the marinas however were let be. I guess because they were kept up. Pleasure cove as you mentioned and Markely cove. I would suggest Markely cove. They have cabins you can rent.It is right by the dam and that is where some of the good Koke fishing is as far as I know. Later in the summer the main body of the lake is where they are. Down deep.
    Berryessa is in Napa Co. and you are less than an hour drive down the hill (maybe 35 min.) to the Napa Valley. You can take Monticello road from the lake right into Napa or you can take (I think) Chiles Pope Valley Road down and end up in St. Helena on the Silverado trail.
    Hope this helps. I've lived in Napa most of my life so feel free to ask me any questions.
    Last edited by T K; 03-03-2013 at 05:40 PM.

The Berry threw another shutout at a very good fisherman yesterday. The fact that the Rainbows aren't out in numbers to play is making for a real head scratcher. A lot of the traditional Koke spots have all been named with nicknames. Skiers Cove, Ranch House, The Big Island, not a long ride from Pleasure Cove at all. Kokanut, depending on your dates, we could possibly find a way to get out there and shown you around.

Thankyou to both TK and SuperD for the info. I may well have more questions. I hope the fishing picks up soon. If I come down it probably wont be before late April or early May. Hopefully the bite will be on by then. I'll keep watching for the reports to start coming in. I had looked at the websites for both Pleasure cove and Markely. I'm looking for a place to park a motor home. Unless I missed it, It didnt look like Markely had RV camping. I guess depending on how much gas I would save by leaving the motor home at home, maybe I could rent a cabin instead.

Thanks again for the replys
    Kokanut

Kokanut, I have a good friend that has his boat moored at Markley. I'll ask him about camping. Or I may just launch there next time myself and check it out. I see they have a $20 launch fee. I have been launching at the free launch at Cappel Cove but it is about a 10 minute ride to the dam area. I may check out Pleasure cove and it's amenities too. I have heard there is still some camping there at the lake somewhere, but with a motor home, once you get your boat in the water you kind of need to keep it there right?
    I'll gladly do some more reserch for you and report back.

Super D, where do you launch out of? I'm curious.
    Last edited by T K; 03-03-2013 at 10:54 PM.

I launch out of Markley. Pleasure Cove has okay RV sites and they have boat slips, or at least they did the last time I was there. Markley has a sign up about cabins but no campsites available.

Hey Super D, if you ever need a co-pilot for the day let me know. I'm always into learning what other people are doing.

After a little Berry excusion today, I think the class of Koke at Berry this year is going to be a little different than what we've been used to the last few years. Kokefiend and I hit the water and were headed to the main lake about 7:00 straight up. There was quite a crowd at the ramp which I didn't expect to see this early since folks hadn't been catching anything. First fish came quickly at approx. 10' on purple. Carl had a fish on right after that but turned into an LDR. From there, we went hours with very little to show and then the bite went on for us late and we finished with a flurry. Pink was the ultimate color of the day. And 10' - 17' was the best depths. We ended the day with 6 kokes to 14.5" and 4 rainbows. We released 3 rainbows and lost about the same number of kokes. So, it was a pretty good day overall.

These are the kokes we caught on Thursday the 14th.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Wow! Glad to see you guys hooking up.
    The wife had a great idea today to go out in the boat. She and the kids (2 and 3 years old) have never been in my boat.
    Wanted to go to Berryessa but thought the twisty road might be too much for the kids, so we decided to go to Hennessey insted. A bit closer and an easy ride.
    I had no idea how long the kids would last in the boat but they did me proud. 3 plus hours and still wanted to stay in the water.
    I drug some gear while we cruised around not expecting to catch much. Focusing more on the kids first time in a boat.
    On the way back to the dock at about 3pm, wham! Fish on! My wifes first time on the net was a bit shakey. Took 6 tries to get him. He kept running every time he got close.
    We had an awsome time and it will be the first of many family fishing trips. My wife is, for lack of better words, "hooked" on fishing and my daughter (3) kept saying in her bath tonight,( "fish on!") and I couldn't be happier.

Hey Super Dave, that crowd might have been due too the fact that I saw that the DFG was planting today. Also they planted the last couple of weekends too.
    And I like those fish hangers you got there. Did you have those made or can one get those somewhere? I'd like to get something like that for the kids. It would be fun to see them holding them up with their catches throughout the years.

TK, I had been wanting a nice limit stick and had the idea for this design in my head. I made contact with one of the metal sign makers you see at craft fairs and he put it all together for me. A piece of pipe, bike hand grips and the fish cut out with the plasma cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    TK, I had been wanting a nice limit stick and had the idea for this design in my head. I made contact with one of the metal sign makers you see at craft fairs and he put it all together for me. A piece of pipe, bike hand grips and the fish cut out with the plasma cutter.
    Airbrush some paint on your limit stick would make it colorful and further stand out.

It's powder coated blue and silver like my boat. That not colorful enough?

Last year they started early, around the end of march. I've read a few reports of 14" to 16" koke already. I'll be going out this Thursday to Berryessa and let you know.

yakman, wear your rain gear! It is supposed to be wet Thursday.

I heard the same thing. Unless it changes it could turn into a Friday trip. Not much cover in a Kayak. Good looking out, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast