Thread: Reminded of why I love fishing

Default Reminded of why I love fishing

Yesterday I had the good fortune to have snuck out of the house before daylight and headed to the river to try for some early chinook action. It was overcast, and the flow on the little river was twice the normal, running near 9000cfs. Although the conditions were less than ideal I was determined to enjoy some time away from work, and my wife had given me a charge to "bring home some dinner for a new diet I(she) saw in a magazine."

Now, for the record I did offer to get some kokes at Merwin, but she was specific for "big salmon." Even the guy at Harpers said "don't waste your time on the river, the fish aren't showing up yet."

So, the morning went slowly along. Me tossing a bobber and jig watching the plunkers down the beach asleep in their chairs waiting for their bells to ring. About 8:00 I decided to switch tactics and tied on my drifting gear to head to a new spot.

Another hour or so passed feeling the tap, tap, tap of each cast as the sinker bounced along the bottom. Nobody was having any luck, and I'd only seen one fish cruise by in the ripples. The only other person around now was a gentleman who decided to go for a drive and was sitting there watching me fish as his dog ran along the shoreline. Then, I was reminded why I love fishing.

Cast. Tap, tap, tapatap...Wham! In my focus on reading the tapping and enjoying the sun peeking through the clouds my rod tip doubled over, the drag screamed as I tightened my grip and then, nothing. I was left looking at the rod in my hand and thinking of how fast the fist had struck. Of course, I quickly regained the casting regimine, but never did get "the big one" to strike. This is why us crazy fishermen spend our money on tackle we will lose, get up earlier on our days off than on a workday, and follow the definition of insanity by trying the same thing over and over with the hope of different results.

You may be wondering about our dinner. Well, we had salmon. It wasn't from yesterday, but as a sportsman I always seem to have food to put on the table. And yes, I will go out again, by boat or by land and wait for the stirke of a fish big or small.

Tight lines- Mack
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Very well written! This is why we all do this crazy thing called fishing! Thanks for taking the time to put that down!
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Default Nice writeup

Nice write up. I think we have all had those moments.