Thread: portable fishfinder

Default portable fishfinder

My big boat is set up pretty well for a fishfinder but sometimes I like to hang the 12 ft portabote and 4hp yammy on the truck camper and poke around back country isolated lakes. I need a portable (clamp on ) type of fishfinder and transducer that I can move between the PB and an alum 14 ft bass boat. Any sugestions for a reliable and accurate unit??

Are you committed to the clamp on like fishin buddy type or would you be open to something like this with a suction cup transducer?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowra...h-All+Products
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

do the suction cups stay put?, I'm not adverse to any style as long as it can be mounted, turned on and not be a hassle to keep in place. B&W is ok and battery life matters, although a trolling motor 12 volt is always available

Default Portable FF

I used a sixpack cooler and a small gel 12 volt battery to make my fishfinder portable so I could use it on my boat (pelican bayou) or when ice fishing. I rigged a small bolt with a wing nut up thru the middle of the cooler lid. I can store the fishfinder in the cooler and then attach it to the lid when fishing. I mounted my transducer on a piece of pvc tube that I could attach to my boat or to a pvc T for ice fishing, but there are several clamp on and suction cup mounts for transducers available thru cabelas, wholesale sports, etc.

anyone have experiance with hummer 160 portable or garmin 80??

Default Making permanent portable

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    I used a sixpack cooler and a small gel 12 volt battery to make my fishfinder portable so I could use it on my boat (pelican bayou) or when ice fishing. I rigged a small bolt with a wing nut up thru the middle of the cooler lid. I can store the fishfinder in the cooler and then attach it to the lid when fishing. I mounted my transducer on a piece of pvc tube that I could attach to my boat or to a pvc T for ice fishing, but there are several clamp on and suction cup mounts for transducers available thru cabelas, wholesale sports, etc.

We did something with the same idea. It is an Eagle mangna 2. The transducer is bolted on a small piece of wood that I use a c-clamp to attach to the edge of the boat and the main part stays in the boat where ever I want to put it.

The suction cups do not hold well and we tried it on an old town canoe with fairly smooth sides.That brought us to a clamp on model from cabela's but the options here also sound good. Bob R

Ralph,
    Here is my solution for an affordable portable unit. I took an Eagle 245DS($79), mounted it to an Ikea plastic box ($3), use a rechargable 12v($20), and clamp the transducer on with a transom bracket ($20).
    It has worked well for over three years now, and the box holds tight to the bench seat in my aluminum boat with a bungee. No holes in the boat, it is on/off in under a minute, and the battery box holds extra lines/tools.

-Mack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	3691  
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!