Thread: Crappie Tubes as a Hoochie?

Default Crappie Tubes as a Hoochie?

With crappie tubes at a buck for a pack of 10, do you guys use a lot of them in your arsenal? I figured they are essentially a RGT tube. I've been seeing a lot of great colors and metal flake finishes. I bought a half dozen different color combos this weekend and plan on putting some little blades in front of them. I was curious to see how many of you have been fishing them as one of your regular "go tos".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stuff.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	3620  
    Last edited by SuperD; 04-23-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Small Size Tubes

Dave, I've been using them the last couple of years in some of my "STUFF"!
    They work well alone with a couple small beads or a small blade in front & they are small enough to put inside a regular Hoochie for more color or double them up one in front of another, so just play around with them and you just might come up with a new Go To Lure!

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Tied these recently but haven't gotten them wet yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue1.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	3621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue3.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	3622  

SuperD,the tubes have been my "hoochies" for several years. We've caught trout,walleyes, kokes ,rockbass etc.on them . Like you said cheap and lots of colors.We can't get hoochies here in NC and they're too spensive to order. TM

I do the same I use the hustlers in Glow chartreuse and the Pink with the gray glitter head and they work the best for me. I even draw eyes on them, I’ll have to post some pics in the next few days or so. I agree there cheap as heck, I started out using them steelhead fishing in the rivers coming out of Lake Ontario, NY when I was stationed at FT Drum, NY. I was using salmon eggs sacs and was running low and I had lots of crappie tube jigs in the truck, being from Texas so I tied a couple on and fish on one after another with chartreuse. These tube jigs have so many ways to use them to catch fish, there always in my tackle box.

SuperD those are nice looking!

I have never had any luck with them. I dont know why but a true hoochie always out produces a crappie jig for me. In fact its so bad that I have never caught a koke on one yet. So this winter I took them all apart and salvaged the hooks. I dont understand it as I have friends that swear by them.

Makes me wonder.

Nice looking rigging superD.
    Last edited by fishslayer13; 04-23-2012 at 08:55 PM.

In my top picture, I'm really interested in trying the purple/black one after the thread we had on black lures. If you look in the upper righthand corner of the picture you will see a pack called, "minnow tube". I've already caught fish on those. I bought packages of white bodies and have been dipping them in Spike It.

Dave,

Never done real good on them at our Calif lakes but that similar blue with a copper blade produced real well at the Gorge.

I think that blue will do very well at Berryessa later in the year when the fish drop down.

Greg

I use them too. The price is good for a small package. A watermelon flavor makes a very good color scheme. Cabelas carries a walleye bead package that has 5 different colors @ 2 different sizes for each color.

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    I use them too. The price is good for a small package. A watermelon flavor makes a very good color scheme. Cabelas carries a walleye bead package that has 5 different colors @ 2 different sizes for each color.
    Cabelas actually carries two different Walleye Bead assortments. 1 is 1000 beads (six colors, two sizes) and the other is 3000 beads (10 colors, two sizes). Cheapest way to get beads I've found.

I have two colors already mentioned 2" same brand as shown that are my two first out on one lake I do very well on...Will keep looking for the minnows they may work nice for the trout that was swallowing minnows around me at work all afternoon TL

Crappie tubes out produced hootchies this past weekend on the trout population. The first fish on a tube made me feel good and the rest of the fish just made me excited about making some more.