Thread: blade style

Default blade style

On wedding ring style spinners is there any real difference between the colorado or indiana style blades?? Just noticed that Macks lures uses an indianna shape but I always used smaller (#3) colorado because of the color choices. At 1.5 mph,, does it really matter or are we picking nits???

RalphL there is a big different with different blade choices vibration/speed/flash even size I guess its trial and era. see what works for you. I've notice different lakes take different medicine, I switch over to diamond pattern Indiana blades, in silver,gold, half and half/ and found excellent results in sizes two and threes. I found excellent results with willow blades in lakes that have blue water like Cresent Lake and Wallolla why I have no idea ?The answer to your question is yes

From what I understand willow leaf blades put out the most of flash. Colorado blades move the most water with more thump/vibration and less flash. Indiana blades are a half-way point between the flash of a willow blade and the thump of a Colorado. I've read the bead colors show up the best with Dakota blades.

My on blades or tackle in general is that each of us fishes just a little bit differently. I have lures that work very well for me but maybe one of my buddies says doesn't work for him. And definitely vice versa because I know there are lures a lot of guys swear by but don't produce well for me. That tells me that little nuances in our style make as much of a difference as the tackle design itself.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Kokanee-Toni this is a performance guideline what spinner blades are designed for Colorado Blade running dept, shallow/rotation poor, rotation (degrees) 60 Visibility from side poor/front to back good, water resistance high /sound high/Rotation speed slow Sound frequency, low. Willowleaf running dept, deep, Rotation (degrees) 30 Visibility from side good,front to back, poor,water resistance, low/ Vibration sound, low /Rotation speed, fast Sound frequency HIGH. Indiana Blade Running dept,medium / Rotation (degrees) 45 / Visibility from side, fair/front to back, fair/ Water resistance medium/ Vibration sound, medium/Rotation speed, medium/ Sound frequency medium. there are other just an example

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Kokanee-Toni this is a performance guideline what spinner blades are designed for Colorado Blade running dept, shallow/rotation poor, rotation (degrees) 60 Visibility from side poor/front to back good, water resistance high /sound high/Rotation speed slow Sound frequency, low. Willowleaf running dept, deep, Rotation (degrees) 30 Visibility from side good,front to back, poor,water resistance, low/ Vibration sound, low /Rotation speed, fast Sound frequency HIGH. Indiana Blade Running dept,medium / Rotation (degrees) 45 / Visibility from side, fair/front to back, fair/ Water resistance medium/ Vibration sound, medium/Rotation speed, medium/ Sound frequency medium. there are other just an example
    what study makes these claims, how were these speeds measured,how was the front side rear etc visability quantified. Claims like this can only be made from a major(read$$$$) study and if thats so, who did it and where are the results???? So much of what we are told is gospel in the world of hunting and fishing turns out not to stand up when poked a bit. Where does this info come from??

Mike, sorry if that sounds like I dont put stock in what you are saying, no offense meant or intended, just always wonder about the source of hard data like that

Some of that info can be seen by observation. A willow leaf blade like a rooster tail looks silver from the side since the blade lays close to the body. The resistance is low, sometimes I need to kick start the spin at slow speeds.
    I think the 'depth' info refers to resistance. When casting a large round Colorado blade, it is really difficult to fish it deep in current or retrieving fast.
    Ford Fender trolls work well at very slow speeds (flatfish for trout) but have a lot of drag at faster speeds. Willow leaf type trolls seem to have less drag at faster speeds.
    Norm

RalphL&Fishdork the answer to your question is LakeLand Spinner Blade Performance Guidelines. there statistics. you don't have to believe it. French Blade Running dept shallow/Rotation degrees, 45 Visibility from the side fair/front to back, fair/Water resistance,low/Vibration sound,low/med/Rotation speed, medium/Sound frequency,medium.

Mike my apologies for doubting,, go to the Lakeland Spinner blade website, download pg 240, of the catalogue, and there is the exact chart your referancing.. Pardon me while I pull my head out of my ....

RalphL GLAD i COULD HELP

Got page 240, it would be interesting to hear their definition of "vibration sound" and "sound Frequency". By vibration sound, are they referring to pitch or volume. And by sound frequency, are they talking how often sound is emitted or the actual pitch.

The example is the willowleaf. They suggest it has a low vibration sound, which I feel would be correct for a larger blade like this. But for sound frequency they list it as "high". This makes me believe that they are not talking about actual pitch, as the smaller the blade the higher the pitch.

I'm no expert, just my based on what I have read.

Sometimes words are not used in the way they are most commonly defined....
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

My fishing experience and somewhat limited mechanical knowledge leads me to agree with MrMike. Watch the various spinner blades in the water at trolling speed along side the boat. The closer to round the blade is (colorado style) the wider it tends to rotate on the clevis. The narrower the blade (true willow leaf) the closer it tends to spin around the spinner body. The more it flares the more it stands to reason that the reflection will project more to the front and rear of the spinner. At a given size each blade has approximately the same surface area. So it seems to me, the narrower the blade the more side flash will be produced.
    I use willow blades much of the time. They just seem to work better on average in my home lakes. But they can be hard to spin at slower speeds. I have to drop my spinner beaded bodies down in diameter to keep the narrow spinning angle of the blade from dragging on them. Anywayjust my .
    At leaste it;s getting warmer.
    Fish On, K

Since I'm a stubborn son of a gun, I like to occassionally fish with a guy that uses different blades so I can evaluate what they like versus what I like. Some times I'm converted and some times I'm reassured in my personal choices.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

well, to further stir the pot, one has high front to back visibility, and the other is more visable side to side ,one spins 60 degrees off the line and the other at 45 degrees off the line. One is apparently noisier than the other Soooo---- do koke like the noise, track the lure from the back or the side and does 15 degrees of difference on the line matter?? Do we even know or is it all just fodder for cabin fever. This year I will take my most consistant double whammy pattern, pull the indianna Mack supplies with them, replace with an similar Colorado and fish them side by side. Be interesting too see.