Thread: Downrigger for Pontoon boat

Thumbs down Downrigger for Pontoon boat

I have a pontoon boat (22ft) that I would like to add downriggers on for Kokanee fishing. Has anyone done that and looking for suggestions. thanks

I had a 20 foot pontoon and mounted two scottys on 13 in. seat bases, I also cut a hole in the middle of the floor and put a 50 thrust minn kota just ahead of the main motor I could control it from the drivers seat and use the main motor for a rudder. I sure do miss that boat. I hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by RickM View Post
    I have a pontoon boat (22ft) that I would like to add downriggers on for Kokanee fishing. Has anyone done that and looking for suggestions. thanks
    let me dig out thi pics of my dr mod and get them posted..

From the stand point of steering in a wind, I would mount the trolling motor on the bow. It will have to be off center, as you don't want to hit the winch stand on the trailer.You can't push a rope, but you can pull it. Want to make it easy, get a remote control electric bow mount motor. They even make remote control bow mount anchors.

depending on how big of downriggers you plan on mounting, the V-Lock mounts have been rock solid on everything I've used them on. Here is a rail mount application if you have rail in locations where you would like downriggers.

http://store.v-lock.com/collections/...rail-mount-kit
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Pontoon mounts

These pictures are off my boat in Texas and I found a couple of photo’s of how me and a buddy came up with mounting riggers on a old pontoon boat, we mounted four cannons on the boat with swivel bases. We used treated 2x6’s and used galvanized piping to stabilize it and mounted to the floor I don’t have photo’s of the pipe mounts though. This was a pontoon that had all the couches and stuff by they were gutted off and this was converted into a strictly fishing rig which we trolled for Hybrids and Stripers. These were the best photo's I could find showing the setup, Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0650 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1193 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	3366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0648.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	3367  

--Scotties and others have rail mount kit... this would allow you to move position if you don't like original. Some universal style allow substitution of rod holders etc. to same mounting kit

This is what I did to my boat...works very well for us. Hope it gives you an idea for your boat's configuration. My posts/pics are toward the bottom of the first page of the below link.

Thanks,
    Bob

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...ead.php?t=3275

Here are some pics of the downrigger mount on the modified fishing platform off the stern, as well as a couple of the Powr Tran Toon Kicker bracket. These are the best I've got until I uncover the boat and get some tighter pictures, but they should give you an idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Table1.jpg 
Views:	6073 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	3388

Name:	Toon Kicker1.jpg 
Views:	7459 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	3389

Name:	Toon Kicker2.jpg 
Views:	4549 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	3390

Name:	EZ Steer.jpg 
Views:	4122 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	3391

I wondered how you would mount a kicker to a toon. That is awesome. Making me think I may be spending some more money on that boat...doh!

tie the two motors together with an EZ Steer and steer from the main wheel