Thread: Killer hybrid kokanee metal jig/Sonic Kandlefish

Default Killer hybrid kokanee metal jig/Sonic Kandlefish

Here is that new deadly kokanee/trout jig I mentioned in a previous posting. It's the "Sonic Kandlefish". My buddy (Mike Hall), on Flaming Gorge Reservoir, hooked three fish on his first three drops...a lake trout, a rainbow and a burbot. It can be vertically fished as a blade bait (very strong, deadly vibration / see photo on the right). As a flutter spoon (two lower versions in photo on the left), it can be vertically or swim-jigged, cast or trolled. The blade bait version is veeeeeery effective in triggering strikes when fish are not active. See photo, on the left, for the three different ways to fish it. The duo lock snap, and self-sleeving Gamakatsu black nickel hooks, make changes quick & easy. It looks like it will be available thru Yellow Bird Products.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKF 3-in 1 with description.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	3142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKF #5, blade bait version, KF logo.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	3143  

Those jigs do look interesting. With the success of your other jig (the Crippled Herring) these new one's look like they should do just as well. What exactly is the difference with these jigs verses other jigs of similar shape and design as far as producing a sonic vibration, and does the vibration occur only when the jig drops?

The sonic, I believe, is produced when the water passes by the rough sides on the jig. Thus, the sonic would be produced both on the fall and on the rise. Essentially, any movement.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    The sonic, I believe, is produced when the water passes by the rough sides on the jig. Thus, the sonic would be produced both on the fall and on the rise. Essentially, any movement.
    In my experience most hits occur on the fall. I allways thought it was the vibration which is caused by the rotation of the jig in a free state (falling) with no tension on the line thus produceing an erratic action (think of a buzz bomb.) Maybe with these "sonic" jigs it's something different?

Producing sonic vibrations and strikes aren't exactly the same science. The jig is producing vibrations both on the fall and the rise, which attracts the fish in from a distance. The strike on the fall has more to do with the fish being qued into injured bait fish dropping in the water column.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

What about different colors???? Looks like something I will definately get wet next spring.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Default Sonic Kandlefish is now the Sonic BaitFish

I hope to answer the previous questions with this reply.

First...The Sonic Kandlefish was recently acquired by Mack's Lure in Wenatchee, WA. The name was also changed to the Sonic BaitFish. The primary reason is that the fresh water anglers in the U.S., and Canada, are not familiar with a Kandlefish" which is the registered trademark for a candlefish...a member of the smelt family. In short, the name "baitfish" generally eliminates any confusion. Basically, the action of the Sonic BaitFish is that of an injured bait fish. Classic example...the Crippled Herring. The original Kandlefish is marketed by Yellow Bird Products in Spring Grove, IL.

Secondly...Here's the real difference from all other lures. 1) The Sonic Baitfish (SBF) can be vertically jigged (7) different ways...see attachment. There are days where fish prefer the action in the blade bait-type (vibration) version. Other days, they want the flutter of a "jigging spoon". No need for a bunch of different lures. You have it all by just changing the snap location, and the self-sleeving double Gamakatsu black nickel (ultra sharp) hooks, on your SBF. 2) It is also one of the deadliest casting & trolling lures you will ever use. The SBF will outfish most conventional casting & trolling spoons because of its lively fluttering and darting action. It also looks like a real bait fish instead of a spoon. 3) The SBF's snap/line attachment, to its balance point on the back, creates a blade bait vibration, not only on the lift, but also on the drop. It's the lift that attracts and the drop that triggers the strike.

Thirdly...The proposed colors/finishes are...nickel/silver plate; gold plate; white glow; firetiger; "kokanee hot orange"; fluorescent green chartreuse back with a glow belly. Possible future finishes...copper & UV.

Hope this helps. The SBF has been deadly in the Pacific NW for trout, salmon and kokanee. Here in Florida fresh water, casting the 1/10 oz nickel-plated SBF has been scary-effective for largemouth bass, bream and oscars. It's rigged with the double hook on the nose and the snap on the tail. Casting it, in this backward version, parallel to shoreline cover in the early morning and late afternoon, has hammered the fish every time out. I would think, if it's catching this many fish "backwards", how good is it by casting head first?
    Salt water is next. Thus far, it's been deadly on snook around bridge pilings.

Be safe on the water...Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	3252  

Please see my recent reply from another post. Basically, the action evolves from two different sources...critical balance point for the vibration version and the manner in which the sides of the lure is designed. Texture is more for appearance and not action. Thanks...Pete

Excellent response! I'm giving you an "A" for your perception. Thanks...Pete

I fish the Sonic baitFish (SBF) exactly the opposite of the "loose line" concept with the Buzz Bomb. The SBF can be fished so many different ways. One of my favorites is "dead-sticking". After the cast, I engage my reel (spinning or casting, both work the same) and point my rod tip towards where the lure hit the water. I hold the rod still and let the lure flutter & dart thru the water column on a TIGHT line. This does three things...1) It gives the SBF an even wider swinging, fluttering action; 2) I can detect even the slightest bite, especially with braided line; 3) I get better hook-sets on a tight line. Too many fish are lost, or the bite never felt, on a loose line!!

Good question. Thank you...Pete

With the 'Blade bait" version of the Sonic BaitFish, it vibrates (rapid side-to-side, windshield wiper-type action) on the lift and fall. Good question and an important one! Thanks...Pete