Thread: odd rod!!!

Unhappy odd rod!!!

I really need to stay off ebay... wandering around e bay last night looking for lead line rod options and stumbled on to a new" Fenwick Elite Tech- 11 ft -M,,mf..- walleye trolling.. downrigger.. rod "with a built in line counter on the shaft. Never heard of such a thing so I drop a 33.00 what the heck auto bid on it and go to bed. Guess what.!!! I own it. Anyone know what reel,line it uses and why so long. I own a 14 ft Alumacraft with a 9.9 Nissan I named "E Bay Oops" for the same reason.You think I would learn..

nice....

well I dont feel so dumb now, I guess no one here has ever heard of this rod either. I will set it up as a side line (long reach) with a small level wind and maybe 18 lb braid That will put it closer to the bow so I can work that long rod with a netter by the stern. Dont know how you would single handed net a fish with an 11 ft rod unless you choked it by the middle and that seems like a reciepe for a break. Thanks anyway

Did a little searching and this is what I found:

Product Description
    A rod designed for the Walleye angler with all applications and techniques in mind.

The Fenwick Elite Tech Trolling System is designed for precise trolling. Built around an "Exact-Match" deflection process that creates a spread with identical actions, allowiong for total control over your presenation. The rods feature the Relay Line Counter, a proprietary line counting system built into the rod, giving you absolute accuracy and the ability to use any reel for your trolling.

Lure Weight 3/8 - 3/4 oz
    Rod Action: Medium Fast
    Line Weight: 8-20 lb
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

thanks, those are some pretty high claims Any idea if the counter is line specific?? tried the Fenwick site but no info>>

ralph, since you own it, my recommendation would be to run 10' - 20' of line through the counter and calibrate between what the counter says and the actual line measured with a tape says. If you pull out 20' of line and the counter reads 18', you know you are off 10%. That being said, the counter should not really come into play with the lead core since you can count colors. You should always know what you've got out with lead.

too long and wippy for lead, will run it as a flat line. will test and report thanks

You could cut it in half and make two regular trolling rods out of it.

I've never heard of a kokanee rod that long. I guess with a long rod, you don't need as much line out.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Monte, look up noodle rods. I fished with a friend's rod like that once and it was a hoot. It is like fishing with a giant piece of spaghetti.