Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loon Lake

downgiggerl:

Thanks. I had no idea where it was. Photo came thru fine now. Looks like the fish size is about the same as the bigger ones in Merwin here close to me.. We were fishing Curlew lake around the middle of May for rainbows and did real well. Do you think Loon would be fishing well about then? Lake Chelan might be another option at that time? It's a 10 hour drive for me to get to Curlew from here so it might be a little closer to Loon. I know Chelan would be. Are there any cabins for rent there? I'd like to learn about fishing at night times if you'd like to share. I'm a newcomer to this kokanee thing. Thank you.
    Denny

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mom's Birthday 046.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	6509

Hi Denny,
    You must live in the Portland area? That's a long drive for you up to Curlew. Chelan kicked out some really nice kokes this spring. It's hard to say how the fishing will be in May at Loon but just up the road is a lake called Waitts. It has cabins and two resorts. Trout fishing along with German browns is great. This is a picture of a friend with a brood stock trout caught in the middle of May.
    Alan
    Last edited by MackPrince; 07-17-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Forgot to tell you that I posted how to night fish on a reply to Brisco three weeks ago or so. Night fishing at Loon kicks off in mid to late June and lasts through summer. It's a blast!

doenriggeral:

Thanks for the help. I will look into Waitts lake for next spring for sure. Yes, I live about an hour north of Portland. It is about 8 hours for me to get to Spokane. We had never fished Curlew till this spring. We stayed at Fishermans Cove. It was a real nice place to stay too. We were originally going to fish Palmer for kokes, but I was told they weren't very big there this year again. So we went to Curlew. I tried to find the post where you explained how to night fish to Brisco about 3 weeks ago, but didn't have any luck yet. I'll keep trying. Tight Lines. Thanks again for the help.
    Denny

That is a long drive Denny. Do you fish both Merwin and Yale?
    Here is the link to the Brisco conversation: http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...t-Mission-6-15
    Alan

Alan: Yes I have been fishing Merwin this year. I just started fishing kokes this spring, It's been a blast. The fish in Merwin are running around 14 inches or so for the big ones and 9-10 inches for the small ones. It was real hot fishing the month of May for me, but it has cooled down somewhat the last couple times I've been up there. It takes me just over an hour each way. I haven't fished Yale yet, but i have heard the bite has been real good. The fish are running 10+ inches or so. Too many fish in there for the amount of feed I think. It's the same thing at Coldwater lake where I flyfish for rainbows mostly. There are those who think catching 11-13 inch rainbows up there is great. But it isn't even close to having the size of fish up there like it used to be 15-20 years ago. I started fishing it when it first was opened in the later 80's and there were alot of fish in the 19-21 inch size back then.
    So now I do alot of salmon fishing on the Columbia and now some kokanee fishing. We are headed for Seiku in Sept.
    Thanks for the info on night fishing. I think i would have to actually see the setup to be able to duplicate it tho. Tight Lines.
    Denny

Fished Loon last night. We had very unsettled weather for the last couple of days with thunder storms etc. Got on the lake, set up @34' , settled in and the bite was HOT! There was a lite breeze with some ripple putting just the right movement on the jigs. We caught 23 for three of us by 10:30 then the wind stopped and there was an eerie calm...like before the storm? The hot bite STOPPED and shortly the wind started to howl...man was it tough to pull the anchors!! Luckily we launched at the Granite Point resort and it was only a short jaunt to the launch.

It really stormed about an hour after I got home; thunder lightening and pouring rain. Glad I was home by the time it hit. Alan

I hauled the boat back was thinking about hitting loon this weekend of the 17th

Fished Loon Friday night. Oh boy....got a late start and left the lantern in the truck to boot. Got started about 9:30; an hour late. Glad we were close to the Granite Point Resort where we launched to go back and get the lantern. Ended with 20 caught on corn and maggots in 35' of water. They are still in nice shape so we can catch a few more before the salmon trip in September.

Not many out night fishing as the weather had been unsettled.

Well my plan to hit loon on the 17 fizzled guy backed out at 7 pm on Friday night.
    So we set up a whitefish run on Sunday, He back on that Saturday nite at 8:30. Now he sees the Snake season as is hinting "WE" need to go do that. Told him I will.

Was thinking about making a run Friday nite but we just hit the monsoon season up there for about 45 minutes.

Hit the Lake up by me This Saturday to see whats going on. Limit is 5 but the last 2 run I have made I'm done in less than 2 hours, Should be sooner but some shake off right behind the boat. Had close to 9 fish on in 2 hours and boated 5.

loon lake where? the loon lake by me dosrnt have kokanee in the Tahoe national forest

Loon Lake is located 28 miles north of Spokane Washington.

Default Kokanee

Hey all, I will be out this year trying my luck kokanee fishing. I have read a lot online that they bite at things they do not like. Such as lures. I was wondering if anybody has luck with glow hooks and maggots? Maybe a leader off the bottom?

Swedish Pimple 1/4 oz in glow with Mack's glow hook attached 4 to 6 inches below shopeg corn maggots. Night fished with floating lights and lantern in the boat. Super lite fiberglass rods really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Hey all, I will be out this year trying my luck kokanee fishing. I have read a lot online that they bite at things they do not like. Such as lures. I was wondering if anybody has luck with glow hooks and maggots? Maybe a leader off the bottom?

That is typically what I use and have had decent luck. Like others mention, use light rod/tackle and surface lights.

Quote Originally Posted by downriggeral View Post
    Swedish Pimple 1/4 oz in glow with Mack's glow hook attached 4 to 6 inches below shopeg corn maggots. Night fished with floating lights and lantern in the boat. Super lite fiberglass rods really help.
    never tried fishing for them at night. Do you just drift with the light? How is it done?

You have to anchor to night fish with lights. You can see some of the where and how on Northwest Fishing Reports for Loon lake in Stevens county, Wa. I am downriggeral there too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12